• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

top case color match

NCX19

Reaction score
Visit site
Dropbox - HondaPics - Simplify your life

Thought those with topcases may be curious what it would look like painted. (Shad case/rack)
Backrest pad is on order.

- light 800 grit wetsand
- tack cloth wipedown with alcohol
- mask off unpainted areas
- adhesion promoter spray 2 coats, and apply first paint coat while tacky
- 4 coats paint
- 3 coats 2K clear
Could use a 600 wetsand and 2000 2nd wetsand plus another coat or 2 of clear
However the clear has to harden 12 hours before sanding, and the pot life is about 12 hours ... previous experience is its too thick to use after 4 hours. Will need another $20 spray can of 2K clear, but decided it good enough as is.

Case lid has a fine texture, but finish is smooth after the clear flowed. There is still some fine texture (not orange peel) in the finish.
Hence a good wet sand at the 2nd coat or better clear stage after its cured would elevate it to OEM quality.

All paints were rattle cans.

Paint is one of 2 very very close Ford colors with pearls.
I think the lighter of the 2 would have been a better match, but the OEM paint has light and dark shifts depending on the angle.
This finish matches the darker tone of the OEM, but doesn't have the OEMs variability.

Auto body supply shop matched and supplied in a rattle can
2K clear is in a rattle can with a hardener you activate internally pressing a button on bottom.
Paint and clear both have awesome nozzles that provide a nice fan, unlike a standard spray paint.
Hold 10" from work, slower speed and overlap 50% (leave a wet coat)
Base dries matte Dont sand - you will remove color from pearl flakes. Though you could sand at 2nd last coat, and apply one more.
The base coat paint has a very long shelf life. It dries in about 20 min.

Last edited:
agreed. Sets off the entire bike, very nice job Sir! :{)

On a side note, i have been trying to get to your island this summer and now that Fall is nearly in the air i don't know if i'll make it this year or not. Do you have any suggestions for sights to see, places to visit etc? Sadly i'll only have scheduled 2 days on the island this trip. I'm sure i'll have more another time. :{)

Last edited:
2 days???? so much here. My ex came for a 2 week visit, and we were exploring every day.

Two popular rides are
1) trip around Shawnigan lake. Beer at Black Swan Pub, or cobble stone pub (just redone)
2) trip from just past Cowichan Lake on an old paved logging road to Port Renfrew. Beer in Port Renfrew by the water
Then back same way (feels like a different trip), or towards Victoria via Sooke.

Places to see - each group is a 1 day itenerary:
Past Nanaimo:
coombs - market and goats on the roof. Tratoria restaraunt terrace and beer
little qualicum falls
cathedral grove
Parksville beach, sand castles in season
Rathtrevor beach

Downtown Vic:
Beacon park
Fort rodd
Ogden point
Inner harbor area and a few blocks up government st. for tourist shops and pubs

There's lots more.

Last edited:
Dropbox - HondaPics - Simplify your life

Thought those with topcases may be curious what it would look like painted. (Shad case/rack)
Backrest pad is on order.

- light 800 grit wetsand
- tack cloth wipedown with alcohol
- mask off unpainted areas
- adhesion promoter spray 2 coats, and apply first paint coat while tacky
- 4 coats paint
- 3 coats 2K clear
Could use a 600 wetsand and 2000 2nd wetsand plus another coat or 2 of clear
However the clear has to harden 12 hours before sanding, and the pot life is about 12 hours ... previous experience is its too thick to use after 4 hours. Will need another $20 spray can of 2K clear, but decided it good enough as is.

Case lid has a fine texture, but finish is smooth after the clear flowed. There is still some fine texture (not orange peel) in the finish.
Hence a good wet sand at the 2nd coat or better clear stage after its cured would elevate it to OEM quality.

All paints were rattle cans.

Paint is one of 2 very very close Ford colors with pearls.
I think the lighter of the 2 would have been a better match, but the OEM paint has light and dark shifts depending on the angle.
This finish matches the darker tone of the OEM, but doesn't have the OEMs variability.

Auto body supply shop matched and supplied in a rattle can
2K clear is in a rattle can with a hardener you activate internally pressing a button on bottom.
Paint and clear both have awesome nozzles that provide a nice fan, unlike a standard spray paint.
Hold 10" from work, slower speed and overlap 50% (leave a wet coat)
Base dries matte Dont sand - you will remove color from pearl flakes. Though you could sand at 2nd last coat, and apply one more.
The base coat paint has a very long shelf life. It dries in about 20 min.

I did something very similar.

Using Duplicolor brand primer, paint and clear coat I spray painted my top & side boxes. They have (at least some) of the Honda matching colors.

Link to image => A2ic Vc SYTzu%6t55 G7 Uh Zw — Postimage.org

A2ic-Vc-SYTzu-6t55-G7-Uh-Zw.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job on the cases Melensdad. Great to see pics of other custom work. Happens the adhesion promoter I used was Duplicolor. It acts like a primer as well. Paint is applied while its still tacky.

2 days???? so much here. My ex came for a 2 week visit, and we were exploring every day.

Two popular rides are
1) trip around Shawnigan lake. Beer at Black Swan Pub, or cobble stone pub (just redone)
2) trip from just past Cowichan Lake on an old paved logging road to Port Renfrew. Beer in Port Renfrew by the water
Then back same way (feels like a different trip), or towards Victoria via Sooke.

Places to see - each group is a 1 day itenerary:
Past Nanaimo:
coombs - market and goats on the roof. Tratoria restaraunt terrace and beer
little qualicum falls
cathedral grove
Parksville beach, sand castles in season
Rathtrevor beach

Downtown Vic:
Beacon park
Fort rodd
Ogden point
Inner harbor area and a few blocks up government st. for tourist shops and pubs