• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Suggestions for new tires?

Techrat

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking for recommendations for new tires. I've been doing research but most of the information I find is out of date. Making a direct comparison is not easy.
Right now I'm riding a 2016 NC700X on stock Dunlop Trailmax D609. They totally suck on gravel. Almost dumped my bike twice, felt like I was on ice both times.
Looking for dual-sport tires with some grip. I ride 90% street, 10% gravel/dirt, so I don't need knobbies. I want something that will last long, ride smooth on streets, but won't have me fighting to keep my bike upright in an alley or on a driveway.
Any suggestions?

Techrat

I've already checked this thread. Many of the tires on it are now on clearance or no longer made. That's why I'm asking for advice on newer makes and models.

For value in what you are doing with the NC7 I would recommend the Shinko 705
Front Tire Size - Radial - Speed Rating: 120/70-17 - Radial - H
Rear Tire - 150/70-17

You will get great milage from the front tire. I know of one person who got 12000 miles on the front.
The rear tire is average at around 7500 miles.

Rear Tire - 150/70-17

You will get great milage from the front tire. I know of one person who got 12000 miles on the front.
The rear tire is average at around 7500 miles.

I second that. Only got 5700 on my rear and I am currently running tkc80 on front that probably will not make it to 6,000. Putting 705 on front soon. The 705 on the rear lasted the same length or even a little longer than the continental motion.

I second that. Only got 5700 on my rear and I am currently running tkc80 on front that probably will not make it to 6,000. Putting 705 on front soon. The 705 on the rear lasted the same length or even a little longer than the continental motion.

What did the 705's cost for a set?

Whatever your tire choice can be affected by engine oil - either dinosaur juice or synthetic? :)

Rear Tire - 150/70-17

Thanks for the suggestion "Old Can Ride". Revzilla currently has these on sale for less than $100 each. Won't break the bank!

If you like to hang it out more, Avon Trailriders. They clobber Shinko 705 for traction on dry or especially wet pavement and have a good feel with road feedback without harshness. They do pretty good off the pavement too, other than mud or sand which is the bane of anything not knobby. They cost more though... hopefully they last a long time like some have said.

To be honest, given the intended use of the tyres @ 90/10% road offroad, a good set of road tyres will do the job just as well on gravel surfaces as some of the so called dual purpose tyres on the market. I favoured PR4's on my NC as they suited the bike very well indeed. They had excellent wet and dry performance, and on the occasions when I ventured on to gravel surfaces they did just as well as I needed them to do.

To be honest, given the intended use of the tyres @ 90/10% road offroad, a good set of road tyres will do the job just as well on gravel surfaces as some of the so called dual purpose tyres on the market. I favoured PR4's on my NC as they suited the bike very well indeed. They had excellent wet and dry performance, and on the occasions when I ventured on to gravel surfaces they did just as well as I needed them to do.
A lot depends on inner construction as well as the obvious differences in tread patterns and depth. But deeper tread patterns that carry though do tend to flex differently, and that can have some bearing on longevity if there is a lot of off-road use.

I scraped up my PR4 go up hill in gravel. Had lots of noticeable long scrapes some 1/2 way around the tire due to wheel spin.
Work hard at keeping the rear tire hooked up. Higher gear, lower rpm, smooth throttle. Spinning the tire accomplishes nothing on low traction surfaces and leads to loss of control sooner rather than later.

Like Griff said above, I'm on pavement 99% of the time and prioritize street handling and traction above all else and make that tire work as best it can on gravel or dirt for the little time it's off pavement.

For me I choose Bridgestone T30s.

I also like the bridgeston T30 because of the use of different hardness of the rubber at diferent locations on the tire. They do handle nice on the road.

If you like to hang it out more, Avon Trailriders. They clobber Shinko 705 for traction on dry or especially wet pavement and have a good feel with road feedback without harshness. They do pretty good off the pavement too, other than mud or sand which is the bane of anything not knobby. They cost more though... hopefully they last a long time like some have said.

I just installed a mullet system. TKC80 up front and the Avon Trailrider in back. Runs great on highway, havent been offroad yet. Stock size with both tires, no need to raise fender.

Really want to put on Metzeler Tourance will need to go outside of stock size. Great ride so my go for it. Has anyone tried $$$$ Heidenau K60 Scouts? Here in the wet PNW, I'd like a 90/10. Or 80/20 that I can trust. The stock Dunlops really suck ***.

I like Conti Motions, but rear life is only about 5k miles for me (center wear, I'm not a peg dragger). Front is good for two rears. $150 a set delivered from American Moto Tire. Mounting runs me $50/tire, so a longer life tire might be worth it. Wish I had a mounting/changer as I am afraid to abuse the rim like I can with wire spoked dirt bike tires.

I have a set of "Full Bore" tires that seem to work really well on the road. Still new, so lifetime is tbd. Only "off road" experience I've had on them is in a gravel parking lot and on an unpaved (dry) road leading to a camp site, so can't comment on that. They have some dual-sport, mx, and touring tires too, but not the correct dimensions.

Back