• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shinko 705

Hey A_B, if you would post a picture of your 170/60. Man that is a huge rear tire, i'd like to see how that clears/fits if you would be willing... Thanks! :{)

I mounted my new Shinko 705's over the holiday break. This week was my first chance to go for a ride.

The tires feel really different from normal tires. The bike seems to want to fall into turns really fast. This will take some getting used to.

The bad: I now have a shimmy in the handlebars. It is really noticeable around 20mph. When I lift my hands from the bars, the bars wobble back and forth an inch or two at the bar ends. When holding the bars, I can feel the vibrations very lightly. At highway speeds, the vibration is there, but the handlebars don't wobble at that speed. I can see the vibrations in the mirrors at all speeds.

I elevated and spun the front wheel by hand and the bead is set correctly all the way around on both sides of the tire. Also, looking from the side and from above, spinning the tire shows no indication of being out of round. I wouldn't expect a balance issue, as that would seem to produce an up/down vibration instead of a side to side wobble.

Is it the big blocks in the tread pattern that causes the shimmy/wobble? Or do you think I have a bum tire?

JT

it's the blocks where they meet in the center of the tire. I've had the same on 2 differant bikes and 4 sets of tires.

I have run a set of Shinko 705s and never experienced shimmy or vibration. I’m not trying to say you don’t, just that I never did. Those tires do squirm on tar snakes, but otherwise handled fine for me.

Yeah, I'd run 705s if we didn't have so many wet/cold road days here.

I guess some get the vibration/wobble/shimmy and others don’t.
I only have about 100 miles on the set so far. I’ll run them for the summer and see how it goes. Hopefully they’ll get better. If not, I may replace them with something else.

JT

I mounted my new Shinko 705's over the holiday break. This week was my first chance to go for a ride.

The tires feel really different from normal tires. The bike seems to want to fall into turns really fast. This will take some getting used to.

The bad: I now have a shimmy in the handlebars. It is really noticeable around 20mph. When I lift my hands from the bars, the bars wobble back and forth an inch or two at the bar ends. When holding the bars, I can feel the vibrations very lightly. At highway speeds, the vibration is there, but the handlebars don't wobble at that speed. I can see the vibrations in the mirrors at all speeds.

I elevated and spun the front wheel by hand and the bead is set correctly all the way around on both sides of the tire. Also, looking from the side and from above, spinning the tire shows no indication of being out of round. I wouldn't expect a balance issue, as that would seem to produce an up/down vibration instead of a side to side wobble.

Is it the big blocks in the tread pattern that causes the shimmy/wobble? Or do you think I have a bum tire?

JT

I have/had the same issues when I installed my Shinko 705 about a year ago. https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/front-tire-wobbling-on-35-mph.15940/
Wobbling is still there but I don't notice any more - probably got used to it. :D
The falling in issue, I don't feel it anymore. Probably it's less noticeable after the tires are broken. And, the same as the wobbling, I got used to it.

Just give it time and you'll stop noticing it.
:D

When I bought my NC it had Bridgestone Battalax on it. I saw on this site last summer. That everyone was talking about the Shinko 705's. So I put a set of 705's on, in Calimesa, CA in May. 2500 miles later in July. The rear tire was bald in middle. So I said the heck with changing out rear tire every other month. So I investigated tires. And installed Pirelli Angel GT 2's. I got 10,000 miles out of rear tire. And have many more on front. I drive dirt roads some to. Since the NC is limited to more paved roads. I felt it was a waste of time with 705's. It's not rocket science the NC is no African Twin !

... The rear tire was bald in middle...
Because, I'm pretty sure, you rode it on the street 100% of the time. Shinko 705 are 80%-20%.

... And installed Pirelli Angel GT 2's. I got 10,000 miles out of rear tire...
I would actually recommend more Pilot Road tires, 4 or 5, doesn't matter. Still the #1 rubber. :D

... Since the NC is limited to more paved roads...
This is so far from the truth. As you said, it's not AT, but check YouTube videos what are NCs capable off, and where NC owners taking their bikes - you would be surprised. ;)

I would actually recommend more Pilot Road tires, 4 or 5, doesn't matter. Still the #1 rubber. :D
I was not impressed by the Road 4. Didn't give me more mileage than what I had used previously, and for me didn't handle as nicely/feel as good. What I'm using now also handles better, but don't know about the mileage yet. So I am glad there are other alternatives, and that one venue's #1 is just another choice elsewhere.

I admit I rode about 90/10 on the 705. And I always try to get the best bang for bucks. But paying 100 for a tire vs 200. I would have bought 4 Shinkos vs what I got from the Angel GT 2. So if my cheap math is correct. And down time spent. I would of spent 400 for Shinko plus down time of ordering 4 tires and time to installing them. When your out riding and camping on the road all year. Time spent was way to much on Shinko. I like to ride vs waiting on tire. And it was a toss up on Pilot 5's vs Angel GT 2. I was happy with my decision. The major thunderstorm I hit on million dollar Hwy from Silverton to Durango. With full load. The Angel GT'2's road like it wasn't even raining.

I grew up riding dirt bikes. Seen Cannonshots rides on ADVRider. So yes I've seen where the NC's can go. But the NC can't do all dirt roads fast. I even have to ride 14 miles of unmaintaind road. Just to get to town and back. I ride with all the razors, atvs, and motocross bikes. And a few adventure bikes. Mainly BMW's. I even camped on hillside above Gunnison. I was for sure I was going to lay over the NC there. I took my time and didn't stop going up hill. Was surprised.

As for deep sand. I've tried it with the Shinkos. The NC doesn't like deep sand. Fell over and had to unpack gear to hall out. Then go back and recover NC. Fun but hard work.

But the NC can't do all dirt roads fast.
Yeah. That fat 17" front isn't right. And I doubt even with the best fork suspension upgrades I could feel comfortable at 60% the speed doing what I do routinely on my WR250R. Especially when it comes to a save.

I just blew front fork seal other day. Had it redone just over a year ago. So I push the NC and know we'll what the NC suspension is capable of. Some spots I can hit 60 mph. But hills with major washboard and pot holes. I have to come to almost stop. Downshift to first and ride up slow. A African Twin or BMW would of flown by me. As the 30,000 dollars razors do. And yes I get heavily dusted out. Can't even see the road at times. Just have to watch out for borrows and cattle. Just killed a Western Diamondback last week at camp. He didn't rattle but made 2 click sounds. I knew exactly what it was behind me five feet away. So yep, the snakes are out.

The more I read about everyone's preference on tires. Price, handling, road noise, durability, etc,etc. It all comes down to ones preference and experience. I had no problems with the Shinko 705's. It's just the rear wore out on me way quicker than expected. But yes it cost less. I had my experience with them. And my preference was for a higher mileage tire. So that's why I went to what I wanted. And I'm happy with that. So don't jump on the bandwagon of what everyone else is getting. Just get a tire your happy with. Because in the long run it's only you. That has to be happy with your purchase. The main thing is get out and ride.

I chose to try the Shinko 705 because I like riding gravel roads. They were inexpensive enough to try them.
Sometimes my 10 mile commute takes 45 minutes on paved roads. I can take the long way home on gravel and cut my time in half. These roads sometimes are a little loose and the original Dunlops would feel a bit loose at times.

Our local road commission also likes to 'chip seal' the asphalt roads around here in the summer. This is where they spray tar over the road and spread crushed stone (a little bigger than kitty litter) all over. Then cars drive on it to pack it into the tar and cracks. This is supposed to seal all the cracks in the surface to help extend the road's life through the freeze/thaw cycles here in Michigan. Regular road tires skate around on this fine gravel. I am hoping that the 705 will do better.

I only have a few hundred miles on the tires so far, all pavement as the dirt roads have been really muddy. Hopefully the 705 will be a little better than the Dunlops on gravel. If not, I'll wear these out and try something else.

JT

Back