• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

starting question

JimbosToys

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2012 NC is a sweet ride that I like (reversed front Conti Motion aside and soon to be resolved) and learning to love. Slowly feeling my way thru it and making mods as they become apparent.
I have noticed that it does not start as quickly as when I first got it (at 17K miles, now has 20K). It used to start almost before I could let go of the starter, now takes a little grinding. I am using fresh, clean fuel as always.
Possibly related, it spits at idle more than before. I know because I have a DanMoto exhaust that allows me to hear a miss where the stock can did not. Fuel mileage does not seem to be effected.
Other than that - no obvious anomalies.
Before I start going at it, any comments? I will likely start with air filter (age unknown - was apparently clean 4 months ago) and check the plugs (even though only 1000 miles on them). Thanks.

valves could be tightening up at 20,000 miles. i would perform a valve lash check and adjustment. just my opinion from being a certified motorcycle technician. after a while it won't start if they continue to tighten.

Walawn - valve lash check - good idea. Now I gotta learn how to do that!

There's a lengthy post with pictures from other riders who want to help. Try [HERE].
If I ever try it, then I'll use it as a guide.

Valve adjustments are the one regular maint. item I go to a local mechanic for. It's too complicated and too "fine" an adjustment for me to do in the back yard.

I'm starting to feel self conscious about always blathering about this to begin with (Flat tire you say? Check your battery connections! Mirror fell off? Check your battery connections! Mother in Law nagging you? Check your battery connections! etc., lol :eek:) but...

I figure it's not a one stop shopping thing for all that ails a bike of course, but it can never hurt, and it seems to always crop up when you least expect it to. :D

There's a lengthy post with pictures from other riders who want to help. Try [HERE].
If I ever try it, then I'll use it as a guide.

Valve adjustments are the one regular maint. item I go to a local mechanic for. It's too complicated and too "fine" an adjustment for me to do in the back yard.

You are definitely capable of doing an adjustment such as this. Especially on the NC700. It is easy. First, buy an excellent quality set of feeler gauges. You want them to be accurate. Cheap Chinese ones are not. The post you linked is a good guide as is the service manual which is a must as well for this job. Remember, you just want a slight resistance. Too loose or too tight on the feeler gauge is no good. Valves use to mystify me too, but after 2 years in a motorcycle repair course to get my certification, I've learned that everything is doable as long as you break it down into the smallest steps possible.

Craftsman has a set of angled feeler gauges I own and like. I second the breaking it down step by step and trying it yourself. I've worked on cars but I'm no master mechanic and before by my NC700X I've never worked on a motorcycle. I commute and put around 30k miles a year so doing the work myself saves my allot of money. I say try it, if you run into a problem hop on the forum look around, don't find the answer quick and easy ask and you'll have plenty of help

Mine also behaved this way in the weeks(?) leading up to a completely failed battery.

The valve check is a very good idea, too.

I put some Red Line SI-2 injector cleaner through from time to time, as well.

Probably the battery. If it's that old, you should replace it anyway. Valves would really have to seriously be out of spec to cause starting problems. Find it hard to believe that would be the case unless you had gone 25K miles and never checked the valves and the bike was possibly out of spec from the factory.

Back