• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Information Sometimes less is more, especially with windscreens.

GLC

Reaction score
Visit site
I suspect one of the first things NC750x owners want to replace is the standard windscreen. One surprise I encountered riding it 60 miles home from the dealer with a new Schuberth C4 Pro helmet was the noise. I couldn't tell if it was the helmet or the screen or a mixture of both until a couple of hundred more miles were on the clock. All reviewers comment on the small size of the screen and the need for a taller one and Honda make one 3 inches taller for $160, though some feel this is still not tall enough. Today I took the standard screen off and went for a ride at 60-70mph. Wow, what a difference. Noise gone and nothing but cool breeze going through my helmet vents. Before buying a taller screen that may still not work for you, try riding without the screen at all. You may never look back and the bike still looks fine without it and the dash is well protected by the binnacle above it. You'll save a few bucks too.

The standard screen didn't do it for me either. For me, it was too tall for summer and too low for winter. It does "look" the best, on the bike proportion wise (I noticed this while my bike was parked next to a buddy of mine's 2019 NC750X while at a restaurant), which is why I assume Honda installed it at the factory and sells an accessory taller one. My taller Givi looked too tall proportionally for the bike, compared to his.

So, in the summer, I run a cut down stock screen. As you can see it barely covers the instruments. But the air flow s great and wind noise is minimal.

FlEaUFM.jpg

In the winter, I run a Givi screen touring screen to block the cold air (as well as hand guards).

0r9Qzhc.jpg

Today it was 70 and I was thinking they blocked too much wind.

For sizing comparison, the summer shield is on the left, the stock shield in the middle and the Givi touring screen on the right

sb2eIGJ.jpg

Thanks for the great pictures. The cut down screen looks fine. I'm curious as to how it is cut and finished. Obviously, it needs to be precise and rounded off, so how did you do this? It's not something I would tackle myself as I don't have the skills or tools. Somehow, I don't think my box cutter is going to cut it, pardon the pun.;)

I suspect one of the first things NC750x owners want to replace is the standard windscreen. One surprise I encountered riding it 60 miles home from the dealer with a new Schuberth C4 Pro helmet was the noise. I couldn't tell if it was the helmet or the screen or a mixture of both until a couple of hundred more miles were on the clock. All reviewers comment on the small size of the screen and the need for a taller one and Honda make one 3 inches taller for $160, though some feel this is still not tall enough. Today I took the standard screen off and went for a ride at 60-70mph. Wow, what a difference. Noise gone and nothing but cool breeze going through my helmet vents. Before buying a taller screen that may still not work for you, try riding without the screen at all. You may never look back and the bike still looks fine without it and the dash is well protected by the binnacle above it. You'll save a few bucks too.
I totally understand the noise reduction in going to no screen. I've tried it myself. But compared to going with a taller screen, how does no windscreen work out for riding in thunderstorms? In near freezing temperatures?

You get wet or you get cold lol. Everything is a compromise with pluses and minuses. Its why I use multiple shields on all my bikes. Luckily on the NC they are simple to swap.

Remember the average motorcyclist ride 2500-3000 miles per year according to KBB, mainly on sunny blue bird weekends between 60 and 90 degrees. If you are not going to ride in the cold, you are not going to ride in the rain, and you are not going to ride in the blistering heat, you're protection requirements are actually quite small. More personal preference and peer pressure than any real " need".

I totally understand the noise reduction in going to no screen. I've tried it myself. But compared to going with a taller screen, how does no windscreen work out for riding in thunderstorms? In near freezing temperatures?
When I was 18 and commuting to work in London (1973), 45 miles each way, 5 days a week I got used to getting cold and wet and did so for 12 years. In those days there were no electric gloves or thermal underwear and Gortex was yet to be invented. A wax cotton Barbour suit was what we had to rely on and aspire too, plus a dry pair of socks and a change of clothing. So yes, I get the need for a screen for everyday riding. Now, 49 years later, motorcycling is a hobby for me, and I treat myself to riding only when it's above 55f (13c) and not raining. Below that I would agree that a screen beats noise reduction every time, but in my old age I leave riding in poor conditions to the younger guys and hats off to them. They need never know what it's like to reach the office, take off their boots and pour the water out of them. The top box had to be waterproof as that was where the dry clothes and shoes were kept. Ahh such memories of youth.

250 miles to the lunch stop?

Dedicated motorcyclists require dedicated gear. I use multiple coats, multiple pants, multiple gloves,multiple boots and multiple screens depending on temps and seasons. All the same thing.

Like dduelin said the other day (to paraphrase) There is no bad riding weather, just bad riding gear.

I'd have to politely take issue with that. Speaking as someone who was nearly blown off the Chesapeake Bay bridge on a Honda VFR1200 (not a lightweight) reduced to 30mph and also having experienced white outs and minus 40f/c in Montana, I can most definitely attest that there is most assuredly such a thing as bad riding weather.

I'd have to politely take issue with that. Speaking as someone who was nearly blown off the Chesapeake Bay bridge on a Honda VFR1200 (not a lightweight) reduced to 30mph and also having experienced white outs and minus 40f/c in Montana, I can most definitely attest that there is most assuredly such a thing as bad riding weather.
Well, there are weather events that temporarily test the limits of our temperaments, gear and machines, that's for sure.

Last edited:
All three of us are over 65 and started riding over 50 years ago.

And the three of you still haven't learned not to go outside when it's raining. So much for the age wisdom thing.

Sarcastic humor for those who are new to my sense of humor! Firm believer in you-do-you. I'll fish and boat in the rain so I guess my logic is shot anyhow.

Back