• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shinko Raven

Changed stock tire out at 9K, don't remember what it was. Put on a set of Shinkos, first time I've used them. I believe they are the 500 series front and rear. So far they handle nice on and off the road. I have a tendency to ride rather aggressive in the mountains here so the sides seem to wear out before the center treat. Same thing on my cruiser. Torque leaving the curves and braking going into them. Hope the Shinko hangs in there as they are cheaper than a lot of brands. May try a set on my cruiser next time up.

I tend to only get 5-6 thousand out of rear tires. Currently have PR4's. I just put one on the rear b/c of a nail puncture. That tire had 6000 miles, but was nearing replacement. I'm taking a 7000 mile trip in June, so I'm thinking I should put another new one on before I leave, but I will only have a couple of thousand on the current one. With a loaded bike, I'm not sure whether I can make the trip w/o a fresh tire before I leave. (heck, might not make it with one)

Bringing this thread back from the dead. I installed Shinko Ravens on my bike last April (rear tire) and June (front tire). I am replacing the rear tire this week, with 8000 miles on the tire and wear bars are wearing... front tire has 6000 miles and still looks great, at least another 2000-3000 miles to go (maybe more). My next set will be Shinko SR777...I have the SR777 on my Boulevard C50 (rear tire) which I put on there last May, has almost 10,000 miles and starting to square off but tread still looks great.
It is not the exact size but does come in 160/70/17..close enough...I will start a tread for the 777s when I start riding it.

After my ride to KSL I inspected my rear Raven closely. 1050 mile trip, 300+ on twisties.
Prolly 5k on the rear in total.
Question is this - the center wear is down to the TWIs on some spots and more rubber left on 66% of the circumference. The tire must be out of round, but a indicator check seems fairly true. Is this common? I never felt any surging or vibration from new to now. I run 42 psi and only 10% with a significant rear load. And, I am not a knee dragger
Thanks.

Last edited:
After my ride to KSL I inspected my rear Raven closely. 1050 mile trip, 300+ on twisties.
Prolly 5k on the rear in total.
Question is this - the center wear is down to the TWIs on some spots and more rubber left on 66% of the circumference. The tire must be out of round, but a indicator check seems fairly true. Is this common? I never felt any surging or vibration from new to now. I run 42 psi and only 10% with a significant rear load. And, I am not a knee dragger
Thanks.

Of all the tires out there, Shinko is one that I would not even be interested in running on anything.

Tires are one thing that sticks true to "you get what you pay for".

Is it balanced with weights? If so, are there a ton of weights in one area? If it were to be out of round, there would be a good bit of weights to make it balance out, otherwise you would be feeling a significant vibration.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Also is that what spec calls for on air pressure? 42 seems high to me, I only run 39-40 on my 850 lb bagger with Avon cobras on it. Got 35 in my Pilot Road 5's on the NC.

42 is what the owners manual calls for. I agree it's high.

The outside of the carcass no longer has runout. Do the grooves? Kinda hard to measure.

Responses:
Not many weights.
Mounted an arm with a clamp and checked clearance as I spun wheel/tire. Less than .020" runout.
Used to run 38-40psi, but now 42 per manual. Wrong?
Advanced center wear usually indicates overpressure on a car, but round profile motorcycle tires are different. Am hoping for insight/experience from you guys.
Plenty meat on the side tread.

On a motorcycle tire, low air pressure will cause cupping, too high pressure will cause premature center wear. I am going to try 35/35 on the NC and see how the tires do, as that is what I always ran on sportbikes on the street, the NC isn't much different in that respect. You could safely run 37/37 if you wanted to try that. Like I said, if you notice cupping of the tread, bump up the psi a bit. But I doubt you will with any psi over 32-34. I've noticed cupping on my bagger and check the psi and it be down to aroumd 20 lol

After thinking more on this, I don't know if you posted pics of your tire or not, as sometimes pics uploaded as attachments are not visible on tapatalk, but what you are experiencing may not be uncommon depending on severity. Your description may make it sound worse than it is in my interpretation. I have wore out many street tires over the years, usually running until the middle is slick, especially in my early 20's when money was sparse. It was not uncommon for me to have "slick spots" on some or most of the middle of the tire, and have tread lines barely visible on the other part(s). And most of them were Michelins. In paying attention to friends' tires, I've seen the same thing even more times.

What you are experiencing is probably fairly normal unless there is significant tread left on some parts and slick parts on the other. As for checking the tires round now, that probably would not detect anything given the miles on it already. Even if it were out of round new, you might not be able to tell it now. One thing I think would have to go hand in hand with being out of round anyways is either a bunch of weights or a terrible vibration.

JimbosToys, I’ve not experienced what I _think_ you’re describing on any tire, whether motorcycle, car, heavy truck, or tractor, unless it was failing structurally. There’s a pretty good chance that I’m envisioning something other than what you’re seeing, though.

Jimbo, it sounds like you might just have a defective tire, not a normal Shinko Raven.

I have a Shinko Raven front tire on my NC, and so far I think it’s about the best front tire I’ve ever had on the bike, all things considered. The PR4 was very nice but it’s similar performance, for the way I ride anyway, doesn’t justify its price. The Raven has 10,000 miles on it now, with no uneven wear or roundness problems. I expect to get to 15,000 miles on it. In fact, this might be the first tire that I’ll wear out the edges before the center. Handling, turn in feel, maintaining it’s profile, good grip and low price are all good attributes of this tire.

Having said all that about the front tire, I have no experience with the rear Raven, although I have one in stock waiting for installation soon. The wear pattern you report doesn’t sound good for any tire, and as I said, it might just be a one off bad tire.

Post some pictures if you can.

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for insight/comments. The tire is on it's way to tire heaven, but I was just curious. I also think 42 psi is too much, so will run lower going forward.
I will take a pic when I get back to the hangar.
BTW - on my trip to KSL and some aggressive riding I consider the grip pretty good.

Back