• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So what did you do TO your NC700 today.

Should this thread be made a Sticky?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked my valves for the second time at 19,500 miles. All were dead on the middle of spec except the #2 cylinder intakes. They were a smidgen tight, but still within the range given. Since I was in there I set them right in the middle. Then I went and rode around running errands and changed the oil when I got home.

New tires, new chain (should be here today), valves checked, oil changed..... I'm ready to put some more miles on! :cool:

trey

My factory service manual arrived today. Purchased it from the well-known auction site. Less than $50 shipped. It came from a Honda Dealer somewhere in OK. They must have gotten the updated manuals for the 2014 model year and sold the older ones. Great reading and will be very helpful. I am an auto mechanic by trade and am very impressed with the detail.

Installed a factory Honda rear storage box over the weekend. Hardest part was cutting the plastics for the new brackets. The rubber trim strips included with the kit hide the less-than-perfect cuts. Looks and works great. I suspect the box was made by Givi. Now I have an extra key. Had hoped it would be a 'one key' option. Not so.

My factory service manual arrived today. Purchased it from the well-known auction site. Less than $50 shipped. It came from a Honda Dealer somewhere in OK. They must have gotten the updated manuals for the 2014 model year and sold the older ones. Great reading and will be very helpful. I am an auto mechanic by trade and am very impressed with the detail.

Good deal on the manual. My experience with Honda manuals are that if there were no significant changes between model years they simply include a couple stickers to put over the printed dates on the "newer" manual.

I saw that one up for auction. You got a great deal!

I had my PR4's Installed today. While I was at the dealer they sold there second NC. A RED one. I met the buyer. He came up to me right as I pulled in and asked how many miles I had on mine and what I thought. I mentioned the site and he has be browsing the threads. Hopefully he becomes a member. He bought the bike for his wife who has been riding a ST1300. Very nice fellow.

I posted the photos in the PR4 thread but will post them here too.

20140301_111557.jpg

20140301_111609.jpg

Mounted the Full Bore version of the Shinko 705 today. Went with them to see if there is a visible difference.

Went for a short ride. Going to take a bit to get use to the feel.

Mounted the Full Bore version of the Shinko 705 today. Went with them to see if there is a visible difference.

Went for a short ride. Going to take a bit to get use to the feel.

Those look good man. They should suit your riding style better. You like to take her off road a lot.

Finally installed my electrical upgrades, Honda accessory harness, 12v socket in frunk, shark power outlet on bars, led flood lights, led drls, Advmonster volt meter, and flasher for the add on brake lights. Also adjusted the preload for a two up ride next weekend. And gave her a bath.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

installed my silver colored side inserts on my factory side paniers. Looks pretty good!

I think it looks good either way but I prefer it with the side inserts too. Now you need to add the matching panels to the sides of the frunk.

Finally got around to installing my Nitron shock after all these months! lol. :rolleyes:

Learned a couple interesting things. I didn't have to remove my Givi engine guard bars to remove the side cowl bodywork. I haven't needed any plastic removal since I put the bars on, so I wasn't sure about when it came to start working on stuff. Now don't quote me on this if you can't get your plastics off with the Givi bars on your bike, (or any other brand for that matter...) but I was happy that mine came off with a slight flexing and some careful pulling.

Also, the manual tells you to remove the passenger grab rails, rear centre seat cowl, and the side seat bodywork! (in addition to both the large side panels, in order to remove the rear shock) Yuck! I have the SWMotech luggage rails and tail rack on mine as well, so I wasn't keen on removing all that stuff either...

Fortunately, I found that it is quite easy to remove the side panels without taking off all the rear bodywork. A tiny little bit of flexing, and the panels pivot out and down out, with no problem.

I have an HBP skiplate, so I needed to remove that as well, to pull out the shock.

I could have sworn the manual says to only undo the (upper) and lower shock nut and bolt for removal, but I found the shock wouldn't fit between the linkage box and the back of the swingarm, so I had to take the links off as well. With all the hydraulic hoses and extra bulk of the Nitron shock, there's no way it would have fit through without the link removal anyway, so it was needed.

The remote preload and compression controls for the shock just baaaaarely fit out between the lower rear frame rail and the bottom of the plastic shielding under the fuel tank, on the left side. (the right side space is taken up by the rear brake master cylinder)

Once the bodywork goes back on, there is a perfect triangle of space for the hydraulic hoses to emerge through, almost like it was designed that way. I was happy about that!

shock hose outlet.jpg

Haven't decided where or how exactly I want to attach the remotes to the frame rail or maybe the Trax pannier bracket, so that is still left to do.

Sorry I can't report on how the shock works so far, as I only put on about 60 km's, coming back home from the friend's garage I was lucky enough to have use of again. It felt plush and comfy on that ride, for what it's worth, lol.

Oh, and it was snowing like crazy for all my ride home, at 8 o'clock at night, so while I had all the bodywork off, I had also thrown in the battery attachment coax cable to power my new heated jacket. :D Heated jackets rule! I was about halfway home, thinking: "I'm pleasantly neutral/warm, so no complaints at highway speed in mega snow and below freezing conditions, but these heated jacket things don't seem to rock out the heat like I imagined they would."

...then I realized I hadn't even turned it on, haha! :eek: A quick stop, and I cranked the little button on the wireless remote control, and OMG! :eek: My arms, back, chest, and neck were enveloped in nuclear meltdown heat. I had to stop again and turn it down for fear of heatstroke, lol. :D:cool:

Didn't really take any worthy pictures, so none of this happened until then eh? D'oh!

***Edit: Oh, and I found even though they measured the same, the width of the upper OEM shock eye, and the Nitron shock eye, I couldn't fit the Nitron into the bike's upper mount! I guess it has to do with the shape of the Nitron's two aluminum bushings, versus the OEM's sleeved one piece bushing, but try as I might, it wouldn't go in.

It was easy enough to take a few thousand's off each of the aluminum bushings via fine file, emery paper and a flat surface, but it was required none the less. Fit like a glove going down from .0475 to .0470 (or whatever it was lol.)

Last edited:
I think it looks good either way but I prefer it with the side inserts too. Now you need to add the matching panels to the sides of the frunk.

Actually will wait before doing this. Been putting lots of money on it during the winter. Want to get some hand guards now. Been looking at those Aprilia Shiver ones.

As for the pannier cases and the trunk case, they are actually from a Honda Varadero which is exactly the same thing as for the NC700! Got them for really cheap from my local Honda dealer since I think they were disconitnued since they were under the Varadero part number..

I recently had the bark buster storm hand guards, sw motech center stand, sw motech rear rack put on the bike. I also added a spoiler to the honda tall screen to help with air flow. Wish I was as handy with mechanics as most of the people on this forum seem to be.

I recently had the bark buster storm hand guards, sw motech center stand, sw motech rear rack put on the bike. I also added a spoiler to the honda tall screen to help with air flow. Wish I was as handy with mechanics as most of the people on this forum seem to be.

There seems to be several guys from the Washington area on this forum. I'm sure one of them would be willing to link up sometime if you wanted to install something with someone's help. The jeep community I was part of where I previously lived would have mod parties where we met at someone's house and everyone would do mods to their jeep at the same time or focus on one particular jeep that had something major. I could see you guys in Washington doing something like that.

Did you use the MRA, bolt or clamp? I put the bolt on one and was happy with the noise and turbulence change. It was lower than I thought due to narrowness of the tall screen. Overall pleased.

Installed my trunk rails and my generic trunk on the bike Sunday. Unfortunately no good pics-garage/shed is terrible for pictures and ice storm Sunday kept me from pushing the bike outside (well actually, gravity would help me get it outside, but I wouldn't be able to get it back into the garage).
Here is the one bad photo I took in the garage/shed. Sorry for quality but I will take some good pics when winter goes away.

Installed my trunk rails and my generic trunk on the bike Sunday. Unfortunately no good pics-garage/shed is terrible for pictures and ice storm Sunday kept me from pushing the bike outside (well actually, gravity would help me get it outside, but I wouldn't be able to get it back into the garage).
Here is the one bad photo I took in the garage/shed. Sorry for quality but I will take some good pics when winter goes away.

Sure you didn't sneak it out of the garage. Somehow it got a Dragon sticker. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back