• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The biggest obstacle has been overcome...permission

Azimuth

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

After lurking here for the past few months, it's finally time to make my first post and introduce myself.

My name is Jason, and I'm a nearly 43 year old critical care nurse from western Montana. I'm 5'6" with approx. 30in inseam and weight 160-170 depending on the state of my diet. I have no motorcycling history, nor does anyone else in my immediate family. The idea of a motorcycle came to me a few months ago when I was looking at the number of miles being put on the family vehicles. My wife and I have put approx. 240,000 miles on 3 vehicles over the past 5 years, the worst being the 55K on the Honda Pilot in the past 29 months. To add to it, my oldest son got his drivers license this past summer so I expect there may be an increase in the near future.

If there was only a way to save some gas, and decrease the rate we are using up the cars we have.... I was talking to one of my physician friends who has been riding for 30+ years and asked, "If theoretically I were to look for a practical motorcycle to make my commute (approx. 90 miles per day mostly 2 lane highway) what should I start looking at?" He suggested 2 bikes, one being the CB500 (I can't remember the other) so I started there. After a bit more research I started looking at the NCX for a couple reasons. First, the highway speed limits in Montana are 75 and I have a long steepish hill (a small pass) to cross each day. I already own a Honda Fit, and when I lived in Arizona got 33-35 mpg with it only to have that fall to 28-29 here due to the higher speed and work load. It's just a little underpowered for the job and was afraid that might be the case with the CB500 also.

I still wasn't sure I could financially make it all make sense until I talked to my local Honda dealer and started crunching numbers related to fuel cost and payment. It didn't take long before I was convinced I could make it work if I could shift 8-10K miles per year off the Pilot onto the NCX. Next to convince the wife of 18 years. First discussion involved a lot of yelling (on her part). A week or two later she softened a bit and said, "do what you want". I knew that wasn't consent, but it wasn't NO! I thought, maybe I could have this all wrapped up by the end of September. I was spending a lot of time researching gear (helmets, jackets, etc.) when my 17 year old asked, "Is this dads mid-life crisis"? The s**t hit the fan again.

The past 3-4 weeks have been consistent gentle nudging and hinting by me so she knows I remain serious. Finally, yesterday I asked why she ignores me or changes the subject when I bring something about it up? After a bit of discussion, she gave me the go ahead. There still needs to be a little negotiation related to time frame as she would like to wait until spring before have a payment, and I know I need to get one of the remaining 2013's so I can stretch my dollars.

My current motorcycle goals are to make this bike my primary transportation, and take about 10K miles per year off the Pilot. This means at least a 3-season pushing toward 4 if there's no risk of ice. I want a 2013 with heated grips, Barkbusters, center stand, taller windshield, and soft luggage (needs to be a good grocery hauler). The rest of the budget goes to gear. I need protection from the rain and cold because I can't let that get in my way. I will also be ATGATT and it's hot here in Montana during the summer so good ventilation is a must.

I've probably rambled on long enough for a first post. I want to thank everyone here for the advise I have read for others and was able to learn from. and I love reading all the cycling adventures.

Thanks again,
Jason

Welcome Jason. I'm new to motorcycling as well but I often wonder the economical aspect of motorcycling. Especially after being down twice and ponying up for repairs and gear. I would suggest setting aside some of your budget for intermidate and advanced courses if you are going to be riding in difficult weather. My other suggestion is not to spend on accessories for the bike. I know luggage is a must for you but I've decided to skip all accessories for the NC as its purpose is to save me money and get me to where I need to be safely.

I have used a bike for commuting because that is all I had when younger. However, I have some things to consider: I found I really needed a truck (or car) for those serious downpours and cold days. Also, groceries can be picked up for one person but not 4. I guess if you made daily trips you could do that. Riding the NC is fuel efficient but I believe my maintenance is more on the bike than my truck. Nothing major but I do have to clean, lube and tighten my chain now and then. Change the sprockets and chain after about 25k to 30k miles. Tires only last about 13k miles if you ride like me and although not cheap, you can change them yourself, with the proper equipment, but I get 50k miles on my truck tires. Valves need to be checked about every 8k miles (I go longer) and it is a pretty easy job to do your self. If you keep a vehicle and get a bike, you now have additional insurance to pay. New gear for riding such as a good all weather jacket, boots, helmet, gloves and riding pants if you want them.
Just some things I'm sure you already know. I love motorcycles but they do have an associated cost of ownership that is different than a 4 wheel vehicle. Best of luck on your decision and I'm sure it will work out well for you either way.

Last edited:
Your wife loves you and is probably concerned for your safety. Step one is a MSF class. Step two is buy good protective gear from head to toe. On cost look for a good used buy. As was mentioned maintenance will be higher than a car. For example tires on my Honda truck cost me less than a penny a mile, but on my NC about a nickel per mile.

Azimuth,
I was almost in the same situation as you. I was 40 when I started to talk to my wife about a bike. I've never been on one, but have owned many Honda ATVs (and still do). I drive about 80-90 miles/day for work, and on a Toyota 4Runner, my gas budget is more than our food budget. The kicker was when my son came for a visit (he is in the Navy) and brought his bike. Even though we spent a fair time together while he was here, he did go out and ride his bike for hours and hours. I felt that if I could get a bike, then when he came down, then I could go ride with him.

The wife was NOT thrilled at all (we don't need the extra payment, I worry about you getting hit, etc etc), but I did all my research on the type of bike I wanted (NOT a cruiser, or crotch rocket, and DEFINITELY a Honda) as price was a HUGE factor to my wife. My local Honda dealer, down the road about 5 miles from me....I'm a repeat ATV customer...suggested I take the MSF course first before I did any purchasing to see if I would like it. Signed up, LOVED it, and that was it.

So, got the NCX as soon as my dealer got it; I got the FIRST one from them ;) and love riding it. My wife knows I am careful and take no chances (I still haven't ridden in the rain; just uncomfortable in anything but dry conditions). She doesn't mind any more, and encourages me on weekends to go riding after I got all my Honey-Do chores done (I'm too tired at that point...hehe).

Good luck. You'll enjoy the NC700X. I can't say anything about other bikes as this is the only one I ever rode, but in my opinion, this is a a GREAT beginner's bike that will grow as my skills grow. There is NO way I am gonna ask the boss for a bigger bike....haha

Oh, and my youngest daughter, in college, did actually ask her mom if I was having a mid-life crisis. Must be a female thing asking that question.

Rob

We have a balanced deal: I can have as many motor vehicles as she has pets :D.

Two bikes and three cars vs two cats and three dogs. This does not include her car and the bikes for both of our sons.

Works real good.

Cheers,

/T

We have a balanced deal: I can have as many motor vehicles as she has pets :D.

Ha ha! I am thinking of getting a second bike. Just last week that same idea came to me and I suggested we could own as many motor vehicles as we have pets. Not just to get another bike, but also to keep the pet population under control. I got no response to that proposal.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do Jason. My situation is similar to yours in some ways. I am a couple of years older than you and never had a motorcycle. I just bought a new vehicle this spring and I wasn't wanting to add a bunch of miles to it even though my daily commute is short. I just up and decided to get my permit which only took about three days worth of study. Then I took the BRC course from the MSF and got my endorsement. A few weeks later I bought a lighlty used 250cc dual sport and I have been loving it. It works great for what I want it to do. Now I am on this forum because I am thinking of getting something large enough to take on the highway and for longer rides. That will most likely be the NC700X. From what I can tell, it would indeed be a very economical bike to own and maintain. Though I am not an owner and don't speak from experience, I bet it might be a good choice for you as well if you decide to get one.

Like you and some others I heard all about this 'mid life crises' thing. I don't know where that comes from. I just wanted to keep my expensive new vehicle like new for as long as I can, and thought I would enjoy riding the bike. So why not? No crises here.

Welcome and great intro Azimuth. Hey if you're going to have a mid life crisis, the NCX is a relatively inexpensive and innocent one. Much cheaper than say a Corvette and less damaging than a 24 year old Hooters girl.:rolleyes: Sounds to me though that you're just trying to be conscientious about fuel costs and wear and tear on your other vehicles so good luck in your venture and glad to see you're thinking forward about the bike AND the gear. Don't be surprised if sometime down the road your wife does a full 180 and becomes interested in being a passenger or even a rider herself. That's what happened to me (the wife becoming the rider part, not the Corvette or Hooter girl part).

Welcome Azimuth!

I think it is really easy to justify a motorcycle as more efficient transportation, but it really isn't when you add in the cost of consumables like tires, chains, sprockets, fork oil, etc...
No material how economical the NC seems (and it really is quite good at that), I would wager that it isn't more economical than buying someones well-maintained Honda Civic.

Consider tires alone: I get anywhere between 5-9k miles on my rear tire, and 9-15k on the front. At 100-150 per tire, that adds up, especially if you are doing as many miles as you are.

Then there are things like convenience and bad weather.
And of course there is the constant itch to get farkles. Once you start, it's hard to stop! [emoji5]

A motorcycle should be more about enjoying the ride/commute more than anything. Like others have said, take the MSF and practice constantly the techniques that you learn there.

Either way, I hope you enjoy the NC, it's a ton of fun!

Are you going to get rid of a vehicle?
What is the average MPG of you current vehicle?
What is the average MPG of the NC700 that everyone is getting?
How many miles does the average NC700 set of tires get?
How much does it cost to get new tires on your current vehicle?
How long do the tires on your current vehicle get?
How much does insurance cost you in your state?
You will have to (should) buy safety equipment at an added expense.

I've looked at all of the questions for my current vehicles and I can tell you that just on MPG and tires, a motorcycle does not save you money unless you drive a vehicle that gets horrible gas mileage, tires need replacing way too often, and you replace your tires on the moto yourself (I do). I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just don't get the wrong idea that you will save a bunch of money riding a moto.

I've done the math on my bike...

100,000 miles.

That is the break even point.

That's including gear, insurance, training, gas, helmets, tires, and maintenance (with me doing the labor). It's competing against my car which gets 25-30 MPG with my normal commute.
It does not take into consideration deferred wear on the car, or the $1k in money me and my wife agreed to put aside for accessories (luggage sure makes it easier to get to put on more miles).

I plan to keep the NC for all 100,000 of those miles to hit that point (10-20 years)... though I don't really ever expect to break even (even the best laid budgets of mice and men, and all).

Granted, I'm driving a hatchback normally, not an SUV, my daily commute doesn't even break the double digits.

I've no doubt that this bike can save you money in the long run, but it's a very slim margin... if you were to present this budget as a business plan you'd struggle to get a loan unless you drive a gas hungry vehicle most of the time, and put on a fair amount of miles each day (and even then a Prius (or similar) might every well work out to be the more economical option.)

I'm not sure the savings are there. In addition to what others have already posted about added insurance and maintenance costs, you are living in western Montana, which is not conducive to year round riding. I suspect there will be many days in late fall, through winter, and early spring that you will not be able to commute on the bike. When you subtract those days out from the total picture it diminishes the savings even more. I'm not saying you should not get the NC, only that savings may not be the best rationale for purchasing it.

At current $3.00 gas prices my NC uses $0.11 less gas per mile than my 19mpg Honda pickup. I give about half of that back in higher maintenance costs than my truck. If gas were to go below $2.00 / gallon cost advantage would pretty much disappear.

Don't forget tire cost, my cage goes a LOT further on a set of rubbers than my motos do; advantage cage.

I look at it this way. A motorcycle is a recreational vehicle. You don't buy it to save money. You buy it to enjoy in. All this talk about which one is cheaper is irrelevant. You should have bought the bike because you live to ride. Costs don't matter. If it does matter you should not have bought it. Sorry to be harsh but that is the reality of it. A motorcycle purchase is normally made in addition to what you need for everyday unless your like me and only ride a bike.

I think it is well pointed out you will not save that much money. If you do tire changes yourself and learn some other maintenance you can reduce your cost. If you do ride get a heated jacket, I have heat going before the car would even be warmed up. Get a good suit R-3 :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear expensive yes, but in the long run it pays for itself. Good luck

Back