• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

sheduled maintenance?

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How do you know what scheduled maintenance is for this bike?
Is there a guide or chart somewhere?

When is the first tune up? oil change?

The manual doesn't look like it's very thorough. I'll check it again, but I was expecting something that looked like a spreadsheet with miles driven, and then some detailed description of what needs to be done.

600 miles ------- basic tuneup --------- R/R oil and filter, R/R air filter, top off all liquid, replace spark plugs.
8000 miles ------ annual tuneup-------- (same as 600 plus) set chain tension, adjust disc brakes, flush coolant system, adjust clutch.

thanks,
DB

That schedule is found in the service manual.

There is no "tune up" anymore with solid state ignition and fuel injection. Basically oil & filter changes at 600 then 8000 miles, valve check or adjust at 8000, air filter at 12,000. Brake fluid change at 12,000. Coolant change 16,000. Spark plugs at 24,000 I think. Inspect or adjust cables at valve checks, lube chain at 300. Not much.

Last edited:
That schedule is found in the service manual.

There is no "tune up" anymore with solid state ignition and fuel injection. Basically oil & filter changes at 600 then 8000 miles, valve check or adjust at 8000, air filter at 12,000. Brake fluid change at 12,000. Coolant change 16,000. Spark plugs at 24,000 I think. Inspect or adjust cables at valve checks, lube chain at 300. Not much.

Thank you, Dave. What page is that on? I believe you, I just want to make a log for the so I can keep track of that stuff.

I don't know the page number but it is at the beginning of Section 3. This is in the NC700X/S/A Service Manual, not the Owners Manual.

Last edited:
Thank you, Dave. What page is that on? I believe you, I just want to make a log for the so I can keep track of that stuff.

Don't take this the wrong way (things are *always* taken the wrong way when you least want them too, lol) but for anyone actually interested in maintenance schedules, logs, spreadsheets, etc., I'm usually curious as to why they don't get a Shop Manual for their bike. If nothing else, they are great reading and a nice way to really get familiar with the ins and outs of their machines.

I can see the guys who aren't interested in this stuff not caring enough to get one, but I could never own a bike without the shop manual, so that's colours my take on the matter I guess... :eek:

What would be considered a reasonable cost to have the 600 mile service done at the dealership. When I signed the papers on mine the dealer said it was going to be $320 ("takes 3 hours to check every thing from top to bottom") but we was trying to sell me a prepaid service contract (I didn't bite). I doubt its really much more than a simple oil change which I can easily do - but was curious in case I get lazy.

I don't know the page number but it is at the beginning of Section 3. This is in the NC700X/S/A Service Manual, not the Owners Manual.

Thanks. That's why I couldn't find it. It's not in the Owner's manual!

I'd like to learn how to do the maint. myself, so it's time to order the manual.
Do you guys do that? Do your own scheduled maint?

I'd like to learn how to do the maint. myself, so it's time to order the manual.

I'm pretty sure there is a table in the owner's manual with some of this info. I did get the service manual and I typically do maintenance stuff myself.

Here is a link to the owner's manual in case your dealer didn't give you one. http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/201-honda-nc700x-owners-manual.html The owner's manual tells what is on the schedule, but not how to perform all the tasks. For more info then what's contained therein, buy the service manual from Helm, Inc. 2012 NC700X Service Manual - Helm Incorporated

Greg
At first glance the US version of the schedule in the Owners Manual has some important differences in the air filter and brake fluid maintenance items compared to the online version so linked. I do all my own maintenance.

Last edited:

No. It is in the owner's manual.

Sorry to have to say it, but please read the owner's manual that should have come with the bike (RTFM). In the Maintenance section of the USA NC700X owner's manual on pages 52 and 53, it shows the maintenance schedule along with page numbers to refer to for most, but not all maintenance procedures. And yes, I do all my own repairs and maintenance. The dealer will never see the bike again except for recalls.

Greg

What would be considered a reasonable cost to have the 600 mile service done at the dealership. When I signed the papers on mine the dealer said it was going to be $320 ("takes 3 hours to check every thing from top to bottom") but we was trying to sell me a prepaid service contract (I didn't bite). I doubt its really much more than a simple oil change which I can easily do - but was curious in case I get lazy.

If memory serves me, my dealer wanted around $45.00 for the first service. They only want $5.00 to change the oil.

That's a great dealer! The two local ones both want $100 plus the parts cost. I think I can do it for free, and save $20 on the oil and filter too.

Back