• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Setting off in 2nd gear

This would be questionable due to the simple physics: when is the overcoming of inertia easier and the transfer of power greater? In first or second gear?

Apples to oranges comparison here BUT in many drag racing applications first gear is not used when launching. Why do they not use first?

So you always do first-gear starts at downhill intersections? There are other scenarios when someone might feel they are not committing clutch abuse of course, and this is just one ; }

The downhill scenario is just one of scenarios where it does make a sense. Although, when I had my ST, and "starting" my bike downhill - I would start moving with pulled clutch lever anyway. And, depending of the speed I reach I'll change the gear. :D

The downhill scenario is just one of scenarios where it does make a sense. Although, when I had my ST, and "starting" my bike downhill - I would start moving with pulled clutch lever anyway. And, depending of the speed I reach I'll change the gear. :D
Likewise. But low-slope with vehicles in front taking their time to find their behind – and blasting crushers moving up in back of me, I use engaged gears at the appropriate tier to be ready for stooooopids.

I don’t understand the apparent need to justify reasons for starting off in 2nd gear. If you ride a manual and never see a reason to start in 2nd, then always start in first. If you ride a manual and find occasions where starting off in 2nd has an advantage over starting in first, then do so if you want. I think that’s what greenboy meant when he said the following in post #9:
Anyone who doesn't know how or why should avoid it.

The OP simply asked If starting off in 2nd could cause damage. I’m fairly certain that question has been answered.

So you always do first-gear starts at downhill intersections? There are other scenarios when someone might feel they are not committing clutch abuse of course, and this is just one ; }
I've never started out in 2nd on any manual bike I've had unless I screwed up and thought I was in first. I mean I've done it, just to see in my early days of riding, but never even thought about making a habit out of it.

Apples to oranges comparison here BUT in many drag racing applications first gear is not used when launching. Why do they not use first?
I could make two guesses: first reason is to reduce wheel spin and put more useful power to pavement. Second is perhaps unlikely, but maybe these engines make so much torque that the transmission would be destroyed in first.

the clutch is not cheap
HONDA has calculated the best for the engine
I also started the 2nd gear, I think the engine didn't want to (sorry)

In stop and go traffic I tend to stay out of 1st unless I absolutely have to.....and as someone else pointed out, there is a certain intersection on my ride to work that when it is raining, almost requires starting in second. It's uphill and something about the pavement makes it very slick when wet.....both my bike and my '94 Dakota with a 318 I have to start in second on those days or I just sit and spin. :D

I could make two guesses: first reason is to reduce wheel spin and put more useful power to pavement. Second is perhaps unlikely, but maybe these engines make so much torque that the transmission would be destroyed in first.
Your first guess is the more accurate. Depending on that drag strips traction at the lights is whether 1st or 2nd is used.

Back