• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Still learning and lucky

Olythom

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
For the first time since I started riding again, I had a fright this morning.... Riding to work in the right hand lane of a 4 lane / 40mph road. As I came upon a slow-moving semi in my lane, I swung out to take the next lane over. As soon as I pulled into that empty lane, there was an 8 foot 4x4 fencepost laying across my lane. Couldn't veer right because of the truck. Couldn't veer left because of oncoming traffic. Old instincts kicked in and I rolled the throttle on and pulled up on the bars to 'hop' over the obstacle. Right.... Like little old me is going to lift the front end of this bike.... I guess I just couldn't override the old Trials instincts.

Anyway, Skookum just rolled over the post with a loud "thump, thump" and kept right on going. Bless her heart.

Anyway... I turned around and went back to the scene and ran into a lull in traffic to pull the darn thing out of the road (apparently no one else was intent on doing that - marks on the road and wood chips made it appear that it had been hit several times before I hit it).

Obviously... my biggest mistakes were getting too close to the truck before the lane change and not visually clearing the lane before pulling alongside the truck. Another lesson learned. It could have been worse. I was fortunate.
Be safe out there.
>T

Nice job just holding steady and not overreacting. I think I would have crapped myself if I suddenly saw a post in my path that I couldn't avoid. I assume the post was perpendicular to you or it might have been a different story. I always keep a healthy distance between me and cars ahead and not just for stopping distance. There are just too many potholes and surface irregularities that cars close ahead can hide until it's too late - I want plenty of time to adjust my line.

Good job, off road riding does pay off on the road. Good instincts, if you would have time to think, it may not had come out the same.

Had this same experience on a lengthy curve on the 405 Freeway in California. It had 5 lanes of traffic in each direction and I was in the middle lane during rush hour. As I was rounding the curve I came upon a railroad tie perpendicular across my lane. I panicked for a moment but was able to squeeze by straddling the lane line on the left side and the vehicles in the adjacent lanes. Very frightening moment.

I think some people process ways to respond to these situations better than others. You seem to do this quickly. I also think a person gets better at this with experience.

We have had the conversation before. You have to make a decision between what is too close and what is not. If your too far back then someone cuts in front of you and now your too close again. You back off from them and it happens again. Now you decided to close the gap a bit but you assume risk. The individual has to determine where they feel safe.

I had a similiar incedent that I posted here a couple years ago. A large box came off the back of a truck. Right in front of me. I swerved to miss the box and barely clipped it but the car behind me hit it straight on. Luckily, it was full of white styrofoam worms. I got a laugh out of it when I saw it happen but I imagine it caused a wreck behind me. I could not tell because white worms were flying everywhere and I was still moving at 70MPH.

Glad you are Ok. It just like the video someone posted a while back. Something about not knowing what is on the other side of a hill. You always have to be on your toes.

Back