• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

serious thoughts..

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm starting to have serious thoughts now about giving biking up altogether.
too many idiots on the roads bikers more so.
maybe I'm starting to realise the dangers that's lurking out there.
had a few long chat with my wife about it the past couple of weeks and it still on going.
she doesn't like the idea because it means we won't be going to places like we've been,well not in the car anyway.
don't get me wrong I still enjoy riding but at times I feel a little nervous .
a bit apprehensive at times going into blind corners etc beside other idiots wanting to take you out.
I honestly don't know why I've started to feel like this.
don't know if others felt the same at times.
deep down I don't want to give up biking.
as much I like the NC ,I thought about getting something smaller but what?
I still like the old fashion style of bikes like the Kawasaki W650/800 as well as the old two stroke T500.
my friend had a W650 but with a small tank he had to start looking for a petrol station after about 150 miles.
the Suzuki T500 90 miles max.
anyway I'll leave at that for now.

To me a smaller bike does not make it safer, unless the weight or seat height are more than you can handle. But if you are unsure, you probably should not fight it. I have friends that have stopped riding for the reasons you mentioned. Maybe get a dirt bike and ride off road.

One of the guys a rode with regularly has given it up b/c of similar observations. He said there were too many crazies on the road. I can't blame him and I assume that one day I will reach that point too. However, I might take up trials riding just in case. Gotta loose some weight first.

It's good to be aware and a little on edge. Too much and you are not enjoying it.
Yesterday, I put 523 miles on my bike. I saw 1 live wild hog, 1 dead hog and one dead deer. Any of those would have surely done me in.
I always pray before a ride and I try to stay aware. I will slow down if I have an unsure feeling about an area.
All in all, I trust my safety to destiny but I don't ride like my destiny can't be changed by stupidity.

I'm starting to have serious thoughts now about giving biking up altogether.
too many idiots on the roads bikers more so.
maybe I'm starting to realise the dangers that's lurking out there.
had a few long chat with my wife about it the past couple of weeks and it still on going.
she doesn't like the idea because it means we won't be going to places like we've been,well not in the car anyway.
don't get me wrong I still enjoy riding but at times I feel a little nervous .
a bit apprehensive at times going into blind corners etc beside other idiots wanting to take you out.
I honestly don't know why I've started to feel like this.
don't know if others felt the same at times.
deep down I don't want to give up biking.
as much I like the NC ,I thought about getting something smaller but what?
I still like the old fashion style of bikes like the Kawasaki W650/800 as well as the old two stroke T500.
my friend had a W650 but with a small tank he had to start looking for a petrol station after about 150 miles.
the Suzuki T500 90 miles max.
anyway I'll leave at that for now.

I completely understand you, thinking the same way sometimes. While on the road we're better off in big heavy SUV then on bike.
That's why I'm leaning more and more towards dirt bike and offroad riding. The only thing can hit me there is a deer :)
Currently already I'm avoiding highway and high speed roads all together. On the other hand a little bit of risk in life is good too.

Hmm. I went through a bad patch many years ago. I seemed to be getting spooked too easily and always expecting the worst around the next bend. Walls and trees on bends were particularly threatening. I did not want to stop riding at that time, but I was not enjoying my riding. I got off my big road bikes for a while and got myself a Kawasaki KLR 650. Basically I took to the backroads and enjoyed the countryside at a more relaxed pace for a while. I got over it though and after a year or so was back to my old self. I think I was in my early 40's at the time.

I have no idea what caused this but it hasn't happened again since. I have been riding without a break for about 45 years. I am also a firm believer that regular riding at least three out of seven days a week is necessary to keep one on song.

I am not sure that giving up will be a good idea. As I have often heard it said, one can meet their end walking across a road just as easily as on a motorcycle. I have also heard it said that once your time is up it is up no matter what you are doing. There are crazies out there but I suppose as a vulnerable genre we just have to be more vigilant and alert.

The NC is a relaxed little bike, but I think if you get something smaller you will compromise pillion carrying capacity a little more. Perhaps a refresher course on one of these ROSPA motorcycle training courses might help ? Sometimes writing down your feelings and looking them over might help. You have made a start by doing so on here. Best of luck with your deliberations.......

When I die just push me and my bike over to the side of the roadway. Rather die with my boots on, than sitting at home or in some nursing home. Life is too short, live it.

When I die just push me and my bike over to the side of the roadway. Rather die with my boots on, than sitting at home or in some nursing home. Life is too short, live it.

I'm going for the viking funeral. I've got a little sailboat that I built a few years ago that would be perfect.

definitely it's better not to watch youtube motorcycle crash compilation...

Watch all the people who walk away from horrific crashes, and tell yourself loudly - I can handle it when I crash. This is the first thing that you learn at "Lee Parks - Total Control training". Say it and get it out of the system. Riding in fear of crashing will only increase the possibility of fear taking over the right riding technique. Like letting go of the throttle mid way through a turn.
People sleeping in their bedroom have fallen to their death into a sink hole. Just saying - life is short, live it.

Interesting, because I've been spooked at times just riding fast on a highway while my mind drifts to what if..........a semi blows a tire or a deer runs out, etc. It is unnerving. There are probably hundreds of war stories out there but here's my two cents: in 1983 I was hit from behind by a very drunk young girl while sitting at a stoplight and in 1999 I crashed a rented Harley in Vegas. Broken bones, road rash, etc., but here I am. Can't imaging life without riding but can't imagine going through that pain again. Right now, riding is winning.

I actually don't own anything with 4 wheels. Letting my darker opinions loose...Where I live in Florida there's two types of idiots. Who gave that stupid kid a license, and who gave that blind old geezer bat a license! :D And, the amount of cars and idiots on the road is increasing with the population and the aging of baby boomers
A couple months ago I made a nasty post about a horrible day I had. Old geezer in a sports car ran me off the road trying to pass with oncoming cars too close... Gas station changed people and this big fat guy who seemed like an off duty cop or security guard with an attitude ordering me to take my helmet off...then I dropped my bike on wet grass right in front of it's shed. OI! :( Then i changed the post to more or less say...just had a bad day and am thinking of buying a car.
One thing i really have to try to talk myself out of not getting upset about...is when I have a bad day, and I type or tell someone about it, and some Yutz of a Topper always has to have had one worse than me. Kinda makes it seem as if my experience counts less than their's OOOOH!!!! You know that feeling right? Like...STUFF IT PUNK!
So, I may even go a few days without riding because I get spooked. I mean, I've been in 3 wrecks, and then some, with scars to prove it! Do I really want more? AHHHH! :(
Then I go out to the shed, look at my bike, then try and suit up. Once I suit up, then I put my helmet on. Do I feel tight? YEAH! :) Maybe just one more ride? Yeah! Then I forget what I freaked out about.
Sometimes, my mind can be a terrible thing. ;)

Last edited:
I fall into the camp that says being a little on edge is a good thing but riding in fear is not. I only recently started riding on the street after a 30 year layoff. I quit while we were raising our boys and growing a career. Now that I'm riding again (commuting every day), I can say without a doubt that I really missed it. My wife says I'm always in a better mood when I get home and generally just a happier person.

I do not ride on the interstates unless it's absolutely necessary. My commute is 60 miles/day and it's all nice, wide 2 and 4 lane roads. I have had a couple deer who got my attention but have been able to safely negotiate the situation with comfort at the speeds I'm riding.

Johnakay. I must say that some of the roads I've seen in your videos look frightening to me but that's probably just because our roads have a different (more wide open) feel.

All in all, it is certainly your choice to make. If you're not enjoying the biker life, try something different. But, make sure you enjoy life!
>Thom

To ride or not is a tough decision. I rode all day on dirt and had a ball. But trail riding is not even close to riding on the road. I can't speak for anywhere but Arkansas, which is some larger towns, but none would compare to Dallas, and lots of rural areas. We do have our share of idiots as well. Last year statistics and to date this year, 87% of motorcycle fatalities (Arkansas) the biker was at fault on a ticket-able offense. It seems the crashes around here is biker error. Always train, keep learning, and stay aware of your surroundings. Don't ride over your head and don't try to keep up with people with better skills and abilities. Or people on bikes that may be more capable than the one your on.

My only suggestion would be to park the bike for a couple of weeks and see how you feel. If after a while you don't miss it and still think about hanging it up, you probably should. Usually our gut feeling is right.

I think also that practicing a lot different techniques on your bikes is very important for safety, you never know which maneuver can save you.
Usually when I don't ride somewhere to get there I practice. Same goes with physical fitness.

well, I do the best I can when riding.
I wear a high-vis helmet, my riding jacket has hi-vis green on it.
My jacket and pants has armour.
My top box has day light running lites on and is connected to my turn signals.
Ride smart meaning choose the lane, watch the vehicles, speed, position.
My commute is on the san francisco bay bridge. Busy coming and going. Lane splitting all the way.
*most important- change out the horn for a LOUDER horn. It really helps

Last edited:
I can understand riding anxiety. The cagers are often clueless. But the benefits still outweigh the dangers for me. Something will take us all one day. My dream is to be 99yrs old and die in a high speed cycle crash.

I was always interested in riding but always talked myself out of it due to my concerns of the other drivers. My spouse supported me and I am very glad I got started. Each person has their own path but I don't think riding should make you feel what you are describing. Some great ideas here. Taking a break, changing riding environment, riding training...all good. Hope you find the path that brings the smile back :)

Back