• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tennis Elbow - Golf Elbow from riding a motorcycle?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
3 years ago I was diagnosed with "tennis elbow" for pain on the outside of my forearm. Doctor said it was related to motorcycle riding.

This morning I was diagnosed with "golf elbow" for pain on the inside of my forearm.

Both injuries are treated similarly, wear a tennis elbow strap, rest my arm, use Voltarin 4 times a day to ease the pain until the injury heals. For golf elbow I was instructed to wear the strap with the pressure pad on the lower/inside of the forearm 1" from the elbow. For tennis elbow I was instructed to wear the strap with the pressure pad upper/outside of the forearm 1" from the elbow.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm wondering if it is due to the riding position of the NC---x bikes? Never had this problem before.

Nope. Recently rode my NC-X an average 300 miles per day for 21 consecutive days. I had no back, shoulder, arm, or wrist pain. Stock handlebars with 3.2 inch rise. I wonder if the risers make a difference for avoiding upper body pain issues.

Tennis elbow, so that is what it is called....Get it on all 3 of my bikes (cruiser, adventure, and dual sport) but only while I am riding. Once I am off the bike, the pain goes away, and only occurs while shifting (left hand clutch) or accelerating (throttle hand). I noticed it occurs more frequently depending on the angle of my elbows when shifting or twisting the throttle. If I keep my elbows down, it occurs less often. When I use my push mower, I get the pain occasionally also; if I change the angle (elbows down), it occurs less frequently...but my habit (natural style) on riding and mowing is elbows out at 90* angle to the road/ground....

Loosen you grip.
In the spring when it still cold/cool out I notice I grip the throttle a bit harder and depending on the angle of my arm, I can get a pain in my forearm.
But I adjust and loosen my grip and it goes away.

Loosen you grip.
In the spring when it still cold/cool out I notice I grip the throttle a bit harder and depending on the angle of my arm, I can get a pain in my forearm.
This is only in my right arm. I use an Atlas Throttle Lock on longer runs, so I'm pretty sure it is not related to grip. The pain is approximately 1" from the elbow.

Loosen you grip.
If I loosen my hands anymore, I would be riding no hands......

Had elbow pain for years but only in the left. Put it down to riding bikes with heavy clutches. Never had it in the right. Tried physio but the only thing that fixed it was buying a DCT bike. I now ride that and a sports bike with a light enough clutch but the elbow is still fine.

If you are using a computer mouse ... with your right hand then switch it to the left hand.
I know , feels weird , but ......

Your elbows should not be in a 'locked' position. Always have a slight 'downward' bend to both of them.

Yes, recently had wrist surgery to correct some pains, at 33. Attributed it to 6 months of 120 mile commuting (round trip).

Probably have around 150kmi of riding under my belt but that was the straw that broke the camel's... wrist.

Very interesting. I have some joint aches that I believe are significantly nerve-related, rather than structural. My hands, or parts of them, can start tingling like they’re falling asleep when I ride Wiley (the NCX) sometimes. It’s always a function of my elbows, NOT my wrists or hands. Often the armor in my jacket is causing the problem, but changing my elbow position corrects it.
All that seemingly-irrelevant nonsense in order to say: yeah, it could be related to your exact arm and hand position.

Back