• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The NC700X ride, What's it like?

I'm 6'1 with long legs and arms. I sit bolt upright on the bike if i don't make an effort to lean forward a bit. Stock seat and suspension bothered my back. Slope mod and a used cbr600 f4i shock made a big difference. Corbin seat made it a little easier for me to sit with good posture.

The Arkansas Dragon - Hwy 123 | Arkansas Motorcycle Roads and Rides | MotorcycleRoads.com

The stock seat was painful for me and I ended up with a Corbin seat that helped a lot. But what really got my ride right was the Rox 2" risers. Tank to tank riding is possible now, esp. if I can stand on the pegs periodically.

For me I rasied the front seat, easy with no drilling anything. SW Motech footpegs which lowed the feet a 1/2" also larger pegs. I'm 6'3". MRA windscreen with bruundt 2" adjusters and a air blocker in the middle above the headlight.. finally I put 15mm Tusk handlebar risers on. All these changes and a Airhawk R air sest on top made a world of difference in confort. :)

I had a 1991 ST1100 that I sold when I got the NC700X. The ergos are better for me on the NC700X than the ST. My ST1100 had a stock seat and helibars which I could never quite get configured so they were comfortable. There was obviously more wind protection on the ST, but otherwise, I prefer the ergos on the NC. The NC700's stock seat does get better with mileage, but you will likely want to replace it. If you want a wider width, a Russell Daylong should be perfect. There is a huge power difference between the two bikes, but I usually short-shifted my ST anyway, so the lower rev limiter didn't make any difference to me. The lighter weight of the NC made riding fun again, whereas the ST was great for trips but made commuting or running errands into a hassle.

I have two bulging discs in my lower back and two herniated discs in my neck. The NC is very easy on my back but tough on my neck. I think having your feet directly below your hips makes a nice seating position for someone with back problems. My other bike is a Harley 883 Sportster. It's just the opposite. Tough on my back (forward foot controls) but easy on the neck. I love the NC but have to do something to the seating position to ease the strain on my neck. I'm thinking of lowering the seat with the Lust Racing Lowering kit.

Thanks Maxwellian for your input. I'm 5 9 so maybe that will be to my advantage. You are having to reach furthur to reach the bars thinks to your heigth I suspect. I've sit on one and with my feet on the floor and it seemed like you go to the tank right off.

Skeleton, thanks for your input. We might need to bring this up to the Honda folks and maybe they would put a better designed seat on the thing.

Tom, thanks for your suggestion on the Russell Daylong seat. I was comfortable on my ST except for the fact I could not get my feet flat on the ground. It was a big heavy machine. Lot's of power!!

mgmirabelli you sound like you got what I got. I got spurs on my neck but I haven't had any pain in a long time with my neck. I quit doing anything that jared my body. In other words, no more fun. I rode a wide glide for twelve years and that probably didn't help my back any. Thanks for your unput.

Let's see. I'm 43 years old. 8 years ago a car hit me from behind while i was stopped on a motorcycle. 6 months of physical therapy(blah blah blah). Obviously my back is bad now. Modifications to ergonomics on bike=sargent seat and 25mm risers. I can ride comfortably for 2-3 hours easily on the bike with no back or hip pain. For longer trips, i put on my back brace just to be careful and i am fine. This bike is a pretty well done upright sitting position. Hope this information helps.

At 63 I also have back issues of varying degrees. As a result I am sensitive to suspension. The suspension on the NC is budget, so when new it was quite firm. As the bulk of my riding is on rough Irish back roads, this tended make me suffer somewhat in the early stages of ownership. However my understanding is that the roads where you are, are much better surfaced than back roads here, some of which are bordering on offroad at times . At 20,000kms+ the suspension on my NC has now mellowed somewhat and is much more comfortable on back roads. On well surfaced roads I could sit on it all day, or at least I could until recent TKR surgery, but that is not relevant to your query. I have had 800Km days on this motorcycle. I have other bikes to compare with so that is the basis of my assessment.

The stock is less than to be be desired. After about 30 minutes of riding, it hurt my butt. I found a Corbin for sale on this forum and installed it. The first moment you sit on the bike the different is immediately noticed.

I have a DCT model (NaNCy). The way this bike rides without the "Jerkiness" of swifting would also help someone with back issues.

Say "Hello" to NaNCy...

Attachments

• NaNCy_53114.jpg
    NaNCy_53114.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 231
Does anyone ever like the stock seat on any motorcycle? It seems like they should sell them without seats. :p

The previous owner of my bike put a custom seat on it and after test driving an NC with the stock seat, I decided the custom seat was better. Darn it all if I didn't swap to the stock seat after two months and like it better. That's right, I like the stock seat.

When you ride a motorcycle you are carrying all of the weight of the motorcycle through your hips, lover back, shoulders and neck.

Although the bike may seem to weigh very when you are riding it, when you get off, you'll damned well know about it, it's not the actual kerb weight, it's the kerb weight being moved through the certrefugal force as you tip the bike in and out of corners.

As you get older you need a lighter bike, more upright, with a lower centre of gravity if you suffer from dehydrated discs in your spine, or worse still prolapsed discs

I moved from an ST1300 Pan European onto a Transalp in 2012 for this reason, though I always felt the bike upright and comfortable it carried what weight it had high, and the V-Twin caused a lot of vibration above 5000 revs, which was most of the time an motorways and country roads above 60mph.

The NC700 and 750 cure the issues of intertia and weight for older / physically challenged riders. The long stroke parrell twin is low reving and smooth, the centre of gravity is low, and by cantering the cyclinger heads forward you will suffer less from the certrefugal forces when changing the lean angle left to right, both Pistons are moving in the same direction.

Michael Cysk developed a 4 piston engine with the cylinder heads configured like a boxter bit vertical, no certrefugal force at all the test riders said, I will wait for Honda to copy the Douglas twin from the 1930's, with the cyclinger heads opposed but in line with the wheels, bet that would be smooth.

As a motorcycle the NC is rather unique, and it took me a while test riding it to understand it.

The engine is more characteristic of a small car, smooth, laid back, not in a rush, but in a motorcycle frame that translates into quite astonishing performance, at low revs.

It doesn't make much noise, and short shifted gets down the road with remarkable speed, it is just so laid back you don't realise.

It corners well, in fact it wants to tip in and corner quickly, it's just so balanced and quiet, and at such low revs, you don't imagine it will.

What's it like?

It is astonishing, unique and ahead of it's time.

Many bikers will poo poo it, not a proper bike they will chorus, but those that ride it will most likely fall in love with it.

A modern classic in my opinion, and the prototype for the the future of motorcycle engineering

Does anyone ever like the stock seat on any motorcycle? It seems like they should sell them without seats. :p

Yes. I like the stock seat on the current Triumph Thunderbird Commander. Every bike mfg. should take a note from Triumph on that seat.

I like the stock seat on my Suzuki DR200 and I liked the seat on my Kawasaki Concours (ZG1000). I'm used to the seat on my NC700X. At first it was different, but I adjusted to it over time. Other bikes I owned required an after-market seat or modifications to make them bearable.

The stock is less than to be be desired. After about 30 minutes of riding, it hurt my butt. I found a Corbin for sale on this forum and installed it. The first moment you sit on the bike the different is immediately noticed.

I have a DCT model (NaNCy). The way this bike rides without the "Jerkiness" of swifting would also help someone with back issues.

Say "Hello" to NaNCy...
What Jerkiness???? This isn't a Ninja bike, get real.. I have a 6 speed manual and it is not in any way, shape or form a neck breaking accelerator. I have problems with vibrations through the grips if my ride is more than an hour. The seat causes me NO problems./Users/Jguarfn/Desktop/NC700xZ.jpg

Last edited:
Back