• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Top Box and side case

turbodieseli4i6

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a dilemma here. I really like the Hondaline top box and side cases on my GL1200, because they use the same key as the ignition.

NC700X Accessories Gallery

GIVI Top case TwistedThrottle.com

GIVI has keyless side boxes that are pleasing to my eyes but I didn't see a keyless top box. Givi E41 Keyless Monokey Sidecases/Saddlebags (pair) - 41 liters/case - Givi E41 : TwistedThrottle.com

GIVI also has a light kit for the side case. AdMore Lighting LED Kit for Givi E41 sidecases - AML.LED41.S.TS : TwistedThrottle.com

If I get all Hondaline, I have a one key system. If I get the GIVI I can keep a extra key for the bike and top case in one of the side cases.
They both have there strong/weak points. I think I like the looks of the GIVI better, but its hard to be sure until I see them on the bike in person.

Quality wise how do they compare?

Do you think this GIVI setup is to big for the NC? 55 liter top case vs Honda 45 liter.
41 liter vs 29 liter Hondaline.

One key verses two makes it hard not to go with Honda.

Comment/concerns?

What do you think?

I have the Givi monokey top case GIVI E55 TECH - Cases & Top Cases and the side bags GIVI V35 - Side hardbags on my VFR. The racks on that are detachable. I'm looking to get the racks for the NX.

Back to the Givi. I ordered a set of 3 locks from Givi to key all the bags the same. Very easy to swap the locks out by the way. The factory bags for the VFR were made by Givi. I would be willing to bet the Hondaline bags for the NX are also made by Givi,

Givi's quality is top notch. They are secure on the bike the locks are very secure. I have had them on the VFR for around 10k miles without any issues. I only use the bags when I tour. For local rides they are off the bike.

Since you asked for comments, I will pen a few of my PERSONAL preferences.

I would not put a 55L topcase on the NCX, because it looks too big and clumsy. It is surely functional and can hold 2 helmets, but then I chose instead the 35L (1 helmet) topcase. There are some photos around the internet with these big boxes. TBH, I don't like the look of them. Too big, for my taste. (wait, wait for barking dogs...)

I personally would not also put on side boxes.
This is a SMALL bike and they will just make the bike look unbalanced and not elegant.

I am not confident that you can actually get a single-key solution for either the Honda boxes or the Givi boxes. I thought I could, but then I did not get it.
The key assembly for my 35L Honda topcase, looked just too small for the big Honda key. The Honda case comes with a smaller sized key.

Last edited:
"Since you asked for comments, I will pen a few of my PERSONAL preferences.
I would not put a 55L topcase on the NCX, because it looks too big and clumsy."

I was thinking it would be too big also, The Honda 45 liter doesn't look bad to me though.

"I personally would not also put on side boxes.
This is a SMALL bike and they will just make the bike look unbalanced and not elegant."

I totally understand where your coming from about the looks Happy, but I put function before form on the NCX. (on most things)
If it can't do what I need it to do, then it doesn't have a home with me. I'm not out to impress anyone with a fashion statement,
and wont loose any sleep if someone doesn't like what I like.
If aesthetics is more important than function with someone Else's bike, or they just don't need the extra capacity. I'm cool with that too!

The Honda top-case for the NCX shows a 45 liter box on there site. NC700X Accessories Gallery
When I saw the side bags with the 1 key system picture. I just assumed the top case was also, since My Goldwing has one key for the trunk,cases and ignition.

If my ignition key wont work on all the cases I may get the GIVI or another brand. If I can get something that looks good and do what I need,
all the better.

I do think the Honda 29 liter side cases fit the bike well, but the V35 NT looks better to me.

It would be a lot easier if I could see the cases and judge for myself, but nobody around here keeps stock.

Thank for your feed back and keep them coming! Hopefully I can get this sorted out without wasting too much money.:D

... but I put function before form on the NCX. (on most things)
Thank for your feed back and keep them coming! Hopefully I can get this sorted out without wasting too much money.:D

If you are doing tours, that is a totally different story.
My NCX is a weekend warrior.
If I were to take up touring again (I have young children now), I'd surely buy another tourer. A friend just took delivery of a new VFR1200 today!
For single touring, I am ok with 2 bags (topcase and the phoney tank hole).
For any 2-up touring, 3 boxes are needed. And I do think the NCX will be underpowered for any serious speed or uphill.
Anyone can tour anyplace with a smaller cc bike etc, but it will not be COMFORTABLE.

True I rember many years ago touring on my 1st bike a 1959 BSA C15 250 single Hardly a high powered bike but we managed to enjoy it all the same. People have toured the world on Honda C90s so you don;t need a a big bike. Just enjoy the bike the bike you have to the best of it's capabilities.
I'm sure that the NC is more than capeable of a 2 up tour with luggage although it may be at a slower pace than a Wing or a big BMW

True I rember many years ago touring on my 1st bike a 1959 BSA C15 250 single Hardly a high powered bike but we managed to enjoy it all the same. People have toured the world on Honda C90s so you don;t need a a big bike. Just enjoy the bike the bike you have to the best of it's capabilities.
I'm sure that the NC is more than capeable of a 2 up tour with luggage although it may be at a slower pace than a Wing or a big BMW

I think the biggest limitation of a bike is the rider, not the bike.
I just gave my 9 year old a ride on the NC and he loved it. It's no Goldwing for sure because we took it out after the NC.
I think he liked the NC better because its new, but after 2 hours I bet he would change his mind! ;)
The NC's seat would need replaced before I would consider a pillion for any distance,
Heck I want more leg room without a passenger the way it is!
The top box and side cases are for transporting the things I require to and from work and home.
If I decide to tour on the NC with the added storage I guarantee I can make it work if the aftermarket complies.
I promise not to try to force anyone else to like what I want or need, or wont condemn them in there likes.
I just want to be able to carry anything from a power head for a chainsaw, 30 pack of beer or 50,000,000 rounds of ammo (joke. You know us Yanks like our guns!)

You are quite correct about the gun thing. Our new daughter in law has just come out of the US Army and she thought we were joking when we told her that she couldn't carry a gun in the UK. She is gradually getting used to our ways but if only I could get her to call our national game "football" and NOT "soccer":) :)

What a American girl married outside our country! Doesn't she know you guy's talk funny;).
Well at least her Farther-in-Law likes bikes. lol

I haven't even seen the NC700X in person yet (let alone ridden one) because the Honda shop nearest to me hasn't gotten one in yet. But, based on the pictures I've been drooling over for the past several months, I really like the looks of the Honda top case. Somewhat related, as mentioned before being just a matter of aesthetics, but I like the look of the Honda rack better, too. I believe there will likely be times when I'll take the cases off and leave them behind in my garage in order to ride the twisty roads with less weight on the bike. The Honda rack, in my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions - they're like certain body cavities that everyone has), looks more "continuous" with the design of the bike and more pleasing to this pair of eyes, anyway.

I haven't even seen the NC700X in person yet (let alone ridden one) because the Honda shop nearest to me hasn't gotten one in yet. But, based on the pictures I've been drooling over for the past several months, I really like the looks of the Honda top case. Somewhat related, as mentioned before being just a matter of aesthetics, but I like the look of the Honda rack better, too. I believe there will likely be times when I'll take the cases off and leave them behind in my garage in order to ride the twisty roads with less weight on the bike. The Honda rack, in my opinion (and you know what they say about opinions - they're like certain body cavities that everyone has), looks more "continuous" with the design of the bike and more pleasing to this pair of eyes, anyway.

I imagine That will be what I end up with. My Goldwing cases has held up for 27 years, so I trust the quality.

I agree with this. It just looks more "elegant" to me.
And best part is, I got them all for free.
:p

Back