• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Shad SH40 cargo, etc.

skiphunt

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here. I just picked up a new nc700x 2012 in Oklahoma and road it back to Austin, Texas. 2.5hrs from Bartlesville, Oklahoma to Edmond, Oklahoma. Then 7hrs from Edmond, OK to Austin, TX.

Bike did great, but I was running into headwind and keeping the speed varied from about 70-85mph. Ended up getting about 50mpg. Guessing that will get better with lower speeds and no head wind.

The seat wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Not the most comfy, but better than some. I'm thinking an Alaska Leather seat cover with a cut-up yoga matt piece like I used with my vstrom should suffice for longer trips. Short trips with no more than 2-3hrs a day, I don't think I'll need anything. Does anyone know the right size of Alaska Leather for the NCX? I don't want to spend the money on an airhawk. Better alternatives for the Alaska Leather option in the $50 range?

The windshield definitely needs improvement. I've been going through all the threads, and can't decide. Looks like I go with either the Puig, Givi, or MRA vario. But, I'm curious if the add-ons like the Wunderlich Vario Wind Deflector do enough. Ideally, I'd rather have something that easily attaches just for longer trips to the stock screen. Around town, the stock one seems to be fine for me.

Was hoping my handguards from my vstrom would fit, but it's going to take too much mod. Will just get something specifically for the NCX later, and just as wind protection. I don't plan on "bustin' any bark" on this bike. ;) Anyone have any recommendations on basic cheap hand guards just for wind deflection?

I would like to keep it naked most of the time, but I will be taking some trips as well. I think I'm going with the SHAD SH40 Cargo topbox. I don't want to spend a bunch of money, but of the options that have a cargo area on top of the top box lid, it seems the best price I can find is the Shad. Fittings and top box delivered for about $300. I've become fairly good at keeping my luggage minimal. I think I can get by with the frunk, the 40liter top box, and extra stuff like an ultralight tent strapped to the cargo rack on top of the SH40. Anyone know of a better option or less expensive one that does the same?

The seat filler issue is one of the reasons I'm going for the top box with a cargo rack on top. But, I have been looking at seat bags that could be used before having to opt for panniers. I think I can get by without panniers at all, but that Gears Navigator bag I've seen on this site looks like a winner. Does anyone know if you can still lift the seat to fill up with the Navigator bag if you've also got a top box mounted? I saw these Fast Pack tail bags at Cycle Gear yesterday. They attach to the seat itself, so lifting to fill shouldn't be a problem. They had two different sizes for $69. seemed a bit pricey for what it is, but it looks like it could just stay there all the time and just expand when needed. Anyone try one of these on the NCX?

So far, I really like the bike. LOVE it for running around town on quick errands. Haven't done any touring or camping with this bike yet, but I'm very optimistic. :)

Welcome! Enjoy!!!!!!
Glad your first experience is a positive one!!!! :)

Welcome, I drove to Arkansas to pick up my bike a few months ago because the local dealer wouldn't match the deal they had. Seven and a half hours each way, from Palestine Tx, and I got to stare at the bike in the rear view all the way home, your way was better! Of course it was in the twenties when I went so it would have been a long cold ride.
Check ebay for the hand guards, there is a set for ~$49 there that should work fine as wind protection.
I think the stock seat is good, but I did the seat slope mod since I didn't like it pushing me to the tank.
Good luck on the windshield, I've modified the honda tall screen every way I can think of and its still not great.
My bike came with the panniers along with a whole host of honda accessories so I'm not going to get a top box, ever. Besides I equate them to a man wearing a fanny pack. Just not right... :)

Welcome to the forum!
It sounds like you have a really good handle on the bike and what you want to do with it. I've had a Shad top case (different model than the one you posted) and it worked well for me.
I can't really give you any advice on the rear bags since I don't use one, but personally I wouldn't eliminate a bag that interferes with opening the rear seat. If I'm on a trip, I wouldn't mind having to move the bag to fuel up. I figure I'd want to take a few minutes to stretch and move around some anyway and unhooking and re-attaching a bag doesn't take much time. Of course I do vaguely remember typically being in much more of a hurry when I was 30 or 40 years younger, so your mileage may vary.:)

Bob

@Icing... wasn't 100% positive. I got a little excited after not being able to sleep during the bus trip. The dealer told me the bike had 3/4 a tank, so based on reports of 60-80mpg, I chanced it and ran out of gas. Had to push the bike for 2 miles to get gas. The good part is that now I know what it looks like when you run out of gas. ;) And, I learned this bike is MUCH easier to push than my vstrom is.

@DanWill... I saw the ones on ebay but there are some at CycleGear that are on sale for $20. For wind only, will likely get those. I don't like the look of the top boxes either, but the one I referenced also has a cargo rack on top. I think I can get it down to just the front storage and the topbox with stuff lashed on top. That way I just unclick and carry only one bag to the room. While at home, I'll just leave it in the garage packed with a shower pack, camp towel, hammock, etc. and ready to go at a moments notice. Will only be using when I take trips. That front trunk is just big enough for most of whatever I'd need. Ran an errand yesterday, picked up some creamer for the wife, a box of wine for me, and a few other things. After my wallet, a compact camera, some extra tie-downs, etc. I still had a little room left.

@Spaceteach... I actually don't think I'd mind moving a seat bag as long as it unlashed and connected easy. On the bring-home ride, I just took a backpack and lashed it on with a bungie net and a ratchet strap. It was a pain to take it off and remount on every fill-up. I have a Shad 37 on my vstrom that I'm selling. I thought I'd just get the fittings and move it over to the ncx but I really want that cargo area on top.

Welcome! Shame you went to Oky instead of Arky.

I have the Gears Navigator bag and a top box. Haven't tried them together. Supposed to stop raining this weekend so I'll stuff the bag and try it out.

I like the cargo options you found, I haven't seen them mentioned before. While I'm not really in the market right now, the sidemount luggage system looked very interesting as well on that CycleGuys link.

The Calsci windshield has its fans, but so far in just a few days of ownership, I'm liking the Madstad windshield. It is small but keeps the wind off your helmet without buffeting.

Welcome! Shame you went to Oky instead of Arky.

I have the Gears Navigator bag and a top box. Haven't tried them together. Supposed to stop raining this weekend so I'll stuff the bag and try it out.

I tried a couple shops in Arkansas too, but the best deal I found was in Bartlesville, OK. I also have family in Edmond, OK that I hadn't seen in 10years, so I made a long over-due visit out of the trip as well. Let me know if the Navigator opens for fill with the topbox in the way. Thanks!

Also, I replied to this thread earlier today with references to everyone so far... but it said the reply would have to be approved by a moderator. I also tried to edit the title of my post for new members, but the text from my whole original post disappeared. Is there something funky going on with my account? Or, is this just some introductory period where anything I post has to be approved by a moderator?

I'm thinking something must be wrong because I can reply to a post no problem. It's just replying to a thread or starting and/or editing a thread that seems to be messed up. User error? Or, is this the way it really works?

Last edited:
Also, I replied to this thread earlier today with references to everyone so far... but it said the reply would have to be approved by a moderator. I also tried to edit the title of my post for new members, but the text from my whole original post disappeared. Is there something funky going on with my account? Or, is this just some introductory period where anything I post has to be approved by a moderator?

I'm thinking something must be wrong because I can reply to a post no problem. It's just replying to a thread or starting and/or editing a thread that seems to be messed up. User error? Or, is this the way it really works?

Same kind of stuff happened to me when I first joined this forum. Then the problems just went away. Guessing it does have something to do with a moderator needing check the stuff being posted by new members.

Picking up some cheap handguards from CycleGear today that are on sale for $20. Only need as hand wind shields. Just ordered the Shad 40 cargo last night with fittings, but found out they're back-ordered a bit. Was hoping to go on some trial runs very soon. I figure I can get the bare essentials, ie. hammock, solar tarp, hammock riggings, rain gear, flashlight, compact camera, shower kit and camp towel stuffed into a compression sack that might fit in the frunk. If it does, then the extra 40liters in the top box and the cargo rack space on top should be all I need for up to a month-long trip.

Figure I'll take a day sack I have from REI that compresses down small as as extra storage that can be lashed to the seat if I need it. Was thinking of those bladders others have been mentioning for extra gas. Not that I would carry extra gas very often, but there are stretches leaving Texas where it's a good 150 miles between gas stations. Add a headwind and the nc700x wouldn't make it that far. Better to have something that could carry a couple gallons just in case that folded up small for storage.

Have no clue what I'm going to do about the windshield. I really don't want to put something giant on there because most of the time the stock one works fine. It doesn't sound like the Givis, and touring screens are that much of an improvement either. Has anyone tried the laminar lip that slips over the stock screen that I've seen on eBay? That would be ideal if it worked, ie. only put it on for longer trips.

If it turns out the Gears, Navigator tail bag will still let you open the seat for filling gas with a top box also mounted, may get one of those too.

I have to give it a no fit. My topbox sits 2" behind the seat. Back of the bag sits up to the box so no room when you start to lift the seat. If the topbox was another inch back then it may work if you packed just right and didn't fill the back of the bag.

I have to give it a no fit. My topbox sits 2" behind the seat. Back of the bag sits up to the box so no room when you start to lift the seat. If the topbox was another inch back then it may work if you packed just right and didn't fill the back of the bag.

Thanks for checking. My topbox isn't here yet but it's a Shad 40 Cargo. I'm assuming the clearance would be about the same.

I don't mind having to attach and reattach a seat bag for fillups as long as it's quick and easy-peasey. When I was riding the new bike home from Oklahoma, I had a backpack on the back using at 6 connector bungie net AND a ratchet strap. unmounting/remounting for each fillup was a hassle. Anyone know of the easiest attach/reattach seat bag out there that'll hold a boat load of stuff? ;)

Thanks for checking. My topbox isn't here yet but it's a Shad 40 Cargo. I'm assuming the clearance would be about the same.

I don't mind having to attach and reattach a seat bag for fillups as long as it's quick and easy-peasey. When I was riding the new bike home from Oklahoma, I had a backpack on the back using at 6 connector bungie net AND a ratchet strap. unmounting/remounting for each fillup was a hassle. Anyone know of the easiest attach/reattach seat bag out there that'll hold a boat load of stuff? ;)
ROK Straps with any bag.

Those look interesting. Checked out their site. Are they really that much better than average ratchet straps?
They are not ratchet, they are streatch. They are two piece. Each piece loops through itself around what you at tying to such as one to hand rail and one to attachment point on bag. No concern with scratching anything. There is a clip connection. For using on the back seat on NC700 one can just release the clip to remove bag then reclip when fueling is done. I have been using them on another bike for several years and I think they are great. The web page has a quick video of strapping a bag on a motorcycle back seat.

They are not ratchet, they are streatch. They are two piece. Each piece loops through itself around what you at tying to such as one to hand rail and one to attachment point on bag. No concern with scratching anything. There is a clip connection. For using on the back seat on NC700 one can just release the clip to remove bag then reclip when fueling is done. I have been using them on another bike for several years and I think they are great. The web page has a quick video of strapping a bag on a motorcycle back seat.

I like having a daypack with me when I travel. I've got a rain cover for mine so I'm thinking with the front truck, the SH40 cargo top box, and a full daypack, that should be plenty of storage for me. I'll lash the tent and maybe a sleeping mat on top of the cargo top box, and since these straps look really easy to connect and reconnect for fill ups... I'm thinking I'll be set. Ordering a set but can't decide if I should get a second set for the cargo rack atop the SH40 box. I've already got ratchet straps, bungie net, and various bungie cords, but I'm liking the quick connect/release design of these. Might get a second set to use on the top box.

Center stand is on order... top box and fittings on the way, hand guards installed, I think these straps will take care of the back seat. Now, I just need to make up my mind on the windshield and I'll be ready to head out.

update: Watched the video on their site. Pretty simple and somewhat over-priced I think.. but I really like the simplicity of the design and just ordered 2 sets. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:
Back