• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The NC750X is a deer killer

Glad that you were not hurt. Deer are unpredictable and one of the greatest risk of all the animals that run into our paths.

I had a less dangerous encounter some years ago. I was on my CB750 Honda. It was dusk and I was doing about 55 mph down a county road when I noticed what at first glance looked like vandals had put a telephone pole across the road. I didn't get on the brakes in time but as I closed the gap, I realized that the "telephone pole" was a family of skunks walking nose to tail across the road. I tried to pick a gap between two of them and hoped for the best. I pulled up to a stop sign about a 1/2 mile later and then that fine aroma hit me. The force was strong in that one.

Even a car wash doesn't do it for that stuff, you have to wear it off.

On another note, we just bought a home in Florida and are currently selling our home in Ohio. I am 73 and we said that we wanted to make that move before it was too late. We are moving to be near our daughter and grandkids. We are doing some serious downsizing. We are going from a 2 acre property with lots of toys to a 1/4 acre lot. Tough trying to decide what to keep and what to let go. I just sold my NC. First time in 20 years that I am without a motorcycle.

This is a great site and I will lurk in the shadows for a while if you don't mind.

Selling your motorcycle is a sad thing, as is leaving your " home". Hope your move goes well Ron, and the move proves worthwhile. I know I wouldn't miss Ohio winters, but I used to live in Florida and not sure I could live there again. Maybe in northern Fla, but not in southern coastal Fla where I lived as a kid.

Every thing seemed in slow motion, at one point the deers head was close to mine and we could see into each others eye. Spooky. :oops:
I bet. Thank God you are okay.
About $4000 to fix, parts on order. We shall see how long to get parts.
Holy smokes. I am presuming it's an insurance claim. I'm very surprised they did not total it with that amount of damage.

Glad that you were not hurt. Deer are unpredictable and one of the greatest risk of all the animals that run into our paths.

I had a less dangerous encounter some years ago. I was on my CB750 Honda. It was dusk and I was doing about 55 mph down a county road when I noticed what at first glance looked like vandals had put a telephone pole across the road. I didn't get on the brakes in time but as I closed the gap, I realized that the "telephone pole" was a family of skunks walking nose to tail across the road. I tried to pick a gap between two of them and hoped for the best. I pulled up to a stop sign about a 1/2 mile later and then that fine aroma hit me. The force was strong in that one.

Even a car wash doesn't do it for that stuff, you have to wear it off.

On another note, we just bought a home in Florida and are currently selling our home in Ohio. I am 73 and we said that we wanted to make that move before it was too late. We are moving to be near our daughter and grandkids. We are doing some serious downsizing. We are going from a 2 acre property with lots of toys to a 1/4 acre lot. Tough trying to decide what to keep and what to let go. I just sold my NC. First time in 20 years that I am without a motorcycle.

This is a great site and I will lurk in the shadows for a while if you don't mind.
Where in Florida, Ron? I am down in Estero. Any plans to buy another bike?

On hitting deer - buddy and I riding. He hit a dear on his roadking with windshield. He had a quality cycle jacket with all the back shoulder and elbow armour. Gloves boots. We were going about 5o km/hr. His wife on back. Sudden stop he went forward with his wife’s mass as well.
broke all the ribs one side. Bike totalled
Took a year to recover about 80%.
so even wearing all the gear all the time, and having good equipment, you have no front protection. Gold wing with airbag may not be a bad idea. dunno if not having the windscreen woulda helped.

Hit a big doe this morning, deer dead, the NC750X needs some attention. Going about 55 mph, deer going fast out of the woods, through the ditch, and into the road. I have missed several lately, not this time. Brakes on and hit it about 40 mph, hit it in the body, front legs on the right, rear legs on the left. The deer took out my Givi windscreen and the fairing, rode on the handlebars with legs kicking, when I got down to 5 mph or so the deer fell in front of me and I rode over it. Never went down, deer dead, me not a scratch.
:)
That is so crazy. Glad you’re ok. I went down on my NC two weeks ago and got 18 stitches in my foot and broke my windshield. I’m sobered, but ok.

On hitting deer - buddy and I riding. He hit a dear on his roadking with windshield. He had a quality cycle jacket with all the back shoulder and elbow armour. Gloves boots. We were going about 5o km/hr. His wife on back. Sudden stop he went forward with his wife’s mass as well.
broke all the ribs one side. Bike totalled
Took a year to recover about 80%.
so even wearing all the gear all the time, and having good equipment, you have no front protection. Gold wing with airbag may not be a bad idea. dunno if not having the windscreen woulda helped.
The Goldwing airbag might have helped. One of the high tech computer inflatable airbag vests might have helped too. I doubt a tether connected airbag would have have deployed in time, but perhaps it would?

Reality is that the ATGATT stuff is mostly for a slide and not for an impact. Hit a deer. Hit a car. Car hits you. You hit a house. ATGATT is not enough in many situations but it is better than a T-shirt, shorts and flip flops. ATGATT will mitigate some of the damage in these situations but won't be enough if a 180 pound deer broadsides you or you broadside him. It will stop the road rash, perhaps lessen the head injury to just a concussion, it might prevent elbow or shoulder breaks, ditto knees and hips. But ATGATT can't stop crush/impact injuries at high speed.

FWIW, I was coming up to my driveway tonight. About 200' from my mailbox I saw a deer, it crossed in front of me at the clearing before my mailbox, maybe 150' away. Deer usually don't travel alone. Sure enough, 2nd deer popped out of the trees and crossed in front me, probably 40' away. By that time I was slowed down enough that it didn't matter, but when I saw the first one I began looking for more.

The Goldwing airbag might have helped. One of the high tech computer inflatable airbag vests might have helped too. I doubt a tether connected airbag would have have deployed in time, but perhaps it would?

Reality is that the ATGATT stuff is mostly for a slide and not for an impact. Hit a deer. Hit a car. Car hits you. You hit a house. ATGATT is not enough in many situations but it is better than a T-shirt, shorts and flip flops. ATGATT will mitigate some of the damage in these situations but won't be enough if a 180 pound deer broadsides you or you broadside him. It will stop the road rash, perhaps lessen the head injury to just a concussion, it might prevent elbow or shoulder breaks, ditto knees and hips. But ATGATT can't stop crush/impact injuries at high speed.
Well some of the gear would certainly help with torso injuries, at least rib fractures. My Areostitch suit offers a chest pad, and my dirt gear protects my ribs and spine. Can't say I've tested them extensively but the dirt armor helps when falling on multiple kinds of surfaces.

But no, nothing will really help you slamming into something at or above highway speed. Some of the airbag vest tech is getting close though

Well some of the gear would certainly help with torso injuries, at least rib fractures. My Areostitch suit offers a chest pad, and my dirt gear protects my ribs and spine. Can't say I've tested them extensively but the dirt armor helps when falling on multiple kinds of surfaces.

But no, nothing will really help you slamming into something at or above highway speed. Some of the airbag vest tech is getting close though
Agreed.

Lots of the jackets offer chest pads and off-road dirt gear offers more protection for the torso than road gear, but very few of us who are ATGATT guys wear off-road protection.

That said, I agree it is available, but it is not common, even in the crowd of riders who try to wear very protective gear.

I stand by my statement that ATGATT gear is mostly for the slide and not for the impact.

Hit a big doe this morning, deer dead, the NC750X needs some attention. Going about 55 mph, deer going fast out of the woods, through the ditch, and into the road. I have missed several lately, not this time. Brakes on and hit it about 40 mph, hit it in the body, front legs on the right, rear legs on the left. The deer took out my Givi windscreen and the fairing, rode on the handlebars with legs kicking, when I got down to 5 mph or so the deer fell in front of me and I rode over it. Never went down, deer dead, me not a scratch.
:)
Wound up on SR80 last weekend. Quite a few dead gators from being hit by vehicles. Not making light of your circumstances by any means, but replacing a gator for a deer might have made it a slightly more terrifying experience. Hope all is.well!

Wound up on SR80 last weekend. Quite a few dead gators from being hit by vehicles. Not making light of your circumstances by any means, but replacing a gator for a deer might have made it a slightly more terrifying experience. Hope all is.well!
I gotta get down there and ride. I have always been wanting to. Have visited most of the states, but Florida I have missed.

Update... Still missing some parts, hopefully all parts here by the 16th. NC back the next week I hope, so down 5 weeks if I am lucky, maybe more. Good thing I got two bikes, bought a new 2021 Harley Heritage Classic to get me through the NC laid up. :)Heritage.jpg

Back