• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tires that fit the NC700

What type of tire do you have installed on your Honda NC

• 10% On Road / 90% Off Road

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • 40% On Road / 60% Off Road

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 60% On Road / 40% Off Road

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • 70% On Road / 30% Off Road

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • 80% On Road / 20% Off Road

Votes: 36 11.4%
  • 85% On Road / 15% Off Road

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • 90% On Road / 10% Off Road

Votes: 26 8.2%
  • 90% On Road / 10% Track

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • 95% On Road / 5% Off Road

Votes: 30 9.5%
  • 100% On Road

Votes: 189 59.6%

• Total voters
The 705 120/70R-17 front I just installed is marked TUBELESS.

It appears the Bike Bandit site is offering more choices of the 705 than other retailers.
Some retailers do show the front tire for the NC.
View attachment 23388

Sweet! Good to know! I would love to go back to the stock size in front.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mich Commander II: 160/70/17 rear, 130/80/17 front. Had to raise the front fender and not sure if I had to regear but went from 43 to 47 sprocket. Much nicer ride for get up and go but still has enough top end. Bike "feels" more sure footed with the bigger tires, the sidestand is a little short with the taller tires, the lean is sort of sketchy with weight in the top case. Were I use to use sidestand most of the time, I now always use center stand. Will look into lengthening the side stand.

Mich Commander II: 160/70/17 rear, 130/80/17 front. Had to raise the front fender and not sure if I had to regear but went from 43 to 47 sprocket. Much nicer ride for get up and go but still has enough top end. Bike "feels" more sure footed with the bigger tires, the sidestand is a little short with the taller tires, the lean is sort of sketchy with weight in the top case. Were I use to use sidestand most of the time, I now always use center stand. Will look into lengthening the side stand.

Might want to check out a side stand extender (duck foot).
I got one of these:
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/4624-dzell-side-stand-extension-plate.html

You can see a photo I put in that threat of how it lengthened the stand a bit (not much, but I don't know how much you need).

Here's what the Shinko 705 front looks like on the bike:

shinko705front.jpg

shinko705front2.jpg

I just got back from a week's ride in the Rocky Mts of Colorado - these tires performed flawlessly on pavement, gravel, hard pack dirt, rocky road - every road surface I encountered. I did drop the bike once trying to get through a snow drift on one back road - but can't blame the tires for that. I don't know if I can link to a facebook photo album here - but I'll try. My son and I had a great time.

Colorado trip Photos

Has anyone heard feedback about the TrailSmart tires yet? I read that one member was putting on a set.

My bike came with the Dunlop Trail Max. Great riding tires, but only last about 3,000 miles. I've since switched to Continental Trail attack 2. The biggest difference I noticed was the increased ease of dipping the bike into turns. The bike feels a lot more sure footed than the dunlops and is definitely confidence inspiring. I think I will stick with these long term unless they are discontinued. Also am using balancing beads instead of weights and that seems to help as well.

Last edited:
Looks like Conti will be offering the TKC 70 in "Q2 2016" in our bike's front tire size. Looks like an offering to compete with the Heidi K60's

Summary is very helpful.

I am running Heidenau 73's. They come in the spec size both front and rear. I really like them. They are very practical for both on and off road. There is no vibration on pavement and they are sticky and trustworthy on dirt. The local Honda parts guy recommended them and is running the same. He rides to work during the winter season on icy roads. I would put them in the (4.) 60% On Road / 40% Off Road Motard Tires grouping.

How about running a 120/90r17 front tire? That can be done I believe, I'll just have to raise the front fender right? It should roughly be the same circumference as the 130/80r17 just skinnier I believe. If I raise the front fender and do a fork extension I shouldn't have any clearance problems with the oversize tires and they should fit the rim, correct? I'm just trying to figure this out before I get into something that ends up not working out for me.

The 12-/90 is about 8mm taller than the 130/80. Yes it will fit the rim. I know of one person running it but he is running without the fender. If you raise the fender enough it should clear and yes you will also have to raise the forks enough to give the fender clearance from the motor. When I wear out my TKC80 in the stock size I'm going to try the 120/90. Also note that the fork extenders and taller tire will change the handling characteristics unless you also raise the rear.

Thank You Bamamate, I plan on raising the front and rear both while running the 120/90 front and 150/70 rear. I'm gonna use a jack up link on the rear and like I said fork extenders. I will change the front and rear shocks sometime later once I get it paid off. Racetech front shock kit and an Ohlins rear shock is the plan but I'm always up for suggestions.

I was wondering with the rear tire, if I went with the TKC 80 should I go with a 150/70 or 170/60 because they don't make the tire in a 160/60. I was hoping somebody would have some insight as to how each tire would work on the rear wheel as well as how well on road and off road the tires perform. I know they are knobby tires so I understand they won't be street tires by no means but kinda how well the wide tires take the curves. I've always heard narrower tires do curves better where wider tires put more rubber to the ground when it comes to accelerating in a straight line. Plus I want to make sure which one will safely-ish-er fit on the rear wheel.

I would go 150/70 for the simple fact that they are cheaper and many people here seem to be doing it without issue.

I have a Shinko 805 in 150/70 on the rear and am quite happy thought I only have the original worn out street tire to compare it to.

As a bonus the slightly taller tire has corrected the slight exaggeration in my speedometer.

Quick question, I've heard some of y'all run 130/80r17 front tires and I was wondering if any running that size were using the TKC80 tires. I want to go with that size in them because the 120/90 tire size I was initially looking at is a tubed tire and I still desire a taller tire with more sidewall than the stock 120/70 but either way they both are labeled as rear tires though. Can I run a rear tire as a front tire?

The (rear) Mitas E-07 and E-07 Dakar in 150/70-17 is classified by the manufacturer as a 50/50 tire. It lasts long and excels at either off- or on-road -- dry or wet pavement performance is good.

I'm looking at some 110/80-17 tires as slightly narrower and barely taller front tires that might be suitable for "adventure" as per load index and speed rating.

---.jpg

Quad Boss is a great tire sealant and balancer for tubeless (no difference between ATV and Dirt Bike except container size).

QuadBoss_Tire_Sealant.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Irc rx-02

i did my first ever self tire change today. I've always just paid a shop to do it before, but since the shop refused to mount H rated ties onto a bike that came in wearing Z rated tires and since I'm sick and tired of paying through the nose to put Z rated tires on what is at best an H rated bike, I decided that I would order all the necessary tools and the tires through Amazon and just do it myself.

I went with the RX-02 sports-touring tires from manufacturer IRC, as they are the same model tires I had mounted on my son's 250 a couple of years ago and I liked them better than anything I had tried on the NC700 so far. The fact that they cost about a half to a third what the Z rated tires cost was a major selling point as well, though the difference would have made me leery of trying them had I not already had experience with them.

The front tire is available in our standard 120/70 size. The closest thing for the rear is a 150/70.

The tires are bias-ply construction, not radial. Not making a case for one or the other, just want to make sure nobody buys them thinking they're radials.

Through an ordering error on my part, I actually got a 110/80 for the front instead. It mounts just fine and seems to be riding just fine, though. Again, a caveat is that this tire is intended for a maximum 3" width rim while the NC700X has a 3.5" wide rim.

The 150/70 raises the rear a nominal 9mm. The mistakenly ordered 110/80 raises the front a nominal 4mm. The effect is a slight negation of the "seat raise mod" and a noticeably increased lean on the kickstand. It seems like it was a little easier to put on the center stand, but maybe I just developed some muscles rasslin' with the tire irons.

Anyway, now that I have the tools, my next tire change will only run me about 15 thousand yen for tires, instead of 40 to 45 thousand plus another 8 thousand for mounting. I'll actually be able to change them more often...when it would be a benefit to safety and performance, instead of when I just absolutely can't put it off any longer.

IRC TIRE ROAD WINNER RX-02 | 井上ゴム工業株å¼ä¼šç¤¾ (Japanese page)

I'm curious if anyone tried Continental TKC80 front and Heidenau K60 rear. I have another 1000 miles or so left on original tires. I'm considering replacing them with ~ 50 - 50 % type tires (Cabin fever is catching up with me and I watched too many adventure bike off road videos).

Back