• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sprocket changes with the DCT?

omniphil

Reaction score
Visit site
I've done lightweight 520 chain and sprocket changes on other bikes with pretty good results. Usually going down 1 tooth in the front sprocket.
With the DCT on this bike and all its speed sensors and whatnot is this going to be a futile exercise?

The owners and service manual advises against changing sprocket and tire specification as it can cause problems with shifting or trouble codes. That said people have made minor gearing changes w/o issue.

The owners and service manual advises against changing sprocket and tire specification as it can cause problems with shifting or trouble codes. That said people have made minor gearing changes w/o issue.

Links to where people have done this and reported on it? I have read about nothing but problems on DCT sprocket changes. I would love to change sprockets on my track NC, even if only a minor change. I remember a recent post, think it was on the ctx/nc facebook group, of a guy that had recently changed his sprockets, got off on a trip, and made it a good ways away from home before his trans went haywire and was hanging in gear and not shifting out no matter what he tried. Don't recall if he said how drastic his sprocket gearing change was though.

Well, with manual NC you can go one tooth on the front sprocket in either direction which is roughly equivalent to three in the rear. I don't see any advantage in a change greater than that for manual and I question whether it's even worth messing with on DCT bikes. Not going to change the bike's superpowers all that much anyway ; }

Well, with manual NC you can go one tooth on the front sprocket in either direction which is roughly equivalent to three in the rear. I don't see any advantage in a change greater than that for manual and I question whether it's even worth messing with on DCT bikes. Not going to change the bike's superpowers all that much anyway ; }
One down in the front or 2 or 3 up in the rear would be great in the DCT, but most people aren't riding their bikes like i ride mine. I has mid range power but lacks grunt out of turns and doesn't have enough power to peak in 6th gear, it just quits pulling any faster, whereas a sprocket gearing reduction would make all of 6th gear usable and also provide a little better grunt exiting corners.

Yeah, same thing for highway top speed. You get limited by the wind and rolling resistance versus the available power. You can shift down into fifth for more maybe, but then you are looking at the rev limiter.

Links to where people have done this and reported on it? I have read about nothing but problems on DCT sprocket changes. I would love to change sprockets on my track NC, even if only a minor change. I remember a recent post, think it was on the ctx/nc facebook group, of a guy that had recently changed his sprockets, got off on a trip, and made it a good ways away from home before his trans went haywire and was hanging in gear and not shifting out no matter what he tried. Don't recall if he said how drastic his sprocket gearing change was though.
I don’t think the changes I referred to were more than 1 tooth of the countershaft sprocket but you would have to search for the thread(s) on your own to make certain. I advise against it but there is some tolerance in the system for differences in tire wear and nominal tire sizing between brands but who is to know when the range of tolerance is exceeded with tire wear?

I don’t think the changes I referred to were more than 1 tooth of the countershaft sprocket but you would have to search for the thread(s) on your own to make certain. I advise against it but there is some tolerance in the system for differences in tire wear and nominal tire sizing between brands but who is to know when the range of tolerance is exceeded with tire wear?

That's been my thinking as well. I figured there was enough tolerance to maybe get away with one tooth up on the rear (I think sprocket center sells a +1 rear sprocket) but that likely won't make enough difference to even fool with it.

Back