• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

the dunlop tyre story

fishburger

Reaction score
Visit site
got a call from my dealer this afternoon,the main importer will refund me the money I had to pay for my new pilotroad 4.
the worn out tyre (2200km) will be sent to honda in japan for further investigation.(they asked for it)

Last edited:
Did I miss something? What went wrong with the PR4?

His original Dunlop wore out unnaturally quickly, so he bought a PR4- subsequently, some kind of discovery was made about the Dunlop being defective or something, and he is to be reimbursed his cost for the new PR4 tire.

That's how I follow it, anyway :)

Dunlops came stock on my last bike a 2006 HD V-Rod. On those forums everyone referred to them as Dun-craps! Those Dunlops were horrible tires, most people switched to Metzelers or Avon's. My NC will NEVER see a set of Dunlops.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Strange... I've had Dunlop D205 on my ST for years... was the best tire ever... dry or wet! They don't make it anymore, I think...

Guys, just to summarize what's happening over here in the UK, 20-plus owners are dissatisfied with their Trailmax OE tires, with mileages to change the rear typically less than 3000mls (lowest I think was around 1500mls). Most of these owners have made official complaints to their dealer and/or Honda and so far a few have had tyres replaced FOC or at discount. In general though (and in my case), Honda and their dealers not rushing to fix this problem.

My NCX is booked in at my dealers for 2 new tyres on Saturday morning, (I've done 3k miles).

On the strength of the last post, I rang my dealer today and informed him of others getting FOC tyres, he said that he'd contact Honda warranty dept for more info, as of yet, I'm still awaiting the outcome.

I'll be sure to update this thread with the result.

I just got a call from my dealer about the Dunlop Cheesemaxs.

They said that Honda aren't too willing to replace the tyres FOC, but my dealer has said that he'll fit the Avons that I've ordered for £100 instead of £225 as a good will gesture from him, not Honda.

Plus he's already agreed to fit a main stand with no labour charge if I had it done at the same time as the tyres, result!

Tomorrow's new tyres and main stand will now cost me £245 instead of £370, sweet.

And a BIG round of applause for my dealer, Kent Motorcycles. :)

As promised by my dealer, 2 new Avon Storms (my choice) and a Honda main stand fitted, all for £245!

ded2919e5b4759d6d3327d76ff5fd163_zps2e26fa3e.jpg

01ce1410b5d9e0b55f4b6649b10c4e58_zpsbf39a9fd.jpg

No more riding on Dunlop Cheesemaxs for me.

I was speaking to a chap today who has just ordered an NC750X from Kent Motorcycles, he says that they are gonna ditch the Cheesemaxs and put something different on prior to him taking delivery.

I think that speaks volumes.

Well see how long mine last. Has anyone in Canada had any luck getting reimbursed for prematurely worn Dunlop tires. If there was an error in the manufacture of the tires could safety be compromised? I normally put on 10-15,000 kilometers a year so these will be done for me in a couple of months. :mad:

I am having exactly the same issue here in SA with the Cheesemaxs. Tyre is nearly done at 2900km!! Spoke to the dealer over the weekend and they will get in contact with Honda SA today. Hopefully I will have more luck with getting new tyres fitted FOC... Will give an update soon.

Well see how long mine last. Has anyone in Canada had any luck getting reimbursed for prematurely worn Dunlop tires. If there was an error in the manufacture of the tires could safety be compromised? I normally put on 10-15,000 kilometers a year so these will be done for me in a couple of months. :mad:

It may not be an error in manufacturing; Dunlop may have been low bidder for momma Honda for a certain production time period and created a soft rubber compound tire (cheaper for Dunlop). Unfortunately, the softer the compound, the quicker they wear. Momma Honda probably does what most businesses do, put out a certain spec to their vendors for contracts and determine the lowest bidder (of course, my opinion). As I understand it, when the Commander IIs went from the crotch rockets to cruisers, they used the same compound and the heavy cruisers ate those tires up, now, the cruiser Commander IIs get high mileage after the manufacturer was informed of the fast rate of decay on the cruisers.

It may not be an error in manufacturing; Dunlop may have been low bidder for momma Honda for a certain production time period and created a soft rubber compound tire (cheaper for Dunlop). Unfortunately, the softer the compound, the quicker they wear. Momma Honda probably does what most businesses do, put out a certain spec to their vendors for contracts and determine the lowest bidder (of course, my opinion). As I understand it, when the Commander IIs went from the crotch rockets to cruisers, they used the same compound and the heavy cruisers ate those tires up, now, the cruiser Commander IIs get high mileage after the manufacturer was informed of the fast rate of decay on the cruisers.

That all makes perfect sense to me, after all, the NC is a budget bike.

Back