• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Short inseam: how do you mount your NC?

I appended your post to this thread, which already asked the same question. In particular, I find OCR's method in post #4 interesting. I normally have no problem with just throwing a leg over the bike any ol' time, but I have found this method useful when the bike is loaded with gear to the point there is just a small cockpit for me, and the bike might also be on sloping ground.

But, your suggested method of stepping on the left peg and throwing the right leg over works fine.

Last edited:
I have a 30" inseam so this bike posed a small problem in the beginning. I would always hit the rear seat when swinging my leg over. Additionally, I keep the panniers and top case on at all times so this narrowed my legs path to an even smaller area.

Over time you'll figure out your own technique but your leg (LOL) will eventually figure out how high it needs to go and clear the seat. I've not drug my foot across mine in quite a while and I do not use a "special method".

I'm 5'8" with 30" in-seam. And I'm 73. I just throw the right leg over and occasionally have to polish the tail section where the boot grabs it. I also mount it by standing on the left peg and throwing the right leg over. My riding buddy has a shorter in-seam and he peg mounts his bike all of the time. Just make sure the kickstand is on solid ground or you'll tip the bike if you use the peg to mount up.

I use center stand as much as possible and rock it off when getting going - my legs are long enough to catch if the bike starts to tip. With center stand I mount the bike similar to mounting a saddled horse but by stepping on whichever footpeg is most convenient at the moment - no issues. Getting on using the sidestand however I use the footpeg on the right side usually to reduce the stess on the stand. I make sure to lean my body over the bike enough that my body weight doesn't pull the bike or past vertical to the right side. The only time I came close to pulling it over and it falling down was when I practically "jumped"onto the right peg while trying to hurry! This all works for me so far! I'm getting rather old and stiff! I plan to try OCR's method though!

I'm 6'1 with a 32" inseam. I have always mounted up by stepping on the left peg, regardless of which bike I'm on. My KLR, I almost have to mount it this way because its so tall. The NC, I do it to spare the plastics. I have a buddy with a Concours and he never mounts up this way and his right side hard case is scuffed all to hell. It's just easier, period. Why contort yourself to get on the bike when there is absolutely no need to.

I'm 6'1 with a 32" inseam. I have always mounted up by stepping on the left peg, regardless of which bike I'm on. My KLR, I almost have to mount it this way because its so tall. The NC, I do it to spare the plastics. I have a buddy with a Concours and he never mounts up this way and his right side hard case is scuffed all to hell. It's just easier, period. Why contort yourself to get on the bike when there is absolutely no need to.

This is how I do it and for the same reason. In soft gravel, however, I have to adjust and do the "right leg step through" method -- mercifully that's only been necessary a couple time.

My DR350 seat was at least 38" high with the shock preload dialed up. Having only a 29"-ish inseam pretty much made it a standard operating procedure thing to do the left "stirrup" horse mount method. The saving grace for that bike was the bike was very light, and the seat very narrow, so rather than being several inches shy of being able to even tippy toe, I just slid to left or right and put one boot down flat.

The NCX seat only being about 34" +/- ? when I've upped all the preload, is not bad at all really. It's only when it's loaded and with panniers on as well, that it gets more painful and awkward for my old back/hips/knees to flex.

I'm 5'5" and my bike is lowered but it's still a challenge. I have a top box but not side cases. I use the peg method and get my knee over first with my leg bent like a jackknife. Then it's just a matter of sliding the rest of my leg over the rear seat and I don't extend until my foot clears the box. I only use the center stand when at home. The gymnastics required for me to use it would be too embarrassing to do in public.

I use the peg method like getting on a horse, although it did fail me once when my boot got caught in rear cargo net and I basically got body slammed and cracked a rib when the side stand sunk into some sand. Long 700 mile ride home from mexico (and this was on a WR250). I make sure to counterbalance as I get on to keep weight centered on bike.

I don't think anyone mentioned the alternate method I use. Stand facing bike. grab left handle with left hand, lift right leg/foot up onto or over seat (grab pant leg or boot to assist with lift), hop towards bike and sit down! I'm old and my hamstrings are like gristle. Works for me and you dont't have to get leg up and over luggage.

Wait till you try getting on the WR with a fairly deep/tall Pelican case on the rear rack, with a cargo net attached to the top of it -- on a steep single-track pointing downwards! ; }

I have a 30 inch inseam and am 73 years old. I was concerned about the seat height when I bought the new NC this spring, my first new bike, but found I had no trouble mounting the bike when it was bare. I started kicking my foot on top of a 40" high bench as part of my exercise routine three years ago to help with mounting. When the bike is loaded with bags, a top box and something strapped to the passenger seat, I use the left peg to step on before swinging my foot over. I attached a larger base to the kickstand to help with security on soft surfaces.

Back