• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Toggling sport mode (2015 NC700X)

mycroft96

Reaction score
Visit site
Had a lovely visit with user Fredtoo yesterday and bought his NC from him. The bike is in great condition and am having a blast on it so far; i'll post up some pics in a bit. Quick question that I can't seem to find reference to on the interwebs or the owners manual: is there a secret to changing from regular D mode to S mode? I can't seem to get the bike to shift to S mode. AT/MT toggle works and the D/N side of that toggle works as well. I've tried at a standstill with the kickstand up and down, same with the parking brake engaged and rolling less than 10 mph and less than 50 mph.

I haven’t ridden a DCT for a long time, but I’ll take a stab at your question. According to the operator manual, S mode is engaged by pressing the D/S side of the N-D switch. If you pressed the switch to get to D mode, does pressing it again go to S mode? You should be able to toggle between D and S with the D/S (left) side of the switch. If that is not working, try making sure the throttle is closed when you press the switch.
0DE47185-86D8-4E87-BDBA-2431B943846A.jpeg

Last edited:
Welp, even after 30+ bikes into my riding career, i'm clearly still capable of suspending common sense. I'm recollecting my attempts yesterday and thinking about the design of that switch. I was pushing the S side of the switch to the right, which (as I clearly see the following day) is the same switch motion as pressing the N side. I'll test that theory after I fix the current problem of the gear selector being blank after cranking. I can't get the thing into gear after the engine starts, which I suspect is a function of a flat battery. (Fredtoo was clear and open about the fact that it needed to be replaced so nothing on him.)

The switch labeling is a little wierd. Honda calls it the N-D switch, but it probably should be S/D-N switch. The way they labeled the left side of the actual switch, with the S and D on different surfaces, could create confusion. It’s N to the right, S and D both to the left. There is no need to ever push on the surface labeled S.

Fair enough. Any thoughts on the gear indicator scenario? Symptom scenario: bike running/idling, green neutral indicator light illuminated, gear indicator blank (no dashes or other indicators), won't engage drive or manual mode. Resting voltage is 12.8v and idling voltage is 14.5v. Happened on a ride yesterday, but was able to disconnect the battery to reset and get back home. Same thing happened this morning. I suspect the battery, but was just curious if this was a known behavior.

I've seen the comments from other threads about the DCT system being finicky about voltage which is the reason for my line of questioning.

Fair enough. Any thoughts on the gear indicator scenario? Symptom scenario: bike running/idling, green neutral indicator light illuminated, gear indicator blank (no dashes or other indicators), won't engage drive or manual mode. Resting voltage is 12.8v and idling voltage is 14.5v. Happened on a ride yesterday, but was able to disconnect the battery to reset and get back home. Same thing happened this morning. I suspect the battery, but was just curious if this was a known behavior.

I've seen the comments from other threads about the DCT system being finicky about voltage which is the reason for my line of questioning.
On the owners manual page shown below, it lists the conditions required to be able to shift to from N to D.

If your battery shows 12.8 volts after resting for a few hours, that sounds like a strong battery. Make sure the battery connections are clean and tight.

F94C2467-442F-4E0A-8777-C1D894E070E0.jpeg

Last edited:
No worries, everything worked out to be user error. Blank gear selector was just the sidestand switch (my Sportster will let you crank and go with the bike in first, clutch out, and the kickstand down which can be loads-o-fun at times). Sport mode was just me being thick headed and not realizing that you just press the D button twice to get into that mode. Everything continues to be flawless, thanks again!

20200815_123533.jpg

Last edited:
Back