• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thoughts on buying a new 2017 NC700X in 2021

Now that I’m somewhat literate on the NC and it’s history ...

I do wish the one I’m buying had [a] belt or shaft drive TFT screen [c] a USB or charging port and [d] larger fuel tank.

I am committed though :- ) ... There will always be an “I wish” list
Yep. From 2012 to 2021, there are a lot of minor changes to the NC, but none excite me much. However, more fuel capacity and switching to shaft or belt drive would get me to upgrade.

I do wish the one I’m buying had [a] belt or shaft drive TFT screen [c] a USB or charging port and [d] larger fuel tank.

A shaft would be nice. A belt does nothing for me, had several bikes with belts and adjusting one was a pain, plus they lasted no longer than a chain and required extensive tear down to replace (no master link)

I've never seen a TFT screen so have no idea what all the hoopla is about on those.

As long as I can go 200 miles on a tank I'm a happy motorcyclist

I think most NC owners wish lists would include a bigger windshield, a better seat, taller handlebars and a center stand lol

A shaft would be nice. A belt does nothing for me, had several bikes with belts and adjusting one was a pain, plus they lasted no longer than a chain and required extensive tear down to replace (no master link)

I've never seen a TFT screen so have no idea what all the hoopla is about on those.

As long as I can go 200 miles on a tank I'm a happy motorcyclist

I think most NC owners wish lists would include a bigger windshield, a better seat, taller handlebars and a center stand lol
A bigger windshield, a better seat, taller handlebars, and a center stand are all easy modifications to make after the motorcycle purchase, so they don’t really concern me. Changing over to shaft drive is a mod well beyond the ability of most owners. That is one Honda needs to do.

A bigger windshield, a better seat, taller handlebars, and a center stand are all easy modifications to make after the motorcycle purchase, so they don’t really concern me. Changing over to shaft drive is a mod well beyond the ability of most owners. That is one Honda needs to do.

Those things are easily modified true, at great expense to the buyer... probably over a grand for that little list of 4 items if bought aftermarket. The manufacturer is already giving you 3 of those things on the NC..a windshield, a seat and handlebars. How much would it cost them and add to the price if they just made them better? And a centerstand should come on EVERY chain driven street motorcycle from the factory ... and does on most... just not the NC. Honda makes you buy that.

Believe it or not there seems to be a huge contingent of motorcyclists out there that seem to prefer a chain over a shaft because they are lighter weight, better energy transfer, the ability to alter gearing, the cost of replacement and the cost of repair should something go wrong. (btw I'm not one of them..I would prefer a shaft)

[C] can be added, [d] isn't so necessary since the bike gets such good gas mileage and you'll want to get off to stretch anyway if riding tank to tank. I'm not sure if (b) is necessary since the display is rarely hard to see and there's nothing interesting on it.

I will always curse the designers for [a] though.

Don't sweat it. FYI I bought a "new" '18 a coupe months ago and have dropped $2000 in goodies, (about $500 in non-Honda side cases, alone). I don't think the one you were looking at was overpriced if it were OTD. Seller's market. Freak'n crazy prices right now. However, i'm never afraid to by someone else's cream-puff. Low miles, all farkled out and well maintained is not much of a risk with this bike. You would likely save a couple grand on accident and get a bunch of goodies. Bike ain't gonna ride any different.

I’ve heard conflicting reports about whether or not the 2021 model comes stock with a USB port in the frunk.

Today, however, I saw a YouTube video from someone in Russia that showed a small rectangular panel on the left interior side of the frunk and inside it was a single USB-C port. Not 100% sure if that’s stock or an OEM/aftermarket accessory, but I have seen glimpses of that panel in other reviews so maybe it’s stock? It’s also in line with what Honda has been doing on other recent models (e.g. putting a USB-C port under the seat). No mention of it in the owner’s manual though.

28B0F541-1834-462D-8AC5-59054A270F76.jpeg

I’ve heard conflicting reports about whether or not the 2021 model comes stock with a USB port in the frunk.

Today, however, I saw a YouTube video from someone in Russia that showed a small rectangular panel on the left interior side of the frunk and inside it was a single USB-C port. Not 100% sure if that’s stock or an OEM/aftermarket accessory, but I have seen glimpses of that panel in other reviews so maybe it’s stock? It’s also in line with what Honda has been doing on other recent models (e.g. putting a USB-C port under the seat). No mention of it in the owner’s manual though.
The American Honda web site suggests USB ports available as accessories. Honda‘s past practices have been to have buyers pay for extras, and often make them buy more than one item to obtain the accessory. For example, to get the USB port, you may also need to buy a wiring harness and a relay.

——————

“ADVENTURE-READY ACCESSORIES​

Because the NC750X is so versatile, we offer a wide range of Honda accessories to help you custom tailor it for your adventures. Choose from top-box carriers, USB ports, tall windscreens, centerstands, cowl guards, saddlebags, heated grips and much, much more.”
——————

You can probably expect that the Honda USB port will only be powered when the bike is “on”. Honda has done that on every Honda motorcycle I have owned and also on my Honda truck. Nothing works without the vehicle being switched on. Since I like having the option of using some accessories with the vehicle off, in my case I would pass on the Honda USB port and install my own with it’s own power switch.

The American Honda web site suggests USB ports available as accessories. Honda‘s past practices have been to have buyers pay for extras, and often make them buy more than one item to obtain the accessory. For example, to get the USB port, you may also need to buy a wiring harness and a relay.

——————

Because the NC750X is so versatile, we offer a wide range of Honda accessories to help you custom tailor it for your adventures. Choose from top-box carriers, USB ports, tall windscreens, centerstands, cowl guards, saddlebags, heated grips and much, much more.”
——————

You can probably expect that the Honda USB port will only be powered when the bike is “on”. Honda has done that on every Honda motorcycle I have owned and also on my Honda truck. Nothing works without the vehicle being switched on. Since I like having the option of using some accessories with the vehicle off, in my case I would pass on the Honda USB port and install my own with it’s own power switch.
I find it interesting that they specifically call out “USB ports” as an accessory since, to my knowledge, the previous NC’s and other Honda bikes have only offered “accessory sockets.” Curious if they’re doing anything different, like having a stock accessory socket with an optional USB-C port accessory.

I find it interesting that they specifically call out “USB ports” as an accessory since, to my knowledge, the previous NC’s and other Honda bikes have only offered “accessory sockets.” Curious if they’re doing anything different, like having a stock accessory socket with an optional USB-C port accessory.
Sounds like they are. I have the "accessory socket" for my '17 and it's the 12v cigarette lighter port. I'm not aware of any heated gear that runs off USB-C. I imagine you'd have to get that annoyingly small USB-C—>USB adapter to use that style of kit

——————

——————

Sounds like they are. I have the "accessory socket" for my '17 and it's the 12v cigarette lighter port. I'm not aware of any heated gear that runs off USB-C. I imagine you'd have to get that annoyingly small USB-C—>USB adapter to use that style of kit

Looks like Honda is offering a 3Ah USB-C port as an OEM accessory for 2021, but no 12V accessory socket:

Hi .. I could use some advice from NC700 Members ...

REQUEST: I'd appreciate your thoughts on the bike offer below ... and any other advice on what is a reasonable offer for this bike.
Please let me now your thoughts on what is a reasonable offer for this bike -or- is the NC750 a better option?
If an extended warranty a good idea on a new 2017 bike in 2021?

I'm a long-time rider [20+ years] currently big Cruiser & VFR1200F ] ...

I have the opportunity to buy a New [no miles] 2017 NC700X with DCT, Honda Side Bags and Honda Top bag [see pic] plastic Grip Covers, Crash Bars,
The asking price is $8,299 yet its is negotiable
The Seller is the local big motorcycle dealer where I purchased my 2010 VFR years ago and did all my maintenance.

NOTE: I had my knee replaced from hockey injuries and need a lighter bike for commuting and the occasional trip! ... I don't need to go VFR speed any more : -)

Thank you very much
You may have made the purchase already, but the price would be/was the only issue. I bought a new 2017 in 2019, manual tran for $5700, from a dealer.

UPDATE: : -)

The Title " a new 2017 NC700X in 2021 " is now changed to " a new 2021 NC750X "

++ I was getting in my car to go buy it and the salesman texted me " Sorry we just sold it "
My fault - Too much thinking and not enough diving-in!!
I was trying to learn as much as possible and it worked against me.

++ So instead I put a refundable $200 down on the a new red 2021 NC750XDM DCT
More money, Less add-ons, yet what appears to be more refined base bike
I expect it around June 2021

I like these upgrades on the 2021
[1] New Display Screen
[2] Larger Storage Box
[3] Improved Seat Comfort (allegedly)
[4] Throttle by Wire with Standard / Sport / Rain torque controls
[6] Higher Red-Line by 600 RPM
[7] ABS linked to rear-to-front brakes

I know I'm just trying to justify me screwing up and not buying the loaded 2017 NC700X
I'll end up spending $1500 more + add-ons [ bigger screen ; broader foot pegs ; Top Bag ]

You live and learn : -)
Working sucks - Pays the bills yet kept me from doing what I should have done

Thanks for all the feedback
Congrats. There can be no regrets buying a new motorcycle...

Honda's previous bike in this space had a shaft drive so we know Honda knows how to do it even with bikes of smaller displacement. My wish list for the NC would be shaft drive, ABS, and cruise control. I guess if I had bought an NC with DCT I would have already gotten the ABS, but at the time I didn't think I would like the DCT. Now I wouldn't mind having a DCT. Oh and give us back our ground clearance and suspension travel we just lose with the 2021 update.

Honda's previous bike in this space had a shaft drive so we know Honda knows how to do it even with bikes of smaller displacement. My wish list for the NC would be shaft drive, ABS, and cruise control. I guess if I had bought an NC with DCT I would have already gotten the ABS, but at the time I didn't think I would like the DCT. Now I wouldn't mind having a DCT. Oh and give us back our ground clearance and suspension travel we just lose with the 2021 update.
It’s interesting because what you describe is what I was looking for. There was even a used one at the dealer where I bought my bike, not too long before I bought.

One could think about it this wa, though: With the reduced suspension travel (and clearance), the NCX is one step closer to being the NT700V that hardly any Americans bought…
Looking back, I’m still not sure I’d have bought the NTV, even at the same price as the NCX (which was less new than the NT used).
Apparently I’m hard to please.
(-:

Back