• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Short inseam: how do you mount your NC?

irving fabic

Reaction score
Visit site
For the first few weeks, I noticed that I'm scuffing my seats with my boots and constantly having to clean then off..I stand about 5'10'' with inseam of 30'' and I can flat foot the bike with my 195 lbs. weight on it. I also have a 46 L trunk in the rear.I saw a clip on Youtube, where a guy steps on the Clutch side foot peg with his left foot, then swings over the right( folded) leg, all while the bike is on its side stand. No mishaps so far but , is this safe?I always check the spot where i plant the side stand of course(been there), but I'm referring to Structural strength here.

i'm 5'9, also 30" inseam-i can get on it anyway i like it. i guess i'm fairly flexible ?even with top tank on the back. heck..even with a tankon the back and bag on rear seat. it's matter of practice.
plenty of youtube videos.

to make things even more easier-i made my own links and lowered the bike by app 20mm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARcbo_dr02Y

i couldn't find the video,but there is another technique that i learned and now using often.
it goes like this-you sit on the bike,sidestand is out,then you twist your body to the right,grab right side(throttle) grip on handlebar with your LEFT hand,put your right fit on the ground,raise the left leg and dismount from the bike(to the right side)

i'm 5'9, also 30" inseam-i can get on it anyway i like it. i guess i'm fairly flexible ?even with top tank on the back. heck..even with a tankon the back and bag on rear seat. it's matter of practice.
plenty of youtube videos.

to make things even more easier-i made my own links and lowered the bike by app 20mm

With a backrest that method will never work. Also, it do not work with my 29" inseam and old bones. Here is what works for me. Stand next to the seat on kick stand side yet enough away from bike so as to lean over enough away from the bike to throw you leg over the bike, looking toward front of the bike. Grab hand guard to support yourself as you lean over and tick your right leg over the seat between backrest and fake tank. Then slide the rest of your body parts onto the seat.

Copeland 001.jpg

on.jpg

Open2.jpg

Open3.jpg

Open4.jpg

For the first few weeks, I noticed that I'm scuffing my seats with my boots and constantly having to clean then off..I stand about 5'10'' with inseam of 30'' and I can flat foot the bike with my 195 lbs. weight on it. I also have a 46 L trunk in the rear.I saw a clip on Youtube, where a guy steps on the Clutch side foot peg with his left foot, then swings over the right( folded) leg, all while the bike is on its side stand. No mishaps so far but , is this safe?I always check the spot where i plant the side stand of course(been there), but I'm referring to Structural strength here.

Structurally, I'd say yes, but as with anything, YMMV. How I do it, and how the next nine out of ten riders do it, could make me wince with fear and be aghast as to why they would do it "wrong", lol. I wouldn't put my foot on the extreme outside end of the foot peg. I wouldn't jump on it or place 100% of my weight on it, with no hands taking some pressure off by supporting myself a bit on the handle bars, etc., etc.

I will note in all honesty that I did the foot peg mount dismount for several years on my '80 and '82 CB400/450T's, and after about 7 years, the sidestand U where it bolts to the frame bracket and pivots, did get a little sloppy feeling. Never unsafe, but a bit loose rather than tight, where the bolt went through it.

When I have my Trax saddle bags mounted and usually gear piled up on the passenger seat and even on the tops of the panniers themselves, you would have to be 8' tall with an inseam to match, to try and get on or off with a normal swing the leg over the back seat.

Since I am a stubby 5'8" at a very generous estimate, with a 29-30-ish inseam at best, I can't flatfoot my NCX as it is, so when all packed up for camping, I have to do the stand on the left footpeg, and then mount/dismount thing, or, if I'm not too stiff and sore, do a "hurdle jump" kind of action, if you follow.

Left foot on the ground and me facing the side of the bike, bringing right foot heel first over the bike at the rider portion of the seat, versus the passenger section. (Same thing in reverse to dismount, but it can take a little backwards hop on the left foot, to clear the bike with the right foot)

When bike is not packed or loaded with bags 'n gear, I can get on or off the bike "normally" with no scuffing of the passenger seat when swinging leg over. My back is gimped, I'm old, and I have zero flexibility, so I think you just need a bit more practice and all will be good in time. ;)

Maybe try a bit of a tip toe lift with the left foot, combined with help from your hand on the left handle bar, to get an inch or so boost prior to right leg going over seat.

EDIT: Or do what OCR does! :D

OCR-i was always curious,how you get on that thing with your back rest. now i know your secret! ;)
i actually mount exact same way(cause there is no other way to get on with a bag on back seat)

0959f3114247.jpg

method described in my previous post above is works for me for dismounting to the right side

Thank you!

I just step up on the left peg with my left leg before I put my right leg over. Easy Peasy.

OCR, I'd like info on your backrest. It looks very comfortable. Is it easy removable, $, where to buy ........ ?
Thank You,
Ed

I've always thought getting off the bike is harder than getting on. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam. I cannot stand flat footed either. I hit my boot on the seat occassionaly. Never really was concerned about it. Just lift my foot higher next time. Now getting off is another story. I had to develop a one hop technique. I run saddlebags and a top box all the time. I cant just kick my leg back over so I put all my weight on my left foot and hop sideways once which allows my right leg to slide across the seat enough so I can pull it off.

Samsung Galaxy S4

I've never tried this myself, but I'd bet some active person could set this either beside or behind their bike, and GO FOR IT!

Trampoline.jpg

With a rack full of camping gear, I've mounted from the right peg many times. Right foot on the right peg, grab the bars and swing the left leg over everything. Plus, it takes the weight off the side stand.

OCR, I'd like info on your backrest. It looks very comfortable. Is it easy removable, $, where to buy ........ ?
Thank You,
Ed

Yes the back rest is removable. I take it off when I go ride in the dirt. I made this one myself from a Utopia Honda Goldwing seat about a year ago. Had to heat the metal and bend it to fit. However, Utopia now makes this backrest for the NC7.

Stretching at the gym helps alot in getting a leg over. First couple of weeks just about destroyed my knee hitting the grabrail every time.

Left peg method is a motor cross scrambler method. It may weaken your side stand but hey who wants to live forever?
Take care though. It may break.
No easy money there regarding how to mount up.
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know a very experienced woman rider who is probably no more that 5 feet tall, if that much. She owns a BMW R1200RT. She would lean her right hip against the bike, push the bike off the side stand, put side stand up, grab the clutch, turn the key, hit the starter, press the shift lever for first, and with her left foot on the peg twist the throttle. As soon as the bike started rolling she would lift her right leg over the saddle and ride away.

I use this method sometimes, especially when I have my backpack strapped to the pillion seat. I am 5'10 with a 32" inseam and 200lbs, my knees don't bend as well as they use to and some days I have to mount the bike with this method (I call it the horse mounting method).

The side stand should be able to sustain the weight, I don't weigh as much as the bike-I don't have a centerstand so I place a small car jack under the rear suspension and jack the rear tire up (side stand is then the second point with the weight of the bike on it) for when I do chain maintenance (every 400-500 miles and I have 11,000+ miles now) with no issues with the side stand.

5'9 and 275 here with a 30 " inseam. Bad back and knees just add to it. I can swing my leg over OK but have avoided getting the rear box, have OEM rack and saddlebags, because I wasnt sure how I would get on and off with it. As it is sometimes getting off I have trouble and my foot gets hung up on saddlebag. I will have to try OCR's way and see it it works for me

Back