• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tires with a bit more tread pattern

Mojaveken

Reaction score
Visit site
Easy question I hope. I’ve many years of off-road racing experience. I also have many years experience on pavement. So my concern is I’ve never ridden 2 up on a road bike on lime rock or sandy surfaces with the slick tires on my NC. I don’t expect to turn the NC into an adventure bike but there occasions when the preferred route, here in Florida, May involve riding in paved roads. So I’m seeking experience, please don’t offer speculation, about what kind of handling can I expect if I switch to tires with a moderate tread pattern.

Easy question I hope. I’ve many years of off-road racing experience. I also have many years experience on pavement. So my concern is I’ve never ridden 2 up on a road bike on lime rock or sandy surfaces with the slick tires on my NC. I don’t expect to turn the NC into an adventure bike but there occasions when the preferred route, here in Florida, May involve riding in paved roads. So I’m seeking experience, please don’t offer speculation, about what kind of handling can I expect if I switch to tires with a moderate tread pattern.
I've been looking into the same thing. A good 90/10 or 80/20 tire. The most popular on here seem to be the Avon Trailrider and Shinko 705. A coworker has a Ducati Multistrada bike and has Pirelli Scorpion Trail that look and ride very well. Lots of good choices.

I'm not competely sure what I'm going to do as I will be on the road 99% of the time, but just love the way the 80/20 tires look.

I've been looking into the same thing. A good 90/10 or 80/20 tire. The most popular on here seem to be the Avon Trailrider and Shinko 705. A coworker has a Ducati Multistrada bike and has Pirelli Scorpion Trail that look and ride very well. Lots of good choices.

I'm not competely sure what I'm going to do as I will be on the road 99% of the time, but just love the way the 80/20 tires look.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. I’ve been looking at the Pirelli Scorpion as well. I don’t think I’m one of those riders who drags footpegs in curves, what the hell I’m 78, but I don’t want to give up too much. That said I’m not sure how much faster I go into curves now even with Michillen AC 10 s on my DRZ400.

The Avon Trailrider has a great feel and handling and lasts a long time. Its cross-center pattern also makes it easy to tell when it's time to get a new tire. It's a great multi-compound tire that doesn't lose it on cold and/or wet roads, feels a lot more secure for much of the year here, which for me is important. In Florida you may not care ; }

* Hated the AC10 on front of my WR250R for pavement, but what a great off-road tire for conditions around here!

EDIT: The Trailrider is also good at shrugging off tar snakes and hummocks, which are plentiful here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Avon Trailrider on my NC and also my DRZ. It is a fantastic tire.
It is the only tire I will run on my NC as long as they keep making them.

Back