• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Start engine problem while in side stand

Markino

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
recently I've seen that if I park the bike in the side stand when I go to start the engine next time leaving the bike in the side stand it doesn't starts immediately... it starts hard.
If I ride it, so that the bike is in vertival position, before starting the engine no problems and the engine starts immediately.

May be I've got soem problem? Can you please check it out on your bikes?

I don't have a center stand, and I've not had any problems starting the bike.

Only guess I have is that you might want to check your fluid levels (oil in particular) to see if you are low and being shifted to the side is exacerbating the problem.

I can't think of any reason the bike would be harder to start on the side stand than when it's upright. The only thing I can think of is more of a timing issue. If you are turning on the ignition and immediately pressing the starter button on the side stand, but turning on the ignition, then bringing the bike upright before pressing the starter in the vertical position, maybe you're just giving the fuel system more time to come up to pressure when you start in the vertical position? Outside of that I got nothing.

Bob

No one has mentioned that it won't start at all on the side stand UNLESS it's in neutral, but "hard to start" sounds unrelated. The side stand circuit is all or nothing and wouldn't inhibit smooth starting.

I would have to go with some fluid level being at work since it starts more easily when level?

Probably wiring and the handlebar position is pinching something?

I cannot imagine any liquids will hinder starting etc.
Or did Honda have also a accelerometer installed somewhere?
:p

Probably wiring and the handlebar position is pinching something?

I cannot imagine any liquids will hinder starting etc.
Or did Honda have also a accelerometer installed somewhere?

There is a sensor to kill the engine when the bike tips over.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

When you first turn the key you can hear a buzz, as the fuel pump primes (as I understand it from the Honda techs). If you are trying to start before that you might have difficulties. But that said, it's pretty quick. You shouldnt have to wait any more than 5-10 seconds from when you turn the bike on, to when you start it.

"There is a sensor to kill the engine when the bike tips over."
You sure? For our NCX?
If yes, I am gonna test it.
When I dumped mine over, it did kill itself before I got to the kill switch. Dunno if that was due to it laying down or due to a sensor, but it wasn't over long. A second or two.

When I dumped mine over, it did kill itself before I got to the kill switch. Dunno if that was due to it laying down or due to a sensor, but it wasn't over long. A second or two.

Can someone read the manual or workshop manual to confirm this?
I didn't know (believe) our "cheap" NCX has this feature. But then it does have ABS and linked brakes.

Can someone read the manual or workshop manual to confirm this?
I didn't know (believe) our "cheap" NCX has this feature. But then it does have ABS and linked brakes.

Trust him (them?) (me?) lol

Happy, yes, the NCX has a tip over or "bank angle" sensor to shut the bike off if it falls over.

My 1982 CX500Turbo had it, and my 2007 CBR125R has it. I would be surprised if there was any EFI motorcycle sold that didn't have one, regardless of "cheap"

I personally have used the tip over sensor twice. Once at an intersection not long after I got the bike and again yesterday on a pile of rocks. You have to turn the key off and back on to get it to crank once the sensor has triggered.

I'm having the same issue with hard starts if I try to start it in neutral while it's on the side stand. If I sit on it and put it in gear, starts up no problem.

This sounds exactly like what happened to me today. I went to start my bike after work but couldn't get it in neutral. I tried for a few minutes and it refused to get there. I pulled in the clutch to start it and nothing happened. After trying this a few times I sat on the bike and flipped up the kick stand and it went right into neutral and it started right up. It sounds pretty similar to your problem.

Back