• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Technology Battles

GregC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
went out for a couple hours today with the beautiful weather here (rain finally stopped). I have a Garmin XT, a Cardo PackTalk Black, and an iPhone 14. What i've figured out is that it seems all of these devices want to be the "headquarters" for everything, and that is what leads to confusion and frustration in trying to manage them all. Garmin wants to be the control point for the headset (Cardo) and phone/music (iPhone), but so does Cardo with the its app, and iPhone is trying to play nice with both but can't. It leads to a lot of less than stellar behavior given the price of these devices (like, with Garmin in control the music stops when GPS directions come on, which is good, but then takes too long to return and doesn't "pause" so the song keeps playing while not audible; with Cardo in control you lose some of the Garmin integration). Really wish these companies would at least try a little to better integrate.

Rant over.

went out for a couple hours today with the beautiful weather here (rain finally stopped). I have a Garmin XT, a Cardo PackTalk Black, and an iPhone 14. What i've figured out is that it seems all of these devices want to be the "headquarters" for everything, and that is what leads to confusion and frustration in trying to manage them all. Garmin wants to be the control point for the headset (Cardo) and phone/music (iPhone), but so does Cardo with the its app, and iPhone is trying to play nice with both but can't. It leads to a lot of less than stellar behavior given the price of these devices (like, with Garmin in control the music stops when GPS directions come on, which is good, but then takes too long to return and doesn't "pause" so the song keeps playing while not audible; with Cardo in control you lose some of the Garmin integration). Really wish these companies would at least try a little to better integrate.

Rant over.

Greg…this weekend I’ll try to find the post over on advrider that solved for this. I think the pairing sequence was the issue. I may be mistaken but I believe it was a similar, if not the same, issue.

I tried to have my Iphone6 give me directions thru my Cardo Freecom 4, and it will as long as I don't have it paired with another headset, but if I want to talk to my wife when she is following me on her scooter, then I don't get to hear the Google Maps directions from my Iphone. I've tried googling solutions to no avail. And even though it's paired to my phone and her intercom, I don't get phone calls thru my headset either.

I hate electronics lol.

Probably why I use paper maps/hand written directions so much.

This guy says he has solved that issue.

This thread solves for a similar issue but with different devices.

This thread talks about what can and cannot be done with a Garmin, Cardo, and a phone.

I value music and communication with others over turn by turn directions. I stopped using the GPS device as the hub or controller and just open the paired connection to my phone with the Sena when I start the bike. I occasionally miss a turn when following route directions because I have to look at the GPS for route directions but my audio and comms are trouble free.

Rant over.
I have the same setup and have tried all the different combinations and what works best for me is to pair both the Cardo and the iPhone to the XT. If the music stops for some reason on the iPhone I can restart it from the XT, and I hear all of the turn-by-turn instructions. All of the pairing combinations have their pros and cons so you have to decide what's best for you.

Although this wasn't part of the original thread discussion, it may be useful regarding the XT and routing. I found that for me the best routing app (by far) is MyRouteApp. I create the routes in MyRouteApp, export them as .gpx files, then import them into the XT. MyRouteApp also has a very good user forum where you can get help when needed.

I also import the .gpx files from MyRouteApp into Google's MyMap as layers (up to 10 layers per map) for a quick overview of my routes that I can share. Click here to see a map with a few of my favorite rides here in Western North Carolina shown in 4 separate layers. You can enable and disable the individual layers using the checkboxes on the left side of the screen.

I value music and communication with others over turn by turn directions. I stopped using the GPS device as the hub or controller and just open the paired connection to my phone with the Sena when I start the bike. I occasionally miss a turn when following route directions because I have to look at the GPS for route directions but my audio and comms are trouble free.
My priority is communication with others, then turn by turn directions if I'm traveling or trying to find someplace I've never been before. I don't listen to music when I'm riding (or driving), I find it distracting, but then I never listen to music off the bike either.

Back