• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Top loading possible on Givi Trekker side cases?

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I’m planning a longer NC trip soon and shopping for some different side cases. I have SW-Motech racks that mount Givi/Kappa Monokey cases. Over many years of experience, I have learned that I very much prefer top loading sides cases, not the split suitcase style. The current choice in top loaders is mainly the boxy metal cases, but over concern with my large dry bag on Dale’s rack interfering with the longitudinal lid opening style of these type cases, I’m not sure if the will work.

So, my question is in regards to the dual opening lid system on the Givi Trekker (TRK33) side cases. If you have experience with them, does the little top opening section of the case lid offer good access when used as a top loader? Or, is the opening too small to get much in and out of the case from the top? Ideally, I’d like to be able to access the case contents without removing the case from the bike.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I have the Givi 33 ltr hard bags. Just opening the split top doesn't provide room to remove/load large items. I often use it to get different gloves or remove my Frogg Togg jacket. If it's something larger you can also open the rest of the lid.

Uploading a bunch of photos that show the different opening dimensions of the trekker 33.
As you (hopefully) can see the opening is slightly reduced at the latch. 20201115_153013.jpg20201115_153101.jpg20201115_153146.jpg20201115_153323.jpg20201115_154413.jpg
Personally, I pack in separate stuff sacks, the largest of which can fit with some finagling. I also included a photo with a piece of white PVC trim running over top both of the side case handles. I figured that might give you a sense of how much Room still exists if you have something loaded on your Dale's rack.
Let me know if I can grab any other numbers for you.

I like mine. I like ability to easily remove and use like suitcase in tent or hotel. I also like being able to access some things while on bike. Not everything can be taken out too while on bike but not an issue for me.

How big is the duffle you will carry on the Dales Rack?
The drybag measures roughly 24 inches wide. The width of my sidecase racks is 18 inches. That means if I have the drybag on, it could overhang the top of the top loading sidecase lids by a couple inches or so. That should be OK with the half lid design of the Trekkers, but not good with a case like the Alaska model.

Still pondering . . .

Uploading a bunch of photos that show the different opening dimensions of the trekker 33.
As you (hopefully) can see the opening is slightly reduced at the latch. View attachment 43597View attachment 43598View attachment 43599View attachment 43600View attachment 43601
Personally, I pack in separate stuff sacks, the largest of which can fit with some finagling. I also included a photo with a piece of white PVC trim running over top both of the side case handles. I figured that might give you a sense of how much Room still exists if you have something loaded on your Dale's rack.
Let me know if I can grab any other numbers for you.
76, this is awesome information, with measurements and all! Thank you!

Why can’t the manufacturer provide this stuff? Instead I can barely find a photo of the Trekker with the lid open. Givi’s worst trait is poor documentation and marketing info.

76, this is awesome information, with measurements and all! Thank you!

Why can’t the manufacturer provide this stuff? Instead I can barely find a photo of the Trekker with the lid open. Givi’s worst trait is poor documentation and marketing info.
Glad it was helpful, a drop in the bucket of helpful info I've seen you share.

The drybag measures roughly 24 inches wide. The width of my sidecase racks is 18 inches. That means if I have the drybag on, it could overhang the top of the top loading sidecase lids by a couple inches or so. That should be OK with the half lid design of the Trekkers, but not good with a case like the Alaska model.

Still pondering . . .
My dry bag is also 24" wide.

The dry bag is strapped to my Dale's Rack.

My side cases are Hepco & Becker Gobi hard cases. They have a hinge along the "bike side" of each case and the top fully opens. I had to "smush" the dry bag to the left when I accessed the right case. And again to the right side when I accessed the left case. So while you are looking at a different brand of cases, I'd bet that with the 1/2 opening design of the Givi Trecker you would have no problem accessing the interior of the case through the partial top opening. Whether or not you can get what you need out of that partial opening is a different matter, but I don't see accessing the opening as an issue.

Back