• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shinko 705 - 150/70 Rear and 130/80 Front on DCT bike

north6633

Reaction score
Visit site
I have been searching the forum, but I have not been able to confirm if this combination will work on a 700X DCT. I don't know why it wouldn't, but I was curious if anyone has tried it on a DCT. I see where it has been used on a non-dct. Is there a max change from the stock tire diameters that the DCT will start to throw faults? This combo is almost the same size front and rear with a 3mm difference and the stock is a 26mm difference. I haven;t found any information on the limit, other than the mention that the DCT will malfunction if the tires are out of spec., but no mention of what that the max difference can be.

Thanks

That tire starts with more than 10/32 of an inch of tread (about 8mm). The difference between stock and the 150/70 is about 9mm. If the DCT had a problem with a different tire size than it would appear whenever you get low on tread (or when you first put these on). Granted the stock tire started with about 2/32 of tread but many people are running the Shinko's with a larger diameter. As for the front, I doubt there would be a problem there because the VSS does not run off the front.

Thanks for the response. I did not know if the DCT used the front tire size in its operation. Or the difference between the front and rear tire size would effect it. I have not been able to find any info regarding this or even anything saying the DCT through a fault other than a post that said it could. Nothing saying "I had these tires and the DCT failed".

So I am assuming as widely as these ties are used they aren't a problem, since I can find anything that says there is a problem. This being the internet, there would be a complaint somewhere if it were the case. :)

Just an FYI - My 750x had those tires on it when I bought it. Things were fine for the first few thousand km's, then I kept hearing a "flopping" sound from the rear tire. I pulled over and didn't see anything, I thought one of the lugs had maybe partially ripped. Checked it when I got home and still saw nothing out of the ordinary. My next ride the sound started again so after a more thorough investigation it turns out one of the lugs had delaminated causing it to raise at a higher speed thus hitting the rear tire cover. Pushing down on the said lug it felt real soft. Needless to say there will be no shinko's in my future.

I had my rear Shinko 705 delaminate like that. POS tires. I bought my son a NC700X last week and guess what tires on it....705s. Going to ride Big Bend next week and im taking another rear and tools just in case.

Back