• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tires that fit the NC700

What type of tire do you have installed on your Honda NC

• 10% On Road / 90% Off Road

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 40% On Road / 60% Off Road

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 60% On Road / 40% Off Road

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 70% On Road / 30% Off Road

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • 80% On Road / 20% Off Road

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • 85% On Road / 15% Off Road

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 90% On Road / 10% Off Road

Votes: 26 8.2%
  • 90% On Road / 10% Track

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 95% On Road / 5% Off Road

Votes: 30 9.5%
  • 100% On Road

Votes: 189 59.6%

• Total voters
I’ve had the scorpion trails on since about May - maybe 1,000 miles. I think they are very good and as a 90/10 clearly biased towards street use. I’ve had them on fire roads and gravel and the did fine. Have had them on wet roads and felt like they gripped well, but have not yet been caught in serious rain. They feel a little squirrelly on tar snakes compared to the PR4 (I ran 3 sets of those before going for a little bit of off-road capability this time).

Overall I like the scorpions quite well and would get them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the Scorpion Trail II tires handle great but wear quickly. Too quickly for the cost. Rear <4000 miles, front a little better. I'll go with a different brand next.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I'm looking at the Pirelli Angel GT2 as a future option. Also the Michelin Road 5.

I've got 7000 miles on the stock tires and figure that I'll be changing them out at the end of this summer or in the spring.

I would love a 90/10 tire as we have gravel roads in my area but my bigger concern is wet weather traction and safety as I can choose to avoid the gravel roads and go the long way, or I can slow down a lot and transit those roads at low speeds, but I can't always choose to avoid the rain and wet. So my primary concern is a tire that sticks to the ground in wet weather conditions with a secondary wish for a tire that will deal with some of the gravel roads a bit better than the stock tires.

I'm looking at the Pirelli Angel GT2 as a future option. Also the Michelin Road 5.

... blah blah blah ...

After reading some of the reviews there is an occasional balance problem at highway speeds with the Pirelli Angel GT2 that SOME users report. Not many. But some. People who don't complain about that high speed wobble seem to love the tire.

Michelin Road 5 gets complaints about not being long lasting from riders who love blasting curves. But high marks for other things, especially wet and dry traction.

2 nails in my rear tire and a choice to make. The 2 brands are similarly priced by my local dealers. The Pirelli being about $25/set less expensive. But the high speed wobble that a small % of customers complained about stuck in my mind. I just ordered 2 sets of the Michelin Road 5 tires. One set for my bike, the other for the lovely wife.

After reading some of the reviews there is an occasional balance problem at highway speeds with the Pirelli Angel GT2 that SOME users report. Not many. But some. People who don't complain about that high speed wobble seem to love the tire.

Michelin Road 5 gets complaints about not being long lasting from riders who love blasting curves. But high marks for other things, especially wet and dry traction.

2 nails in my rear tire and a choice to make. The 2 brands are similarly priced by my local dealers. The Pirelli being about $25/set less expensive. But the high speed wobble that a small % of customers complained about stuck in my mind. I just ordered 2 sets of the Michelin Road 5 tires. One set for my bike, the other for the lovely wife.

You will love the PR5's, they are a solid tire. All the grip you will need and last plenty long enough. Not sure how many miles were on mine when I got the bike, then I put 2k more miles on them before swapping them out for track day tires. They are still sitting in my shop at what looks like 85%+ condition and I will put them back on the NC if I decide to move forward with the Tracer 900 purchase and sell the NC.

I really like the Michelin Road 5’s. They don’t track road seams or wander and they handle tar snakes well. And they do stick to the curves and take wet roads well. Granted I’m a far cry from an aggressive rider - the last time I scraped a peg it was by accident and startled the cr@p out of me. But I do like high speeds from time to time and running sweepers hard and fast. My off-road riding is infrequent enough that I didn’t need to give it much consideration.

TacomaJC said:
You will love the PR5's, they are a solid tire. All the grip you will need and last plenty long enough. Not sure how many miles were on mine when I got the bike, then I put 2k more miles on them before swapping them out for track day tires. ....
I really like the Michelin Road 5’s. They don’t track road seams or wander and they handle tar snakes well. And they do stick to the curves and take wet roads well. Granted I’m a far cry from an aggressive rider - the last time I scraped a peg it was by accident and startled the cr@p out of me. But I do like high speeds from time to time and running sweepers hard and fast. My off-road riding is infrequent enough that I didn’t need to give it much consideration.

Good to hear. My riding is a bit more spirited than my wife's riding. I don't mind riding in the wet but I want a tire that will get me there and home with water on the ground. She is a 98% dry road rider but one time when she was getting used to the DCT she actually took off on my bike across a corn field. Not sure that counts? We have groomed gravel and chip & seal roads in our rural area. Looks like the Road 5 will easily manage all the stuff we do, assuming the 1 trip through the corn was an outlier.

But as we are approaching 'geezer' status the dreams of riding Stalin's Road of Bones in Siberia have faded and thoughts of bikini watching rides along Florida's Highway A1A seem more appropriate.

Last edited:
Trying on a new pair of shoes!

Top image without flash, lower image with flash and puts a bit of different light into the treads. Both images exact same tires.

Michelin Road 5

A42-BD00-A-4506-4-E89-BCA9-B61-BF8693-DE2.jpg

8000 miles on a Avon Trailrider rear on my 2018 NC750X (had 1/32 left), 3000 miles out of the OEM Dunlop. Front Avon still looks good at the 8000 mile mark, will probably make it through the 2nd Avon rear. Good tires. :)

TKC80 Front, stock size
TKC70 Rocks rear,
Really, really happy with the tires. Great in all conditions and absolutely needed in the mud.
120/70-17 Front, 150/70-17 Rear.
Front Tire.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: DCM
For what it's worth. My 2012 NC700x has been sporting the Conti-Motion stock size (120/60 ZR17 and 160/60 ZR17) for the past 8,500 miles I've owned her. Street Driving 100% in dry Northern California spirited commuting.

It has recently started experiencing a slow leak. 3,000 miles ago, I replaced the valves as with all the recent fill ups, they were pretty shot. But it is still leaking so that in two days time and 40 miles it's back to 20psi. I filled it and soaped it, but could not find any bubbles.

For the cost, I'll probably order another pair. Unless someone has their spreadsheet up to date??

I also have 80/20 Shinko 705's, 150/70R17 Rear and 120/70R17 front.
Thanks for the spreadsheet for next time.

For what it's worth. My 2012 NC700x has been sporting the Conti-Motion stock size (120/60 ZR17 and 160/60 ZR17) for the past 8,500 miles I've owned her. Street Driving 100% in dry Northern California spirited commuting.

It has recently started experiencing a slow leak. 3,000 miles ago, I replaced the valves as with all the recent fill ups, they were pretty shot. But it is still leaking so that in two days time and 40 miles it's back to 20psi. I filled it and soaped it, but could not find any bubbles.

For the cost, I'll probably order another pair. Unless someone has their spreadsheet up to date??
Typical source of slow leaks early on with my 2012 was corrosion of the wheel rim where the bead seats. Seemed more common on the rear wheel with the original factory tire. Other forum members here reported this, too, long ago. I‘ve had this exact problem with aluminum car rims, too. You soap it and look all you want but no leak detected at the rim. Go ride or drive 100 miles and the pressure is down 5 or 10 PSI.

I did run one pair of Conti Motion tires but disliked them for reasons. However, I never had any leaks with them.

Unseat the bead and work one side at a time, or just dismount the whole tire. Look for corrosion and sand down the inside of the rim bead area with very fine emery cloth. Use proper tire mounting lube (I use No-Mar’s lube) and reinstall tire.

When I had this problem on a car, it was the inside bead leaking on three of the four wheels. It appeared that the tire tech guy was in a big hurry and didn’t put any mounting lube on the inside bead (I watched him). A lot of good it did to have the store mount the tires, because 2 years later I had to redo most of their work. That was the last time anyone but myself mounts my auto, trailer, or motorcycle tires.

I've been running the Shinko 705 since dumping the 1st edition tires it came with. Raised the front fender no problem and burned through another set of 705's. However when I changed out the next set, neglected to mount the front the correct direction and dropped the bike on my ankle in my driveway in the rain. Had a dealer flip it and have had no issues since. The tire being brand new was part of the issue with the drop and was my fault. Need to work on my flexibility climbing on the bike though.

Back