• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Strap on panniers - a cheap alternative or a pain?

Harvey

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings fellow riders.

I don't do much long distance stuff, so panniers haven't been an issue for me yet, and buying a hard set is out of reach at this stage. But I do have the possibility of a three day trip at the start of next year and I'm looking at some strap on panniers.

I came across a post here about a DIY frame, which might be helpful http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/5014-more-rack-work-saddlebags-post74987.html#post74987

My question is whether needing to unstrap the bags to fill up is too much of a nuisance. I'd also be interested in hearing any pros and cons of this kind of setup.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Harvey

With my soft bags, I figured out how to strap it so I can keep the bags on while filling. The rear strap was just behind the rear seat, the front strap was under the middle of the rear seat which did get in the way little with moving the bar that hold up the seat while filling. I also have a PVC set something similar like the post you came across but I did not build the part of it that sits under the bag. This set up got me from Asheville, NC to Folsom, CA and back. The rain cover did not hold up after about 1,000 miles. I had everything in plastic ziplock bags just in case that happened. The rain cover is nice to just hide all the zippers and make it harder for somebody to get into it while park at motel overnight.

I had soft panniers for 1 2000 mile trip and it was a pain because I couldn't put them on without putting one of the straps over the pillion seat, so I had to remove that strap at every fuel stop. I got pretty good at it and it only took a few extra seconds, but it definitely wasn't fun

If it's a situation where multiday trips are really infrequent, I'd suggest you consider what you will carry and consider just getting a waterproof rear bag to strap to rear rack (if you have one) or rear seat.

For example, I use my OEM saddlebags to carry tools and first aid kit (right bag) and extra gear (rain, fleece, extra gloves, etc.) in the left bag. On trips I use a FirstGear Torrent 40L bag ties to the rear seat (I have a givi 30L top case to hold my helmet and couple small things).

So, if you're happy with your current set up and just need an easy solution for a trip, I'd consider something like the FirstGear bag on the seat - it will hold plenty for a 3-5 day trip. Easy on and off. I use some Rok Straps to easily roll it forward when I need to refuel.

I guess my long winded point is that most side bags aren't that great for packing for trips IMHO (unless you're using the Mule panniers [emoji3]) as compared to a bag like the Torrent or similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the nice thing about a big bag like that is that even if you decide to get side panniers later on, you can always use both the panniers AND the bag to take a ludicrous amount of stuff with you

When I first had the bike, I used a tail bag which worked quite well, but had limited capacity. Especially because my helmet is too large to fit in the trunk, I added hard bags which make life much easier. The top case is large enough to fit my helmet and armored jacket. One side case carries extra gear and the other is ready when needed. I find the bike much more useful overall with the addition of luggage. I can stop at the store or get takeout. I can bring an extra jacket if the weather requires options. When traveling, it's an absolute must. Details of what I have are below:

MotoCentric-Mototrek-Sport-Tail-Bag.jpg
MotoCentric Mototrek Sport Tail Bag (My older option)

givi-v56nnt.jpg
GIVI V56N Maxia 4 56 Liter Monokey Top Case

kappa-k33n-monokey-side-cases.jpg
Kappa K33n Monokey Side Cases

Greetings fellow riders.

I came across a post here about a DIY frame, which might be helpful http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/5014-more-rack-work-saddlebags-post74987.html#post74987

My question is whether needing to unstrap the bags to fill up is too much of a nuisance. I'd also be interested in hearing any pros and cons of this kind of setup.

Well ...no...it's not a big deal, and it becomes routine. Here's some thoughts that may help...

Soft bags should be attached, not only with the QR straps OVER the pillion seat, but also to the frame. This keeps them from moving forward/backward or UP off the frame.

When I stop for gas, I release the forward seat strap (you really don't need to release the rear one), fill up, then re-snug the ONE strap.
The bags are held in place by the frame QRs just long enough for gassing up.

It works well. I hope you'll post pictures of what you decide to go with.

[HERE] are the "throw over" bags that work well with the frame you mentioned. Adding the quick release straps was trivial. I'll post detailed pictures of what I did if you need. :)

Also, [HERE] is a short article on the gear you might use for putting on a top box.

27414d1447474949-my-favorite-saddlebags-picture-sale-newbags.jpg
27324d1446742493-my-favorite-saddlebags-picture-sale-throwbags.jpg
------- ------------ ----------------

Last edited:
It takes longer to take my gloves off than to free the strap on the Blaze saddlebags I use. It is more of a hassle to remove the tailbag which sits on the rear seat when I add that to the luggage.

I used soft luggage for years and have travelled many thousands of kilometers with soft luggage. It is a pain, yes but it is low cost and quite functional. Once you know that you enjoy touring on a bike, and you have the funds necessary to buy hard luggage you can get by quite well with the soft stuff. Don't deny yourself the pleasures of motorcycle travel just because you can't have the hard stuff.

I plan on going with softbag panniers, but also putting the motech side carrier racks on as well. Something like wolfman or mosko moto looks like they will attach to just the racks quite easily, and leave me with an unobstructed rear seat easily opened for gas fills.

Soft bags on mine (Cortech) with my own PVC racks. Got the bags at a garage sale for $30 and the rack cost about $20 and a couple hours fab time. I can gas up without unstrapping anything. Maybe someday if I win the lottery I will drop a grand on hard cases but these work just fine and look good.

If you use a giant loop bag and don't pack the middle portion tight, it should have enough play in it to allow you raise the rear seat.

Soft bags on mine (Cortech) with my own PVC racks. Got the bags at a garage sale for $30 and the rack cost about $20 and a couple hours fab time. I can gas up without unstrapping anything. Maybe someday if I win the lottery I will drop a grand on hard cases but these work just fine and look good.

Hi Smong. Are your racks the same as the ones referred to in my original post? If not, can you post a picture?

Cheers

Hi Smong. Are your racks the same as the ones referred to in my original post? If not, can you post a picture?

Cheers

Yes, I built those and they work great and stood up to a 15 mph high side on gravel. I used self tapping screws on mine, no glue. If I were to to it again there is a simpler design that I would use that incorporates 45 degree angles under the fender and a lot less tubing (search on "racks", should be easy to find with some reading) . The racks support no weight and are just there to space the bags out so no need for the shelf imo.

If you use a giant loop bag and don't pack the middle portion tight, it should have enough play in it to allow you raise the rear seat.

Overpriced, Nomad offers the same thing more much less. Access is not as good as saddlebags. For dirt bikes that style has some advantages though.

Well ...no...it's not a big deal, and it becomes routine. Here's some thoughts that may help...

Soft bags should be attached, not only with the QR straps OVER the pillion seat, but also to the frame. This keeps them from moving forward/backward or UP off the frame.

When I stop for gas, I release the forward seat strap (you really don't need to release the rear one), fill up, then re-snug the ONE strap.
The bags are held in place by the frame QRs just long enough for gassing up.

It works well. I hope you'll post pictures of what you decide to go with.

[HERE] are the "throw over" bags that work well with the frame you mentioned. Adding the quick release straps was trivial. I'll post detailed pictures of what I did if you need. :)

Also, [HERE] is a short article on the gear you might use for putting on a top box.

View attachment 30613
View attachment 30612
------- ------------ ----------------

Stratuner, I've scored some bags like those you have pictured here. Can I ask how you have attached them to the bike? Do you lay the thick leather strap over the rear seat, or is there something more? Any more photos would be good to see too.
Cheers.

Stratuner, I've scored some bags like those you have pictured here. Can I ask how you have attached them to the bike? Do you lay the thick leather strap over the rear seat, or is there something more? Any more photos would be good to see too.
Cheers.

I have attached two nylon straps, the kind they sell at Walmart. Those two bare all of the weight.
Yes, I'll do pictures tomorrow....bike is in the shop, so I'll have to think of something

Back