• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Throttle cable adjustment

Atomant

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi just wondering if anyone have ever adjusted the throttle cable on this bike? I was going to lube the throttle cable but I find it a pain to access the bolts right where the throttle body is without removing alot of bodywork and panels.

Does anyone know of a shorter way of doing it?

I have tried accessing the service manual but it didn't say a lot about removing throttle cable. Or maybe I might have missed it.

seems like one thing leads to another and I don't wanna end up removal all body panels just to reach the throttle tube bolts and lube my cables. :D

Again do not lube the new cables. They have a teflon like liner and applying lube will mix with any dirt, etc and create a grinding compund and they will wear out faster than is not lubed.

Art

Why are you adjusting the cables from the throttle body ends? Normally it's a lot easier to use the adjusters by the throttle grip end. Lubricant could also be applied from the handlebar end and allowed to work its way down the length of the cable, but I don't think Honda recommends lubing the cables for the reasons SuperMek posted.

Bob

Why are you adjusting the cables from the throttle body ends? Normally it's a lot easier to use the adjusters by the throttle grip end. Lubricant could also be applied from the handlebar end and allowed to work its way down the length of the cable, but I don't think Honda recommends lubing the cables for the reasons SuperMek posted.

Bob

well the reason why I am adjusting the cables from the throttle body end is because adjusters at the throttle ran out of space for me to remove it from the throttle so I need more adjustability that's why I am trying to loosen throttle cable bolts from the throttle body but it's unaccessible due to main frame and shroud blocking the bolts.

As for not lubing the cables I don't see any difference from the cables that I used to lube on all my Japanese bikes. So someone pls tell me how can I loosen these cable bolts at the throttle body without removing too much panels or if really need to where should I start?

I hate to remove all panels on my NCX just to lube a set of cables. Please help.

Didn't want to start a new thread and this was as close to my issue that I could find with a forum search...
I am noticing a space next to my throttle grip that allows for left to right movement/looseness. Is that normal? I don't remember it being that way before, but maybe it was and i didn't notice. Any ideas on how to tighten it up? My VTX is not like that, but my wife's new Vulcan is. Not sure what to think.

Lubing your cables is an old-fashioned idea that went out of practice, at least for Japanese motorcycles, about 25 years ago.

In my mind, it's the same as taking your car to the service station for a lube job - it's no longer necessary and in fact, grease fittings on cars don't exist anymore.

bearings.

Didn't want to start a new thread and this was as close to my issue that I could find with a forum search...
I am noticing a space next to my throttle grip that allows for left to right movement/looseness. Is that normal? I don't remember it being that way before, but maybe it was and i didn't notice. Any ideas on how to tighten it up? My VTX is not like that, but my wife's new Vulcan is. Not sure what to think.

You could open up the right switch housing and make sure the throttle tube is not worn, or broken. There should be a little grease on the plastic tube where it rotates in the housing. But, there is no adjustment for end play. A little left-right wiggle is normal.

Thanks for the reply. Its a new bike, so wear can't be the issue. I can see about an 8th of an inch of the white plastic tube showing and I don't recall having seen that prior to last week. I was thinking something moved/came loose, but sounds like all is normal.

Thanks for the reply. Its a new bike, so wear can't be the issue. I can see about an 8th of an inch of the white plastic tube showing and I don't recall having seen that prior to last week. I was thinking something moved/came loose, but sounds like all is normal.
a picture would help

I don't recall seeing the white plastic when i brought the bike home; maybe it was this way and I just didn't notice or maybe something moved? Minor issue I know....

Attachments

• throttle.jpg
    throttle.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 21
Interesting. I took a look at mine. Inside the large diameter ring of the grip there is a ring built into the throttle body that connect these two. As long as these are aligned I don't think the grip shifted. Without taking it apart it seems like a thin black ring covers the white area you show. Appears to be decorative but what do I know :)

Thanks for taking a look. I am going to have to look up the part schematics. I dropped the bike on the left side last week and thats when I first noticed the white plastic showing. I might have broken or jammed something on the right side when it was going down.

The switch/throttle housing has a locator pin that positions it in place on the handlebar. I suggest removing the screws and splitting the housing to inspect it internally, if it is a concern. When reassembled, it can only go back to the exact place it was before disassembly. Also, from the angle of the above photo, I cannot tell if the grip is pushed tightly against the raised stop lip on the plastic throttle tube. More plastic throttle tube would obviously be exposed if the grip had shrunk or slid outward.

The throttle tube simply rides in a recess inside the housing. There is no other support, nothing else attached to the handlebar other than the switch/throttle housing, and there are no bearings. Grease in that internal area of the switch housing is all that allows free movement and minimizes wear.

Last edited:
The switch/throttle housing has a locator pin that positions it in place on the handlebar. I suggest removing the screws and splitting the housing to inspect it internally, if it is a concern. When reassembled, it can only go back to the exact place it was before disassembly. Also, from the angle of the above photo, I cannot tell if the grip is pushed tightly against the raised stop lip on the plastic throttle tube. More plastic throttle tube would obviously be exposed if the grip had shrunk or slid outward.

The throttle tube simply rides in a recess inside the housing. There is no other support, nothing else attached to the handlebar other than the switch/throttle housing, and there are no bearings. Grease in that internal area of the switch housing is all that allows free movement and minimizes wear.
Thank you for the reply. Everything seems tight and working properly, just looks different. I am going to stop worrying about it and ride :) Maybe order the Atlas Throttle Lock and fill the gap. I have cruise on the old VTX and I kind of miss it on the new bike.

Back