• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sticky Key

DanH

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I went to start my bike after work yesterday and my key wouldn't work. After a bit if wiggling and jiggling, I was able to get the key to turn and start the bike. I went home and tried my spare key in the ignition and it was a little easier to get seated so it would turn but not a smooth operation by any means. I thought it might be the cold damp weather but it was the same after overnighting in the garage this morning. Do I need to get my ignition replaced or is there a lubricant that I can try. I have all the usual candidates - silicon, WD40 and graphite.

"They all do that"

And here I thought that was purely a BMW reply to a problem, lol ;)

I have had to fiddle and fight with my ignition key since day one, and found a wee bit of graphite spray stuff really did help. It doesn't cure it from being a sticky wicket, but it helps a lot.

It's the only bike I've really ever had, that was such a pain to deal with the ignition key before. Must be some weird/cheap design or something :confused:

Do I need to get my ignition replaced

I just had my ignition replace (~$150) not including the multiple hundreds in labor. I'd avoid it as soon as I got my new ignition I realized it was NOT as smooth as I would have hoped. Brass breaks and bends. Its not a perfect solution. Containing the situation and care seem to be only relief, there is no cure.

I used a tiny squirt of Pyroil Silicon based lubricant. Better than new, instantly.

I never use any lube that will coat and hold dirt.
Dry only. Dri-slide.
Amazon.com : Bike Aid Dri-Slide 4oz. Lube with Needle Nozzle : Bike Oils : Sports & Outdoors

31gEcx2m+3L._AA160_.jpg

I have also found (we have three NCs in the garage) that the lock/switch is sensitive to how "deep" the key is cut. Just a tiny bit too long (like after some wear) and it does not turn. Or it feels like it won't start to turn. Hard to explain. It is not just stiff, it just does not want to turn. Like it has the wrong key.

lift up slightly and see if it turns more easily. Very, very slightly.

Anyway. Get another key cut "shallower" 1mm or so.

Unless of course it is just a lube problem.;)

Back