• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shinko 705's en route!

I got 7500 miles on the 150/70 rear tire. In this case I do believe the front is a very good tire, where I would calll the rear an average good tire because of miles.

150/70 here also. My new rear 705 made it here today, so I'll see how many miles it can go. The front still looks good.

Thanks for the feedback on the sizing! I just ordered a 120/70 front ($73.99), and a 150/70 rear ($84.74) from AMT, free shipping. These are going on the Beemerphile bike. It's going to become my on/off road NC while the other will be for street.

Size comparison chart on the 705 published by shinko go to size and specs tab in the link for overall diameter and other info.

705 Series | Shinko Tire USA

150/70r-17 has 25.28" diameter

170/60r-17 has A 25.04" diameter

Not that it matters on the NC but it is interesting the max load rating is almost 200 pounds less on the 170/60 tire.

Last edited:
I just ordered a Shinko 705 160/60 R17 rear tire from Amazon at $85.99 shipped. I'm keeping the Michelin PR3 up front as it still looks pretty good after about 8500 miles. I guess I'll have to remove the beaded seat cover to make up for the slightly taller rear tire. Fall is in the air here with the leaves just starting to change color at the higher elevations so I won't need to keep my butt cool much longer.

The above entry is incorrect, I probably only checked the size numbers I ordered 3 times instead of my usual 4. I bought the Shinko 705 150/70 at $85.99 for the rear and a 705 120/70 at $76.88 for the front and had them both put on. The stock pipe on the bike is so quiet at low speeds I'm sure I can hear the tires rumble on my local, no ear plugs rides, I know I can feel the vibration in the handlebars. The 705's are miles ahead of the Michelin PR3's on dirt roads and grip seems to be about as good in the wet.

Last edited:
This thread came up while searching for ways to make my NCX more "off-road worthy".... I have almost 600 miles on my bike now. And itching to go off roading (not rock or mud crawling) thanks to everyone in this thread for lots of useful info!

I will be swapping my still new stock tires for the Shinko 705's! in the larger sizes mentioned at the start of this thread. Thoughts on the TKO 80??

one thing I did not see addressed directly was do the slight size differences front to back cause any problems with the ABS or TC systems since they are not stock and sensing different wheel speeds front vs. rear???

Thanks!!
M

Last edited:
aaf2470dbbf6b91ceaa88549e21471b9.jpg

2aa64745d6f1b527006fd44ba18b6d1c.jpg

0360beb167d79afcaa1e78e349e95a0d.jpg

I did everything I could to the NC to make it better off-road,TKC80 front,K60 rear,skid plate,updated suspension etc.
I did the WABDR,Dalton hwy and 1,000's of miles off-road.
At best it was ok on dirt roads but it's to low and the 17" front makes it really hard for trails.
I finally got rid of it and bought a new KLR,the NC was much better on the pavement but the KLR has allowed me to go where ever I want at any time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So do these tires go on sale at times so that a person should just wait? I wouldn't mind picking up a rear tire as I know it will need to be replaced sooner than the front, but if these go on sale at times then I will just be patient and look for a deal. Thoughts on tire prices?

So do these tires go on sale at times so that a person should just wait? I wouldn't mind picking up a rear tire as I know it will need to be replaced sooner than the front, but if these go on sale at times then I will just be patient and look for a deal. Thoughts on tire prices?

Tires might go "on sale" from vendors that usually overprice them, but what kind of a deal is that? On rare occasions there are rebates for certain tires from certain manufacturers. But, for the most part tire prices remain constant.

I buy from American Motorcycle Tire. They usually have the lowest or nearly lowest price around, shipping is free on any tire, and I have had them show up on my porch in as little as 42 hours from the time I ordered them.

Last edited:
I did everything I could to the NC to make it better off-road,TKC80 front,K60 rear,skid plate,updated suspension etc.
I did the WABDR,Dalton hwy and 1,000's of miles off-road.
At best it was ok on dirt roads but it's to low and the 17" front makes it really hard for trails.
I finally got rid of it and bought a new KLR,the NC was much better on the pavement but the KLR has allowed me to go where ever I want at any time.

Glad to see I'm not the only one...

I started down that same road and could tell it was about to start getting expensive. Luckily, I stopped before i got to tires and suspension and bought a used KLR off of Craigslist.

It cost less than all the mods needed to make the NC as dirt-worthy as possible. I got a 2nd bike now that is more capable than my NC could ever be. I couldn't be happier and have what I think is the ideal combo of rides.

2 bikes to love for the win

Glad to see I'm not the only one...

I started down that same road and could tell it was about to start getting expensive. Luckily, I stopped before i got to tires and suspension and bought a used KLR off of Craigslist.

It cost less than all the mods needed to make the NC as dirt-worthy as possible. I got a 2nd bike now that is more capable than my NC could ever be. I couldn't be happier and have what I think is the ideal combo of rides.

2 bikes to love for the win

I even bought a 19" front wheel and did months of research on the conversion !!
I realized one day that no matter how much $$$$ I threw at it it was never going to be the bike I needed.

I even bought a 19" front wheel and did months of research on the conversion !!
I realized one day that no matter how much $$$$ I threw at it it was never going to be the bike I needed.

Just got my KLR Monday and already see why they sell so many...great all around bike. I really like it.

I'm still married to my NC...just seeing a KLR on the side.

705 front tire........plenty of tread depth left after 7800

Plenty of tread depth left after 7800 miles but getting noisy and rough ride. Feathering and uneven wear if becoming a problem. No real complaints or concerns pretty much normal wear.......

IMG_3590.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

IMG_3594.jpg

IMG_3595.jpg

I've put about 250 miles on shinko 705s on front and rear and so far I like them a lot. I love how it handles and I actually like the scrambler look of the bike without the front fender! I have the bolts and pieces to raise my fender but I'm going to continue to ride it without a fender since I just ride highways. It is little bit more noisier on the road but I don't mind that at all. Curious to see how many miles I can do on theses set.

I've put about 250 miles on shinko 705s on front and rear and so far I like them a lot. I love how it handles and I actually like the scrambler look of the bike without the front fender! I have the bolts and pieces to raise my fender but I'm going to continue to ride it without a fender since I just ride highways. It is little bit more noisier on the road but I don't mind that at all. Curious to see how many miles I can do on theses set.

Is the front fender off because you installed a 705 in a size other than 120/70-17?

Is the front fender off because you installed a 705 in a size other than 120/70-17?

Yes, I believe shinko recently released 120/70-17 in the 705s. So folks here have been ordering the 130/80-17 and it rubs. Haven't verified it myself but I'll just trust them. Can't beat $65 for the front and $85 for the rear. I can definitely feel the height increase of the bike as I can no longer flat foot it.

Back