• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shock Adjustment

Brand new NC700x owner here. Having the same type problems. Sharp “ up” bumps feel as if the bike has no shock at all and actually bounce the bike (and my 230lb, 63 year old arse) upward hard enough to compromise traction. I haven’t measured the sag yet, but the bike feels very firm when I sit on it. I want to experiment with changing the pre- load before doing anything else, but have no idea at this point if I have too much or too little preload. Is it just a matter of trial and error? Or is there a systematic way to go about this?

Brand new NC700x owner here. Having the same type problems. Sharp “ up” bumps feel as if the bike has no shock at all and actually bounce the bike (and my 230lb, 63 year old arse) upward hard enough to compromise traction. I haven’t measured the sag yet, but the bike feels very firm when I sit on it. I want to experiment with changing the pre- load before doing anything else, but have no idea at this point if I have too much or too little preload. Is it just a matter of trial and error? Or is there a systematic way to go about this?

Go back to page one ( if you have not read the entire post)...........you will not get much if any change in the small bump compliance with the stock shock and preload changes. Sorry but the first pages pretty much gives the good, bad and ugly.

Last edited:
Thanks Showkey, I think I understand the concepts involved but will still probably have to experiment to see if I can soften the ride up at all. I am not some canyon carver looking to eek out more knee dragging performance. Just an old guy with modest skills trying to reduce the pounding to my lower back. So far I like almost everything about this bike, except the ride. That said, I am probably not interested in dropping $600-800 dollars worth of suspension mods, which may not help anyway, into a $4000 bike. Would probably just sell and move on to a different bike before doing that.

I wonder if anyone on the forum has had personal experience with just adding a progressive rate spring...assuming one is available. I have seen a couple for sale, but was unable to find out anything about their specs.

Last edited:
Changing the amount of spring preload changes the ride height of the rear end and a PIA to adjust. The harshness is due to the dampening rate of the shock. It's not very good, and it's not adjustable.

Yeah, your issue lies in the hydraulics, not the spring. Without changing the shock there is not much you can do.

Given your weight you cannot put a softer spring, you would hit the max range on compression.

...Sharp “ up” bumps feel as if the bike has no shock at all and actually bounce the bike (and my 230lb, 63 year old arse) ...

Brief Summary: 10 year old shock with 43K miles with no oil leaks and retains the gas pressure. -- but the ride is still harsh over bumps (I'm 163lbs). I will replace the coil with a lower spring rate but keep the worn shock and see how the ride is and report my findings. Then, if needed, replace the shock with a complete assembly like the unit by YSS - and if necessary swap the coil on the YSS unit.

I realize this is an old post but imagine how I feel at 165 lbs! I'm experimenting with the rear coil right now. While others recommend more expensive shocks it is important to remember that most of them a coil with the same spring rate of 600lbs / inch. Unfortunately, Honda chose a coil with a narrow ID of 2" and most aftermarket coils for cars are 2.25" or larger ID. A car coil can be used as long as an adapter is used to keep the coil with a wider ID centered. There's plenty of room. I dissembled the rear shock which does not require spring compressors. Once the "Rear Shock Spring Preload Ring Collars" are loosened all the way the spring has no pressure.

2012 NC700X Rear Coil Shock Specifications (dissembled):
Note shock is original with 42K miles on it and most measurements were done with digital caliper.
Shock removed but not dissembled Center to center bolt hold length is: 12 3/16" (309.5mm)
Max stroke of the chrome part (shock dissembled) to the top of the rubber stopper bumper about 1.526" (38.83mm)
Chrome part including the bumper ~ 2"
Coil length (fully dissembled): 9.510" (241.56mm)
Coil ID: ~2" (50.6mm)
Coil OD: 3" (76.44mm)
Coil Thickness: ~ 1/2" (12.92mm) -- affects Rate 600lbs / in.
Shock Absorber body: 1.730" (43.96mm)
Threaded preload range: 1.10" (28.17mm)
All Bolts: ~10mm (9.9mm) OD (except top Allen Shock bolt which is 10 but widens to maybe 12mm.
Shock Top bolt hole width: 28.79mm
Shock Bottom bolt hole width: 36.73mm (39.18mm with steel sleeve installed)
Steel sleeve top and bottom: ID:10mm, OD 12mm (length see above)

Note: most aftermarket shock assemblies use a wider coil usually around 2.50" (estimated) probably because they are more widely available.

Note2: the gear oil on the shock is from the chain.

Attachments

• 03_Total length 12-3_16'' 309.5mm center to center-sm.jpg
    03_Total length 12-3_16'' 309.5mm center to center-sm.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 02_Dirty Shock-sm.jpg
    02_Dirty Shock-sm.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 04_Shock assembly-sm.jpg
    04_Shock assembly-sm.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • 06_Shock Chrome end-sm.jpg
    06_Shock Chrome end-sm.jpg