• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shinko 705 long miles tread wear w/pictures

Just remember, if it’s taking too much muscle to dismount and mount the tires, you’re probably doing it wrong. I learned that it’s more about technique and less about brute force. Good luck, and ask for help on the forum if you need it...

If I may hijack the Topic (again :D): I was thinking to install the front tire myself, but the only reason why to take it to the Honda Dealer is balancing the wheel. I don't have "balancer".
And, how many of you changed a tire on your trip - and, when back home, took the bike to a dealer just to balance the wheel?!?

If I may hijack the Topic (again :D): I was thinking to install the front tire myself, but the only reason why to take it to the Honda Dealer is balancing the wheel. I don't have "balancer".
And, how many of you changed a tire on your trip - and, when back home, took the bike to a dealer just to balance the wheel?!?

I used a 20% off coupon and bought a tire balancer at Harbor Freight. It cost me less than having a tire mounted.

JT

I don't tend to bother with balancing and haven't felt anything odd, but then again most of the tires I do are for supermoto.

What Jt105 said. A tire balance stand is fairly inexpensive.

The balancing process adds very little time to the tire change process. I always balance the wheels myself. I don’t take anything to a dealer if I don’t have to. Part of the satisfaction is being able to do it yourself and not be dependent on other parties. It’s much faster to do it yourself, too.

The exception is that I don’t balance spoked dirt bike wheels or wheels from 50cc scooters, due to their slower rotational speeds.

Last edited:
I used a 20% off coupon and bought a tire balancer at Harbor Freight. It cost me less than having a tire mounted.

JT

I was thinking about it but the problem is that you have to have nice spot, 100% flat (horizontal, leveled...) and it can be a bit a problem in my case... I know it sounds odd and funny, but... :(

What Jt105 said. A tire balance stand is fairly inexpensive.

The balancing process adds very little time to the tire change process. I always balance the wheels myself. I don’t take anything to a dealer if I don’t have to. Part of the satisfaction is being able to do it yourself and not be dependent on other parties. It’s much faster to do it yourself, too.

The exception is that I don’t balance spoked dirt bike wheels or wheels from 50cc scooters, due to their slower rotational speeds.
While the guy explaining it didn't sound very bright, I was thinking of issuing th his method

YouTube

I'm not going to use weights anyway (I've used slime previously, going to use glass beads this time) I'm basically just making sure the heavy spot on the rim and the heavy spot on the tire aren't lined up

While the guy explaining it didn't sound very bright, I was thinking of issuing th his method

YouTube

I'm not going to use weights anyway (I've used slime previously, going to use glass beads this time) I'm basically just making sure the heavy spot on the rim and the heavy spot on the tire aren't lined up

If you want to line up the heavy spot on the tire opposite the heavy spot on the rim, you need to know where those two spots are. Some, but not all tires are marked with a dot. To know where the heavy spot on the bare rim is, you will need the balance stand to find it, and permanently mark it. If you think the heavy spot on the rim is where the valve stem is, then you will be wrong most of the time. According to my experience and measurements about 6 rims, the majority of the time the heavy spot is NOT where the valve stem is. I have a whole ‘nother thread on that topic somewhere.

If you want to line up the heavy spot on the tire opposite the heavy spot on the rim, you need to know where those two spots are. Some, but not all tires are marked with a dot. To know where the heavy spot on the bare rim is, you will need the balance stand to find it, and permanently mark it. If you think the heavy spot on the rim is where the valve stem is, then you will be wrong most of the time. According to my experience and measurements about 6 rims, the majority of the time the heavy spot is NOT where the valve stem is. I have a whole ‘nother thread on that topic somewhere.
Thanks, I've heard that about the rims (probably on here) any way to find the heavy spot on the tire alone?

I was planning on doing that jack stand method with just the bare rim to find the heavy spot on the rim

ahahahahaaaaa!!! My 705's arrived!! Now to get the last few miles out of my cheapie tires from last year and get them on! I too mount and balance them myself. A local tire shop allows me to use their machine to dismount/mount and then i take them home and balance them myself. Warm tires are def the easiest to work with!!! :{)

I got my 705's installed and my first ride into work with them they definitely felt different then my usual street tires, they did "fall into turns" you get used to that pretty quick though between being brand new and 25% off road I'm riding very conservatively for now, they are also a bit taller, while on my center stand the rear tire is close to the ground

I did a little searching re:front fender relocation and didn't manage to find much, anyone have a link?

I need tires soon and am considering going with the bigger front.

Back