• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The search for waterproof gear, continues....

Lots of people swear by them, but my experience was all bad.

Had a set of Frogg Toggs a few years ago. Butt got wet leaking around seams. Jacket zipper failed. Short zipper on pants legs made it nearly impossible to put on over boots.

Gave them to Goodwill. Might have been wrong thing to do as there is probably some financially challenged person getting wet when it rains.

I have an olympia AST2 jacket and it works great. keeps me dry and warm in 30 degree weather through the 70's. I have field shear over pants that have just started leaking at the crotch seam but some seam sealer and water proof fabric tape will take care of that. about $150 for the pants and just over $200 for the jacket. well worth it. I also cary a cheep $30 suite for summer storms when I have my mesh and get caught but it doesnt' breath.

How would you guys compare the mid line Klim product to Aerostitch. I need jacket and pants for riding in the Monterey area. So lowest temps should be 40 and top 80ish.

How would you guys compare the mid line Klim product to Aerostitch. I need jacket and pants for riding in the Monterey area. So lowest temps should be 40 and top 80ish.

I use first gear, rode home yesterday and today from the Seattle bike show, hard rain and high winds, have put about 50.000 miles on this gear in the last 15 months, no leaks, very well made and priced well. And the paints and jacket zip together in the back, warmer a safer in a crash. Dale

I would say that they are about the same. I'm a huge fan of Aerostich because that's what I've owned for quite a few years and really like the people behind the company and their customer service.

Price wise they are about equal. Weather protection they are probably about the same if you get a two piece Aerostich suit. The Roadcrafter I have will allow water to pool in your crotch area if you don't dump it when riding. The two piece solves this problem because the jacket can cover the crotch area of the pants preventing pooling. So, IMO the two piece is slightly more waterproof than the one piece.

I know people that own Klim and they love their gear too so I don't think you could go wrong with either.

It is also my firm belief that if you are going to be riding quite a bit you just need to go ahead and bite the bullet and get good quality riding gear. I've been through three other jackets and two other pair of pants before I settled on Aerostich. I could've been money ahead if I'd started there first.

People (mostly naked Harley riders) ask me if my suit is difficult to put on and I reply "it's easier to put on than a skin graft". Others ask me if it is expensive to which I reply "it's cheaper than a skin graft". I may not survive, or have broken bones if I crash but I probably won't have to spend time in a burn unit.

I like having my rain protection built into my suit. If it starts raining, I just keep riding without having to stop on the side of the road and put on a non-breathable rain suit. It's really nice when you can see the sun shining ahead of you but you are riding through a downpour. You don't have to get wet while trying to make the determination of donning your rain gear or just riding through it.....really frustrating in the summer months on a long trip.
Mike
Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice guys. I think after pouring over all the options for hours today that I am going to go with a the Motoport Ultra Airmesh 2 jacket and pants. I really am not in love with the price and the seamlessly endless price increases for options. That said riding for me is compromise on safety and I don't want to compromise on gear. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to pay for this stuff.

I have been wearing Frog Toggs for eight years and they have never leaked. These were made for motorcycles not walking around.

Frog Toggs must have changed their stuff in the last 8 years. Like Fuzzy, mine leak. A lot. They're about a year old, but in any kind of real rain, my chest gets very wet, and the pants leak in the crotch big time. I use them for camping/walking around.. but not on the bike anymore. It's a strange start to your work day when you keep having to explain why it looks as though you've wet yourself. :eek:

But, some people love them. Wish I knew which type to get before I bought them.

trey

I recently upgraded to The North End rainproof HyperVent gear (a more modern and cheaper interpretation of GoreTex). I got the pants and jacket one-size larger so I can wear them over my gear. Fully waterproof as expected, with the added benefit of breathing a lot more than the Frogg Toggs material. So I feel a lot cooler. It also packs smaller than Frogg Toggs (as if that was possible). I got them at The North End outlet we have here in Orlando.

Rick

Specifics as I'm in Texas and almost as hot as FL and like the GoreTex gear but maybe an outer breathable rain gear would be a better option ... I went to NorthEnd and wow to much options.

Boz

Trick at North End - their lower end HYPERVENT is just like GoreTex but without the cost. My rain jacket is their entry level Hypervent jacket.

Specifics as I'm in Texas and almost as hot as FL and like the GoreTex gear but maybe an outer breathable rain gear would be a better option ... I went to NorthEnd and wow to much options.

Boz

The coolest, lightest, with most air flow, that is goretex, would be the klim missano. It uses goretex 2 I believe which is lighter and less stiff. Price new is around $1200. Best venting goretex would be revit posideon at about $1400. It may use the goretex 2 also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The coolest, lightest, with most air flow, that is goretex, would be the klim missano. It uses goretex 2 I believe which is lighter and less stiff. Price new is around $1200. Best venting goretex would be revit posideon at about $1400. It may use the goretex 2 also.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the information but we are definitely in different income brackets..., and I thought AeroStitch was expensive. I know you get what you pay for and you are probably correct. They would keep me dry and cool in TX and with heated liner warm and dry in Alaska and in those two extremes and in between when needed I'd never think about the price.

Boz

Thanks for the information but we are definitely in different income brackets..., and I thought AeroStitch was expensive. I know you get what you pay for and you are probably correct. They would keep me dry and cool in TX and with heated liner warm and dry in Alaska and in those two extremes and in between when needed I'd never think about the price.

Boz

We aren't in different income brackets.. which explains why I bought a year end special Aerostitch Roadcrafter light instead of either of the two I mentioned earlier. I paid $550 total including shipping for the stitch. I'm just hoping it will vent well enough to wear in the 90's. That $550 was extravagant for me... but I just happened to work a ton of OT right around Christmas so I was able to pull it off.

smileyteeth.jpg

I agonized for a while and finally pulled the trigger on a Klim Badlands Pro suit a few months ago. Since then I've ridden in all different weather conditions, including thick coastal fog, torrential rain and 70+ deg days. The suit keeps me dry, warm, cool, comfortable and has all kinds of armor and utility. Buy once, cry once!

Klim Traverse Men's Dirt Bike Motorcycle Jackets - Light Gray / Small : Amazon.com : Automotive

This KLIM jacket looks like it will fit the bill, at about 1/2 the price of other KLIM jackets.
It is advertised as "dirt bike" gear. Any reason this wouldn't function well for road use?
Too much lacking in the protective category when riding 90% pavement?
It has padding in the elbows & shoulders for some protection that can be removed.

It doesn't say that it is breathable, maybe that is why it costs so much less.

****EDIT: I just found 2brnut2b's post on this gear. Maybe I will PM him with some Q's***

Last edited:
You might try the new first gear tpg, it is made of cocona, is totally water proof, has Kevlar, 5 year warranty and crash protection. The jacket is 450.00 This new material vents better then gore tech. I would run the comp bow against the klim any day. Dale

You might try the new first gear tpg, it is made of cocona, is totally water proof, has Kevlar, 5 year warranty and crash protection. The jacket is 450.00 This new material vents better then gore tech. I would run the comp bow against the klim any day. Dale

I found some TPG gear, but I'm not sure if its what you're talking about. You mentioned "comp bow", but I don't know what that is (abbreviation for something maybe?). Is this what you mentioned? Amazon.com: Firstgear TPG Rainer Jacket , Gender: Mens/Unisex, Primary Color: Black, Size: Lg, Apparel Material: Textile, Distinct Name: Black/Silver, Size Modifier: Tall FTJ.1401.01.M010: Automotive

Thanks, from one Dale to another Dale.

I pulled the trigger on the jacket. If it ends up being good stuff, I will pick up the pants too.
The D3O reactive armor panels are cooool!

Last edited:
Back