• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The optimal GPS size?

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm shopping for new (new or used) GPS and I wonder about the size. It matters, right? :D
4" is small and easier to find the right spot. But, my 58-year-old eyes would definitely appreciate 6" GPS.
Anybody has any experience with mounting and using a 6" GPS?

Also, many GPS users/bikers around me use BaseCamp and all of them are happy, so I decided to try Garmin. And, as a frugal person, I'm thinking about couple years old, used Garmin. Opinions?

If you're mounting a GPS to an NC750, your options are many in terms of placement.
I settled on an eBay mounting plate that puts the RAM B ball right above the front of the dash.
With a RAM 3" double socket, it puts my Zumo 396 at a perfect distance for my viewing while riding.
I had tried a Zumo XT (5.5" screen) in the same location, and it was almost too close.
In addition, the XT was not my best option and it actually was defective, but I had covered that in another thread.
Unless you need corrective lenses and are not using them, I see no need to go to any GPS larger than a 4.3" like the 396 has.
And my eyes are 12 years older than yours LOL

And there are many free online route creating apps that are WAY easier to use than Basecamp.
If you're using a Mac computer, forget about easily importing .gpx or .mp3 files from a Mac into an XT.

My first concerns would be the functionality, water resistance, and user interface of GPS. Screen size would be further down the list of important criteria. Based on that, my favorite NC and CRF GPS that checks all my boxes actually has a 3.5 inch diagonal screen. I am wearing bifocal corrective lenses while I ride. Reading the 3.5” screen is not a problem.

I had a 7” GPS I used in my cars for awhile, but I retired it because it was just way too big even in a car or truck.

I always use my phone and google maps if needed. Don't use my phone for anything else while riding so I might as well use it for GPS.

I had a RAM mount X grip, but didn't like it. The rubber grabbing points were always right where the volume and screen on/off button is on my phone and was so annoying. Got a cheapo ebay squeeze mount with the rubber band type thing to further secure it and it works perfectly. I have one of these on both my street NC and my Cruiser. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7.

I've been very happy with Garmin's old Zumo 550 and the newer 396 LMS-T on my motorcycles. Both are small screen models. I ran the 550 on the NCs. I am 65 and have been in bifocals since I was about 40. I typically mount a GPS above the handlebars somewhere between the grips and below the existing instruments.

I use Garmin's older Mapsource mapping/route creation program to create routes in GPX then copy to Basecamp for transfer to the 396. The 550 communicates directly with Mapsource but not with Basecamp so I use both programs.

I settled on an eBay mounting plate that puts the RAM B ball right above the front of the dash.
Can you show the picture? Or link for the mounting plate?

Unless you need corrective lenses and are not using them, I see no need to go to any GPS larger than a 4.3" like the 396 has.
And my eyes are 12 years older than yours LOL
I wear progressive eyeglasses, but in general I like "bigger picture" ;)

And there are many free online route creating apps that are WAY easier to use than Basecamp.
If you're using a Mac computer, forget about easily importing .gpx or .mp3 files from a Mac into an XT.
I used Tyre when I was using TomTom, many years ago. I use Rever with my phone, and read about are several route apps (Furkot, GAIA, there was one from Germany, starts with K...). But I heard mostly about the Garmin Basecamp. I don't know much about it so I'm pretty open for suggestions. :)

I always use my phone and google maps if needed. Don't use my phone for anything else while riding so I might as well use it for GPS.
I used Google last several years 99%. And it's ok. But it also couple times screwed me up when lost the connection. I know, there is an option to download a map and use it off the grid, but I forget on it most of the time.
Although, my biggest complain is making a longer route, with it's limitation to up to 10 points. And, when drag to change the route (grab, hold and move) in Google Maps (it's not creating a point) - when I send the link to my phone those points are removed.

I had a RAM mount X grip, but didn't like it. The rubber grabbing points were always right where the volume and screen on/off button is on my phone and was so annoying. Got a cheapo ebay squeeze mount with the rubber band type thing to further secure it and it works perfectly. I have one of these on both my street NC and my Cruiser. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7.

100% the same problem and the same phone
:D

I've been very happy with Garmin's old Zumo 550 and the newer 396 LMS-T on my motorcycles. Both are small screen models. I ran the 550 on the NCs. I am 65 and have been in bifocals since I was about 40. I typically mount a GPS above the handlebars somewhere between the grips and below the existing instruments.

I use Garmin's older Mapsource mapping/route creation program to create routes in GPX then copy to Basecamp for transfer to the 396. The 550 communicates directly with Mapsource but not with Basecamp so I use both programs.
Hm.. Sounds complicated :(

I bought yesterday Garmin Drive 5" LM EX, used, for $30. Now learning how to use it, import gpx file etc.

6.5 years ago I bought a Garmin Nuvi52LM from best buy for about $100. 5" screen and I bought the Ram x-grip mount for the bike.
I mention it because it still works like new! Still original battery, still registered on the website so updated maps are free. Still use it in the car and on the bike.
Never got wet so I don't know about waterproofing, I cover it with plastic wrap.

I still use a flip phone so this was my best option.

Right after I ordered the Mounting bar I saw it said 2014-2015... Does it fit to 2013 NC700X?
I asked the seller but "can't wait" :D
Others can chime in, but my understanding is that the windshield hole pattern didn't change from 2012-2015. I think it changed a bit in 2016.

Others can chime in, but my understanding is that the windshield hole pattern didn't change from 2012-2015. I think it changed a bit in 2016.
I hope so.
From the seller: "... it's on the way now,could you please wait it to come and try to check if it fits your model? ..." :D
It should arrive within next couple days...

Back