• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

The 2020 Manual NC's left hand control frustration

InfernoST

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Gang
I picked up my leftover 2020 back in June and am just loving this machine especially after making modifications to make the bike fit me betterer however there is one thing I still can't get used too and the is the left hand controls on this thing. I hate how the horn switch is higher than the turn signal switch, all of my other bikes through the years have all had the Horn switch on the bottom and the signals in the middle and I am sorely missing the FTP switch. Does anyone know if there are any options out there that can be had?

I have the same problem with my NC/w DCT. Sometime I go to blow the horn at an errant car driver and just downshift!

If you could find another switch model with the correct orientation of horn & turn signal switch, it's likely the harness wouldn't mate correctly with the NC's wiring.

I have the same problem with my NC/w DCT. Sometime I go to blow the horn at an errant car driver and just downshift!

If you could find another switch model with the correct orientation of horn & turn signal switch, it's likely the harness wouldn't mate correctly with the NC's wiring.
Ouch on the downshift but does slow you down a bit. It is frustrating to me, I'm sure I can cobble the wiring together from another hand control.

This is a common problem for folks used to the previous norm of left hand switches. I am used to it by now because the two bikes I most use are modern Hondas with the same switch. My problem arises when I changeback to the NX or the Strom. For the first hour or so I either cannot find the horn when I need it or I hit the horn when trying for the indicator switch.

I had the issue at first but like dduelin says after riding everyday for 5 months it is no longer an issue, I hit all the buttons correctly.

I did change switches on my CB to match the NC . It came that way originally in 2014 and I put a 13 switch on it which put t/s on top and horn on bottom to match my other bikes. Luckily I saved the switch and changed it back after getting the NC so they would both be the same.

My 2021 has a flash to pass upper switch left hand side of the switch. Press down to flash to pass with left thumb. It also controls the high beam and says pass right on it. It's not as convenient as the FTP trigger on the CB, but on the NC-DCT you use that finger and button location to upshift.

This is a common problem for folks used to the previous norm of left hand switches. I am used to it by now because the two bikes I most use are modern Hondas with the same switch. My problem arises when I changeback to the NX or the Strom. For the first hour or so I either cannot find the horn when I need it or I hit the horn when trying for the indicator switch.
Same with my NC and my Ninja. Honking after the first couple of turns.
Also it turns out when someone cuts you off, angrily cancelling your turn signals at them doesn't quite have the same effect...

Last edited:
Trust your brain to learn a new trick. Every time you ride the bike for the next three or four weeks use the turn signal every time you turn and beep the horn a few times every ride.

Doesn't work if you don't ride every day or every couple of days.
I commute with the bike so I've been riding it everyday since I got it and still can't get use to it.

I commute with the bike so I've been riding it everyday since I got it and still can't get use to it.
That’s very unusual. Our brains are capable of learning complex tasks with repetition and this is a rather simple one. Do you use the turn signal consistently - train yourself to do it without thinking. If the turn signal is only a random use thing it becomes more difficult.

Trust your brain to learn a new trick. Every time you ride the bike for the next three or four weeks use the turn signal every time you turn and beep the horn a few times every ride.

Doesn't work if you don't ride every day or every couple of days.
Agreed 100%. Train, train again, then practice what you trained yourself to accomplish. We are programmed to revert to our training in stressful situations.

Not intended to detract from the legitimate concerns of the OP.

Agreed 100%. Train, train again, then practice what you trained yourself to accomplish. We are programmed to revert to our training in stressful situations.

Not intended to detract from the legitimate concerns of the OP.
It's a bigger problem when you have two bikes, one the "normal" way, and one reversed.
Similar to how I often look for a clutch pedal when I drive my wife's car. At least it doesn't have the extra extra wide brake pedal like my parents' old van, I used to find the "clutch" in that thing every now and then...

It's a bigger problem when you have two bikes, one the "normal" way, and one reversed.
Similar to how I often look for a clutch pedal when I drive my wife's car. At least it doesn't have the extra extra wide brake pedal like my parents' old van, I used to find the "clutch" in that thing every now and then...
Then I have a bigger problem then that. Three motorbikes - all with different switch gear, a CVT scooter, a mountain bike. You adapt.

Like mzrider said, we do what we train to do. Use the turn signal every turn every day, every vehicle.

"....Use the turn signal every turn every day, every vehicle...Dave"

Where I live most people opt to buy the cheaper cars without turn signals because I rarely see them flash to indicate a turn. Or if they do have turn signals, they only turn them on 12-ft before the actual turn or in mid-turn! :mad:

"....Use the turn signal every turn every day, every vehicle...Dave"

Where I live most people opt to buy the cheaper cars without turn signals because I rarely see them flash to indicate a turn. Or if they do have turn signals, they only turn them on 12-ft before the actual turn or in mid-turn! :mad:
Around here most drivers only use their signal is when they are cutting you off and planning on squeezing a 20 foot long cage into a 15 foot gap.

Back