• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The Initial 600 mile inspection

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a new NC700X and have just over 200 miles. If I do the 600 mile inspection and required oil and filter change myself do I chance voiding my warranty if I have a problem down the line? I would use honda oil and filter and keep the receipts. It is more a question of convenience doing it myself and not the cost.

Being that you're in the USA, you are fine as long as you use products that fit the manufacturers specs. They don't need to be Honda parts, but equivalent. For example, you can buy any oil that mets the specs in the Honda owner's or service manual and it doesn't need to be Honda branded. And, you also do not need to have a Honda dealer perform the work.

Keeping receipts and records is wise.

In my opinion, keeping your bike away from the Honda shop will improve it's reliability.

Check out a law that protects you in this case: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

Last edited:
I intend to have the shop do the first one. I understand 670cc's position (I've had horrible dealers in the past), but to me it's worthwhile to have the first service/inspection on record in case of warranty problems. Even if I have to check over the dealer's work in their parking lot afterwards.

Last edited:
My 600 mile service was just a $90 dollar oil change at the dealer. I thought they checked the valve clearances as well, but thats not until the next service, and if I had known that I would not have wasted the money.

My 600 mile service costed me ~$185. They changed the oil and checked a list of things (I had to ask for that list, so I'd have it at home). One of those things troubled me. The tech came and asked me if I had the owner's manual, because he couldn't find the specs for adjusting the chain. The service desk employee found the value online and gave it to him. I was like, WTF! How could he NOT have access to that information in the shop?

My 600 mile service costed me ~$185. They changed the oil and checked a list of things (I had to ask for that list, so I'd have it at home). One of those things troubled me. The tech came and asked me if I had the owner's manual, because he couldn't find the specs for adjusting the chain. The service desk employee found the value online and gave it to him. I was like, WTF! How could he NOT have access to that information in the shop?

That information is right one of the labels that is fixed to the frame of the bike. Think I would be nervous about their service department.

Hahaha!!! You can't adjust the chain without seeing the giant sticker.

Seeing and comprehending must be different. I took my NC in for the chain recall to the dealer that you and I bought our bikes from. The tech had the chain so tight that it was singing. I stopped on the side of the Athens loop and set the tension properly.

That information is right one of the labels that is fixed to the frame of the bike. Think I would be nervous about their service department.

The tech looked like he was 18 yrs old and didn't sound like a rocket surgeon, if you know what I mean. He may have been the only one willing to work that early on a Saturday morning, who knows? I do know that I am not filled with confidence nor in awe of the dealer's service department. I was there when they opened the doors at 8:30 am and was out of there promptly at 1:15 pm...impressive, huh? </sarcasm>

It was cold, I have a carport, and I wasn't looking forward to dealing with the gorilla filter so I took mine for the first service. ~$45 changed oil, adjusted, cleaned, and lubed chain. Thought that was fair for a dealership.

They gave me a long list of what they checked. I guess I will assume they did it.

It was cold, I have a carport, and I wasn't looking forward to dealing with the gorilla filter so I took mine for the first service. ~$45 changed oil, adjusted, cleaned, and lubed chain. Thought that was fair for a dealership.

That's actually pretty good if they changed the filter too, even not, still not bad.

They gave me a long list of what they checked. I guess I will assume they did it.
I am getting ready to do my own first service/oil change. I checked with my local dealer if they had a 'list' of what would be inspected on the first 600 mile service. No list, they just change the oil and filters, per the service manual. Could you post your list for me to use as a checklist?

Ray

Back