• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sticky Shift Lever

I agree that customs are different here and there. One question comes to mind, though. In the UK, if you have a DCT model, would you need to press the neutral button every time you stop for a traffic light, then press the D or S button when it's safe to go? Just wondered how that would apply.

Hiya I have a DCT model which stays in gear at junctions. It is an auto so I ride it as such. If I had a manual version I would go to neutral everytime I have to stop at a junction/ traffic light. That's also the same with my car which is a manual, I always go into neutral.

Personally I do not make it a mandatory thing leaving my vehicle in neutral or in 1st gear at a stop position. It all depends on my mood and the traffic conditions. I never cruise to a stop on Neutral.

However I believe it is due to SAFETY issues when the official instruction is to leave it in 1st gear (manual or automatic transmission).

Some possible reasons:
It is quicker to roll off when the light turns green (no hesitation at all).

It is also safer to be engaged in gear, in case some other vehicle plows into the vehicle and this prevents the vehicle from rolling along (chain collision). The engine may cut off but the gears are locked.

On a slope, this is even more critical because in Neutral, the control of the vehicle is less.

I hope these points make sense.
:p

I personally don't hold with your precedures in Switzerland then, after all we have a number of accidents over here with autocars when people want to brake and end up pressing the accelerator by accident. This may seem silly, but it happens far too much.

Also the UK has one of the best safety records of any country in the world which is quite incredible when you think how over crowded this tiny country is.

Last edited:
Also the UK has one of the best safety records of any country in the world which is quite incredible when you think how over crowded this tiny country is.
maybe so wozza but its still doesn't stop these money grabber scramras does it.:mad:

I only have 1,000 miles on my nc700x and my foot gear shift lever has been getting more and more sticky over time (or not allowing me to down shift at all) at times when running around in-town speeds when downshifting. Up shifting seems fine. Sometimes I have to let out slightly on the clutch lever at times in order to be able down shift at all between 4th-1st gears. The one thing I noticed is that when I'm riding at steady faster speeds like 45mph + it's a perfectly clean downshift when coming to a stop and there's no problem. It's only when I'm doing in town riding for any length of time doing a lot of up/down shifting. Anyone else experiencing this? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

You're still in warranty dude...let a master mechanic at a deakership check it out!

Back