• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Took a Spill

Garry, sorry to hear about your spill. Glad you are OK. I wouldn't be in a hurry in making any decisions about quitting riding. Give yourself some time to heal and then jump back on the bike and see how you feel about it then. Maybe a little time to just to get a clear perspective on things and to evaluate the situation. As others have said only you will know what your capabilities are.

I'm 69 and have 6 bikes, the latest is a Kawasaki ZX14 that I'm putting bar risers on, but I also have an FJR, Concours, Suzuki B King, Yamaha FZ6R and the NC700X. I like to ride aggressively, but less so than the past. I've totaled 3 bikes over my 55 years of riding, but thankfully never been hurt seriously. My advice is to give it some time, and I'll bet by late spring, you'll want to be riding again--it's addictive. I don't know what I'll do when I'm no longer physically able to ride, but I'm going to ride every chance I get. I'm still working (I've got a son in dental school), and have been diagnosed with chronic lymphoma (I'm ok for now), so riding time is precious to me. Just keep on truckin'.

It's funny, with all the hate. Personally, I really like the looks of the new Can-Am Ryker, and the price is actually reasonable. But everyone has their own views. If I ever get to where I can't do 2 wheels, something like that, for me, is a viable alternative to being caged up.

Yep, I like the look and the ergonomics isnt bad for an entry level priced machine (the handlebars and foot controls are adjustable without the need for tools). C&C Powersports pissed me off so I wont be purchasing anything from them-probably ever; the Rykers come in a 600 cc version (msrp-$8499) and the 900 cc comes in two versions (Rally and non-rally: $9999 for the non-rally and $10,999 for the Rally). If you buy OEM side cases, there is only one-for the non exhaust side; you can choose to have a passenger seat or a top box-not both. Going to Florida and may head over to the Daytona track during bike week and see if they have any for test rides...

There is a three wheeler that leans, the review I read said it was a much better ride than they thought it would be.

Yamaha Niken

View attachment 37818
Yamaha Niken Review – 4theriders a friend of mine rode one and really liked it

IMG_9428-L.jpg

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I'll may be reviewing them again in a few weeks as I consider the future. I'll keep you posted.

if I was getting something with 3 wheels I'd at least want it to lean properly rather than ride like a quad

2018_YME_NIKEN_Standard_Static-4.jpg

I figure when I hit the age where I'm worried about two wheels, I'm just going to throw a sidecar on my bike and keep riding off into that sunset.

Until then, I will be a firm believer that motorcycles are safer than cars. With half the wheels, it must be half as dangerous.

I'm not much for three wheels, but those Nikens are quite a piece of engineering. I wouldn't mind trying one out.

Thanks for your encouragement. I've been getting back into riding and feeling more and more confident. Finally feel back in the groove today. Took off for a two day ride to Deals Gap and surrounding areas. Getting ready to ride the Tail of the Dragon this afternoon. More later.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your encouragement. I've been getting back into riding and feeling more and more confident. Finally feel back in the groove today. Took off for a two day ride to Deals Gap and surrounding areas. Getting ready to ride the Tail of the Dragon this afternoon. More later.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Wow, sorry to hear about your crash man, and glad you didn't give it up! Now you just have an extra cool story to tell when bs'ing around bikes! I crashed, broke both legs completely into, ended up losing one, bound to wheelchair for 8.5 months, returned to work at the 11 month mark, and in about 6 more months bought another bike. Nobody likes a quitter! Ride within your means and your bike's means. Push it, but with an intention of having fun, not to be faster than someone. It is possible to ride safe AND fast, so long as you value safety over quickness.

Fact: I don't know anyone who is a badass rider that doesn't have at least one or two bad crash stories. Most the time, it's more than just one or two.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Deals Gap...Tail of the Dragon

Wow, talk about deciding to ride again! As I re-read this thread it was like your accident just happened and then it turns out you are riding the Tail, like, right now!
Congrats on the recovery. Wishing you the best.

I finally bit the gravel last Thursday night. Being as I live in the desert, we don't see much rain so I try to be extra careful when there is. I was completing my 18 mile commute home from downtown Albuquerque and literally turning into my driveway. In a flash, I'm down... bike kind of tossed me forward. My Acerbis hand guard prevented any damage to the bike, my right ankle and shoulder were not so lucky. Got a little nauseated immediately and the engine shut off right away. Right arm didn't want to work so it was a struggle to get off my helmet. After I did, I decided that I really didn't want to leave it laying at the base of my driveway. So I did the old "use the back up to pickup the bike" trick. Once it was up I realized I was on the wrong side to access the kickstand. My ankle was still killing me too. Worked my way around it and got the stand down. Pushed it onto the sidewalk and made the long limp in to explain to the missus that the motorcycle and I needed a hand. She graciously came out and helped me umph it into the garage. The throttle was stuck from the compression of the hand guard but otherwise ok. Put ice on ankle and shoulder until early am. Around 6 I elected to go the emergency room as things were not feeling as they should. They x-rayed the ankle and shoulder and found a hairline fracture on the right ankle. Nothing visible with the right shoulder. My left shoulder already has a torn tendon so I know what I may be in for. I wear Olympia Mesh Gear here as it's pretty hot this time of year. I was also helmeted and rain geared over the mesh. I need to get real bike boots as I was wearing Blundstones which have no protection for the ankle. I love my Shinko 705's but I may have contributed to my demise by mounting the rear the wrong way. The point of the tread is pointing toward the back of the bike, which I knew was not the way it should. It was so hard to mount it originally that I decided to try it and see how it went.... Dry pavement, no problems. Wet pavement, big problem. It went down like it was on ice, and it wasn't. I think the rear slid and the front followed suit as I turned right on a slight downhill arc toward the driveway. Thank goodness I was on a silent neighborhood street when i did bite the asphalt. Anyway, I'm in a walking boot and a sling and when I can use my shoulder again I plan to remount the rear the right way. Already loosened the throttle from the hand guard and it seems fine. Happy trails to everyone out there.

Glad you're okay.
I had a bad accident, where some lady decided that she didn't want me to get in front of her and sped up, knocking me off my bike when I went to change lanes. Frame damage totaled the bike but my injuries were minor in comparison. I'd already be up and riding but because IL law said she was in the right because she was already in the lane, I couldn't sue her. So all the insurance money I got for the bike went to pay off my medical bills. So I have to start saving all over again. Unfortunately this year we aren't getting as much overtime, so its going to take much longer raise funds for a bike. And I refuse to do a go-fund-me for a non-necessity. I'll get a bike when I can afford a bike.
My point being, you should never let anyone stop you from doing something you enjoy. My wife didn't want me to have a bike in the first place. I enjoyed riding for two years before the accident. Did I regret it? Absolutely not. Would I do it again? Abso-freaking-loutly. Life is too short to live in fear and die in regret.
Techrat

Glad you're okay.
I had a bad accident, where some lady decided that she didn't want me to get in front of her and sped up, knocking me off my bike when I went to change lanes. Frame damage totaled the bike but my injuries were minor in comparison. I'd already be up and riding but because IL law said she was in the right because she was already in the lane, I couldn't sue her. So all the insurance money I got for the bike went to pay off my medical bills. So I have to start saving all over again. Unfortunately this year we aren't getting as much overtime, so its going to take much longer raise funds for a bike. And I refuse to do a go-fund-me for a non-necessity. I'll get a bike when I can afford a bike.
My point being, you should never let anyone stop you from doing something you enjoy. My wife didn't want me to have a bike in the first place. I enjoyed riding for two years before the accident. Did I regret it? Absolutely not. Would I do it again? Abso-freaking-loutly. Life is too short to live in fear and die in regret.
Techrat

Some screaming good deals on some used and even left-over new out there. Hope you land back on two wheels sooner than later.:cool:

Back