• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tire Pressure

Remember that recommended pressure is for the tires that came on the bike. If you change to a different tire with different pressure ratings, say 48 psi on the sidewall you may want to increase the psi a little. For example, the label on my Venture states 36 psi for the rear Bridgestones that came on it. I changed to Avons and the side wall said 48 psi. Emailed Avon and they said to use 50 psi because they used my bike as a test mule and found that at 50 psi the tire ran cooler and lasted longer. If you have any question email the whoever makes the tire and ask them. Remember Ford and Bridgestone tires blowing out, Fords fault, running to low tire pressure, low pressure, more belt flexing, more heat build up, belt separation, tire blow out. Be sure to check you tire pressure once a week.

I wonder is it different for cars? When learning to take care of my cars I was always told to ignore the sidewall writing and use the pressure recommended on the vehicle label, regardless of what tire I was using. The sidewall writing gives a max psi for the tire but not the ideal psi for the vehicle/tire combo. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

The tire's sidewall shows the maximum permissible operating pressure, which is also necessary to use to achieve the maximum load-carrying capacity shown on the sidewall. The tire's sidewall pressure is NOT the recommended operating pressure, either on a car or a bike. Differing max pressures on sidewalls generally indicate nothing more than load-carrying capacity differences, and the internal structural differences necessary to achieve them.

For safety, do not put more air in a tire than what the sidewall says is maximum, even if your owner's manual (or swingarm sticker or door placard) says to. If your owner's manual calls for more pressure, then you've mounted a tire that lacks the load-carrying capacity of the OEM tire.

That Avon told someone to put more than the specified maximum tire pressure in a tire is odd, to say the least. I kinda suspect that tire (specific model and size) wasn't ideal for the motorcycle it was mounted on.

Last edited:
Pumping more air into the tire will help it run cooler, and last longer, that's true. But... it'll be slower to heat up and you'll sacrifice grip and ride quality.

If I'm going on a highway trip loaded up (where I know I'm not going to be carving up any corners) I'll pump up the tires a few PSI over the swingarm specs, close to the tire's recommended max to help minimize wear down the middle. Seems to help, I was one of the few that regularly got 12k+ miles out of tires on my Bandit.

trey

And if we're going to be really anal, lets not forget that the pressure specs are for a cold tire which is typically defined as a tire that has not been ridden on for at least four hours.

I've heard that idea tire pressures, for you, on your bike, with whatever tire you run, will result in a 10% increase in pressure from cold to hot.

So, set the pressure where you think it should be, go for a typical ride and the recheck pressures with the tires hot. Ideally, you will see a 10% increase between the two.

Obviously, if you then go out and load the bike up with gear, you need to re-establish your baseline.

To be really anal about it, you'll end up with a few starting points...
- Solo, commuting
- Solo sport riding
- Loaded solo touring
- 2-up
- etc

That's if you want to be over the top on it though.

Following Heavy's post .......... Face it, lawyers set the tire pressures now because of stupid people that overload vehicles while ignoring tires and generally all things mechanical. 36 & 42 psi are for maximum gross allowed vehicle weight not for best handling if you are not loaded to GAVW. If you weigh 150 lbs and ride solo 36 & 42 is too high - the tires will not heat up enough to drive up hot pressure 10%. On the other hand, 36/42 will not hurt anything either and the lawyers are happy. I generally run 3 or 4 psi under handbook recommendation as I am light and ride solo. On a trip with camping and touring cargo I boost psi to handbook recommendations.

The Venture likely came OEM with bias ply tires that ran the lower pressures mid 30s common to the era. It also weighs half a ton with a rider. Avon hopes the tire doesn't come apart when loaded.

I have a KTM which weighs similarly to the Honda. Its recommended tyre pressures are 34 PSI front and back. I believe 42 psi for a rear tyre solo, is way too much, and does not allow the tyre to heat up properly. I have experimented. I run the front at recommended 36psi and the rear at about 38/39 psi solo. That does it for me.

According to the rims of my tyres that came with my Nc700 it says to inflate front to 42psi and rear to 42psi also. Is this wrong? Or is it just the maximum pressure for max load guidelines? My handbook didn't specify either way.

I wonder is it different for cars? When learning to take care of my cars I was always told to ignore the sidewall writing and use the pressure recommended on the vehicle label, regardless of what tire I was using. The sidewall writing gives a max psi for the tire but not the ideal psi for the vehicle/tire combo. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

It depends on the tire load rating. I changed from Load Range B to Load Range E tires on my truck for better towing performance and they run at higher pressures. I still air them down when not running loaded because they ride better with less air. I use 50 psi in Metzeler Marathons on my BMW for expedition use vs. 38/42 locally with sport radials.

The time tested method for finding the right air pressure for a given vehicle/tire/load/speed combination is to look for a 2 psi pressure increase from cold to hot. Some say a 10% increase, but I think that results in a tire pressure that is too low for best mileage. It might be good advice for greatest performance. I find the 2 psi rule works fine.

The factory has dumbed it down to something that works safely for the vast majority of owners who don't wish to have an involved relationship with their machines. How sad is that?

I have a KTM which weighs similarly to the Honda. Its recommended tyre pressures are 34 PSI front and back. I believe 42 psi for a rear tyre solo, is way too much, and does not allow the tyre to heat up properly. I have experimented. I run the front at recommended 36psi and the rear at about 38/39 psi solo. That does it for me.

Ooops, missed on your first sentence. All's fine. :cool:

Anw I'll keep running mine at 42 PSI and see how it wears and keep you guys updated.

Back