• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

tires options

LA_NC700X

Reaction score
Visit site
My NC700 came with the Metzeler Z8 tires, I have ridden close to 7000 miles on them. I think I probably have another 1-2k life left on them.

I wonder those of you that have Bridgestone BT023, how do you like your tires?

What other tires has everyone else use on the NC700?

I played around with a dozen tire options on my last few bikes, and hands down my favorite are the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3 tires. I couldn't get 5k+ miles out of a set of tires on my last bike (Bandit 1250), but routinely got 12k+ out of the PR2s. I mounted a set of the PR3 on it and liked them, but traded in the bike before I wore them out, so no word on longevity of the 3 vs. the 2.

I did everything from commuting, to weekend romps, to week long trips, to the Tail of the Dragon, and even a track day on them. Great tires -- that's what I'll be mounting as soon as I burn through this BT023.

The BT023 is ok, but it doesn't seem to stick quite as well as the Michelins. Wet/cold grip seems especially 'iffy' to me. Actually had the rear tire break loose and hydroplane on me in heavy rain on the highway...

trey

I have used 023s on several bikes including the NC and find them an excellent all round tyre. I have used them for all year round commuting with no problems the only time that they have sid were once on black ice where I was lucky to stay on and the other was a diesel spill that I couldn't avoid. in either of these conditions I think any tyre would have reacted the same. I have also found wear to be most acceptable. I must admit I currently use PR3s on the Crossrunner because they are a bit sportier whilst still giving good grip in the wet

I ran 023s on my ST and liked them very much but they did not give the mileage Michelin Pilot Road 2s did though the 023s felt better. After the Pilot Road 3 came out I tried them and they are #1 in my book. A better tire all around than the PR2s on that bike.

That said I like the Metzeler Z8s on the NCX. I got 8200 miles out of the rear tire and it had more yet. I just replaced the rear. The Z8s turn in very quick and tested very well in the rain. It fits the nature of the bike very well. I liked it's predecessor Z6 very much and ran a few sets on the ST.

I played around with a dozen tire options on my last few bikes, and hands down my favorite are the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3 tires. I couldn't get 5k+ miles out of a set of tires on my last bike (Bandit 1250), but routinely got 12k+ out of the PR2s. I mounted a set of the PR3 on it and liked them, but traded in the bike before I wore them out, so no word on longevity of the 3 vs. the 2.

I did everything from commuting, to weekend romps, to week long trips, to the Tail of the Dragon, and even a track day on them. Great tires -- that's what I'll be mounting as soon as I burn through this BT023.

The BT023 is ok, but it doesn't seem to stick quite as well as the Michelins. Wet/cold grip seems especially 'iffy' to me. Actually had the rear tire break loose and hydroplane on me in heavy rain on the highway...

trey

I think this may be my next set of tires also. Maybe the PR3 trail, still researching. Darn good reviews!
Michelin Pilot Road 3 Rear Tire Product Reviews

I have had the Metz's from new on this bike. I am now at 6500kms. I must admit I have not felt 100% safe on them in the wet. I am fortunate to have other motorcycles with other tyre makes, with which to make comparisons. It has never appealed to me either to have 42psi in a back tyre on a bike of this weight. Accordingly I run it with 36psi in the front tyre and 38 in the rear. I am still not happy. There have been several occasions when I felt either end was close to letting go at lower speeds on tight wet bends. I am not sure if this is attributable to the 17" wheels, the budget suspension, the frame geometry, or the tyres. I am inclined to blame the tyres. On another bike I have tried Metz Tourance EXP's and they white line badly from new. However the wet grip on those tyres is good. I have had similar experiences with Pirelli Scorpions. (same company ). I believe Pirelli/Metzeler have tried new technology that is not working. I have since tried Michelin Anakee3's on one of my bikes and I like them. My inclination is to try the Bridgestone alternative for my NC. If the Anakees prove to be as good as I think they are I will then try PR3's. To me, leaned over grip is far more important than high mileage on a motorcycle tyre. Just some thoughts

My NC came with the Bridgestones. I get a very loud road noise howl with them, so definitely will be looking for something different when it comes times to get new ones.

I replaced my stock Metzeler with Pilot road 3 a couple of months ago. I have used Road 2 and 3 on my last bike (09 Kawasaki Versys) and love them.

Metzeler Z tires that came with the bike was fine, I replaced them when the bike was about 7500 miles... Probably can get another 1000 miles out from them but decided to change them anyway... Rear was a little squared...

Love the Pilot Road 3 so far...

To be quite honest I have never noticed this with the 023s

The noise changes with the changes in the road surface. You may have better (different) road surfaces on your side of the pond than we do in this part of Oregon.

The noise changes with the changes in the road surface. You may have better (different) road surfaces on your side of the pond than we do in this part of Oregon.

My front Metzeler Z8 Interact front tire howls like a Banshee under braking!

I've never heard such a loud noise from a tire. Way louder than any of the very aggressive knobbies I've had over the years.

I'll get used to it I guess. (just in time to swap over to my TKC 80's and then start hearing all manner of new noises, lol)

My front Metzeler Z8 Interact front tire howls like a Banshee under braking!

I've never heard such a loud noise from a tire. Way louder than any of the very aggressive knobbies I've had over the years.

I'll get used to it I guess. (just in time to swap over to my TKC 80's and then start hearing all manner of new noises, lol)

R u sure? My Z8 tires was pretty quiet... I notice the PR3 is louder the minute I have them on riding away from tires store....

I have driven on Oregon roads. I assume the road crews just pick up whatever they find on the side of the road on their way to work, and toss that in the mix. :)

Back