• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stalling issue

I feel for Bob S. and his 2021 experience but I do remind that the NC700/750 platform is in the 10th model year of production and has no record of stalling issues regardless of transmission option or generation of DCT. The 2021 brings ride by wire throttle control and possibly certain valve timing changes from 2012-2020 models. My own opinion that if there is a problem with the 2021 it will be found in RBW or fuel mapping changes related to RBW or valve timing, not the transmission. The 2021 has been available in the US for about 4 months and stalling is not widely reported though the number of 2021 owners self reporting ownership experiences is tiny.

Before taking positions one way or the other it's important to know what the consumer's rights are and how the California law applies to consumers, dealers, and manufacturers.

Whether to pin the stalling problem on the transmission type is difficult at the moment. Honda has apparently been lagging in supplying manual transmissions to dealers as the 2021 models are being distributed. However, the stalling seems to occur when leaving from a stop, and DCT has been mentioned in all stall examples that I know of. The DCT rider has little or no control over the clutch engagement as the bike moves away from a stop, where with the manual, the rider adds more variables like throttle opening vs clutch engagement point. Maybe the manual rider overcomes the stall tendency with technique, or we just don’t yet have enough manual examples in the field.

Bob
So sorry to hear that disaster.Picked up mine from the dealer .They reflashed the computer. Like u I had enough and drove to kymco dealership to pick up a aka 550 scooter
But my Honda seems not sick anymore
So I decided to give it a few days more.
Good luck with GS
Ron
I asked the shop about reflashing my computer back when my stalling began, they said it is illegal in California to do that. Someone told me to buy a Power Commander I think, and had hook it myself. No thanks, I don't want to lose my warranty. California is really strict now, the service departments cannot install aftermarket exhaust pipes, air cleaners, etc. They can if the part is C.A.R.B. approved.

I asked the shop about reflashing my computer back when my stalling began, they said it is illegal in California to do that. Someone told me to buy a Power Commander I think, and had hook it myself. No thanks, I don't want to lose my warranty. California is really strict now, the service departments cannot install aftermarket exhaust pipes, air cleaners, etc. They can if the part is C.A.R.B. approved.
So, reflashing the computer with CARB approved Honda OEM software is illegal in California? You're just supposed to throw away the computer and replace it?

Follow Bob steps.

So, reflashing the computer with CARB approved Honda OEM software is illegal in California? You're just supposed to throw away the computer and replace it?
Unfortunately I don't know what type of reflashing they did on mine. But Tom the Service Manager at Honda Metuchen NJ would know for sure.
I will call him on Tuesday to let him know bike is running well now .No new stalling issues after 230 miles today .
Hope this helps.

Reactions: IRA
It’s not illegal to reflash the ECM with Honda’s diagnostic computer. That’s what we are talking about. Sometimes a manufacturer, Honda included, revises the fuel mapping software with a newer version that is fully compliant with EPA and CARB.

Like I said, my local Honda dealership act like that they don't want to help me. I asked them if they could reflash my computer, the service guy told me that it is illegal in California. And that was that... This is the only Honda Dealership in San Jose. There is one 30 miles North in the City of Fremont, and one 40 miles South in the City of Gilroy. There was another Honda dealership in San Jose, but they changed from Honda's to Ducati's.

It sucks that the initial interface is with a retail and servicing dealer but document what you can about that and contact American Honda and open a complaint.

So I reset the DCT transmission via the “secret” code. This was done after 550 miles. So far it hasn’t happened again (100 more miles). Not worth saying “its fixed”, but “testing”.
Hey Shifty, I wish you good luck with your NC. I hope the reset fixed the problem! For me I traded in my NC on a 2018 BMW R1200GS. I am happy now!

Attachments

• IMG_7848.jpeg
    IMG_7848.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_7850.jpeg
    IMG_7850.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 28
Hey Shifty, I wish you good luck with your NC. I hope the reset fixed the problem! For me I traded in my NC on a 2018 BMW R1200GS. I am happy now!
Congratulations on the GS. Over the years I’ve often wondered if the problems with new bikes of any brand is more buyers remorse than any real problem. Not getting what we really want the first time motivates a lot of buyers.

Congratulations on the GS. Over the years I’ve often wondered if the problems with new bikes of any brand is more buyers remorse than any real problem. Not getting what we really want the first time motivates a lot of buyers.
I have owned all types and brand of motorcycles, and I never buy the same bike twice. However, I owned a 2016 R1200GS, and was sorry I sold it, only because my 5' 2" girlfriend did not like trying to get on the bike and hated sitting 4 feet in the air, but she did like the suspension. So, I liked that bike so much, I bought another one. If she don't like this one, she can stay home. I bought the NC for the automatic transmission, because of the arthritis in my fingers on my left hand. I would of kept it if not for the problems I had with it and lack of freeway merging acceleration, otherwise, it was a fun bike to ride around town and in the canyon curves. I had buyers remorse after the problems started and didn't get them resolved.

Last edited:
I have owned all types and brand of motorcycles, and I never buy the same bike twice. However, I owned a 2016 R1200GS, and was sorry I sold it, only because my 5' 2" girlfriend did not like trying to get on the bike and hated sitting 4 feet in the air, but she did like the suspension. So, I liked that bike so much, I bought another one. If she don't like this one, she can stay home. I bought the NC for the automatic transmission, because of the arthritis in my fingers on my left hand. I would of kept it if not for the problems I had with it and lack of power, otherwise, it was a fun bike to ride. I had buyers remorse after the problems started and didn't get them resolved.
The NC’s power output is a well publicized specification. It is also on full display during a test ride.

Good luck with the Beemer (and the girlfriend). Sorry to hear the NC didn’t work out for you.

The NC’s power output is a well publicized specification. It is also on full display during a test ride.

Good luck with the Beemer (and the girlfriend). Sorry to hear the NC didn’t work out for you.
Hi all
Well shiftyfink was right .
My bike is back at the dealership. Honda of USA involved . I stalled 3 times after a few days of believing problem solved. Real safety issue almost got rear ended at the entrance of a ramp.
Bob S sadly may have the only solution. Getting rid of the bike . I will give Honda a chance I believe I'm into lemon law already and may pursue that ave if no resolution.

on face book nc750x forum .
on the 2021 model a few of them are having problems with their bikes stalling.
have any of you guys had that problem??
from the F/B page..........

A-This is not just a 2021 DCT problem, it is ancient, there are vids on Youtube showing DCT stall back as early as 2010. Go look at them yourselves, here is a 2018 example on an Africa Twin... https://duckduckgo.com/... Shame on Honda for not sorting this.

B-Yes it's exactly the same issue .Doesn't inspire or fill me with confidence if you are looking for quick acceleration when moving into a situation whereby if you stall you could find yourself in some real serious trouble

C-I have a 2017 dct which never stalled, but since I’m driving the 2021 (1 week now) I had this situation regularly.

when I had my NC700X DCT(had 4 years) never had any problems whatso ever. never stalled on me.

My only commentary relates to this forum. I read almost everything that is posted. I don't recall DCT stalling to be an earlier model year issue. With the 2021 I have read about more issues than I recall reading about all other model years combined. The issue is putting the buyer into the painful dealer service experience. I think this issue is damaging the reputation and the previously reliable DCT for this model.

Unfortunately, Honda hasn't put a stop driving order on the '21 NC750 DCT's displaying stalling issues, which they really should.
The cost of giving current DCT owners with the stalling issue a loaner bike from their Honda dealership of choice until this safety issue is resolved would be a lot less than dealing with a mega lawsuit if a stall causes a collision and injury or death.
Sending the stalling bikes back on the road with a "can't duplicate" work order is not acceptable.
The service dept's at many dealerships know there is an issue, Honda corporate knows there's an issue, so Honda should do the safe thing.

Well, knock on wood, I will have 5,000 miles on my 2021 (purchased June 22) in a couple of days, and thankfully have not experienced this issue. For those that have, that is a real shame, because it is truly a nice motorcycle otherwise.

I agree to all above .Ducati had a problem with their multistrada v4 valves they immediately recalled the bike and gave the owners $3.000
In accessories.
Honda need to step up their game .Lets see what they will do for my bike on Tuesday.

Sorry to hear that the dealer network is not helping, they should. A lot must have changed(maybe not) with Honda if they are not. This is a SAFETY issue bottom line. What I do know first hand was in they 80s I was finishing my last Honda Pro class to become a registered tech, and my buddy who was a service rep. for American Honda was on a phone call with a customer of a New V4. After he got off the phone saying that he has the information and NEVER heard about this problem. I said how could you say that? He informed me that you cannot admit to a problem unless you have a fix, as he padded a stack of forms documenting that same problem.

Back