Tire Wear

greenboy

Reaction score
Visit site
We should ride together some time.
Look, I'm not knocking your bikes or your riding skills. But there are things you can do with separate controls I find useful, and so do a lot of riders more accomplished than I, both on the pavement and track, and off. You will also note that there are a lot of incredible cars and drivers out there, and they've got their own tricks.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That's what I'm saying. In common situations where you want to use brakes independently, because of proportioning valves and delay valves, the brakes act less like linked brakes then one might think.

You can trail brake deep into turns using front or rear brake alone, back into a turn with the rear, or drag a little rear brake to settle the suspension or modulate thrust for slow precision maneuvers.

ST13Fred

Reaction score
Visit site
... 24,776 miles. 46,041

Read up on rear brake use: it's not just for stopping power.

I got 27K twice out of a set of Dunlop K505 tires on a PC800 in the late 90s'. I've never gotten even close to that kind of mileage since.
I now know they had to be old rubber so it's important to look at the DOT stamping. Rubber over 5 years old is very dangerous on bikes.

I understand trail braking into turns but ideally one sets up corner speed upon entry, then maintenance throttle (not braking OR accelerating) to the apex, gradually adding throttle going out of the turn.
100% of traction being devoted to lateral adhesion.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got 27K twice out of a set of Dunlop K505 tires on a PC800 in the late 90s'. I've never gotten even close to that kind of mileage since.
I now know they had to be old rubber so it's important to look at the DOT stamping. Rubber over 5 years old is very dangerous on bikes.

I understand trail braking into turns but ideally one sets up corner speed upon entry, then maintenance throttle (not braking OR accelerating) to the apex, gradually adding throttle going out of the turn.
100% of traction being devoted to lateral adhesion.
Greenboy did mention riding a bike like one drives a car..... carry on Fred.