• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

seat options

Ridr44

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm about to acquire a 2013 nc(dct). It has the stock seat. What aftermarket seat is getting the best reviews from you folks? Thanks...Dan

You might also look up the thread about the mod to level out the stock seat to prevent the 'sliding forward' syndrome. Many have found that this change makes the stock seat quite acceptable.

Seats are like windshields - what works well for one may not work at all for another. The thing that most people seem to agree on here regarding seats is that the OEM one sucks. Other than that, everyone has their preferences. Some of the different options are Russell Day Long, Sargent, Seat Concepts, Shad, Corbin, Saddlemen, Spencer, Laam or others. Some of these seats are going to raise you up a bit higher which could be a flat-footing issue for those with shorter inseams (like me). Some are more "plush" while others are firm.

Some folks use seat toppers like foam, gel, beads, sheepskin or the Airhawk to varying degrees of satisfaction.

I have the Seat Concepts "low" version which works fine for me. It's one of the firm ones.

Last edited:
The aftermarket seats are personal choice. I don't think there is a best seat to recommend. The aftermarket seats have different character that may or may not appeal to an individual. To recommend one would require knowing your budget, how you sit and ride on the bike, your inseam, your weight, etc.

If the OP described what he was looking for, recommendations could be made. Otherwise this thread will simply have 10 posts with 10 people saying they like 10 different seats.

Last edited:
I have no issues with the stock seat, it got more comfortable with the miles and especially after lowering the rear end about an inch. Not even suggesting that an expensive aftermarket seat wouldn't feel better but you may be surprised. ...Now if you plan to do 10 hours for your break in ride, you may feel differently. It's like riding a peddle road bike, your first ride after a long break is going to leave an impression that hurts on the next ride but a week (and 5 rides) later you feel fine on it for 3+ hours.

Between the Shad, Corbin, and Sargent (or any other seat brand that come to y'alls mind) which one is the softest, or "squishiest" feeling, of the bunch? I would also really appreciate any knowledge of which one makes your seat height the tallest. I'm about 6'1" and roughly 200 lbs with around a 34" inseam so the pegs without lowering them keep me a little crammed so whichever seat was the tallest is most likely gonna be the one I want just because of overall comfort not just my bum. Hopefully I would like my seat pretty squishy too though, however I do workout regularly and squat 300lbs easily so my glutes are well developed from 4 years of high school football and been toned for 300+ mile rides on my old Honda XR650L going to Deals Gap and back every few weekends, taking different route of course, ranging from 275 to 325 mile round trip days. Yet the NC700X I have now, being a better motorcycle to pull a 300 mile day on obviously, my tailbone gets uncomfortable and this seat isn't as "squishy" as my XR seat was neither is it wide enough. Granted it is wider than the XR seat but it still isn't quite supportive enough on its own. I've heard the best reviews on Sargent fitting the bill when it comes to what I'm looking for in a seat but I could be mislead some also by these claims so any information that anyone can provide is highly valued by me and thank y'all very much in advance!

Last edited:
I used Laam for my seat on my st1300 and we will be sending him the seat off the nc this fall. Good prices, comfortable seat built for you and customer service that is second to none.

Between the Shad, Corbin, and Sargent (or any other seat brand that come to y'alls mind) which one is the softest, or "squishiest" feeling, of the bunch? I would also really appreciate any knowledge of which one makes your seat height the tallest. I'm about 6'1" and roughly 200 lbs with around a 34" inseam so the pegs without lowering them keep me a little crammed so whichever seat was the tallest is most likely gonna be the one I want just because of overall comfort not just my bum. Hopefully I would like my seat pretty squishy too though, however I do workout regularly and squat 300lbs easily so my glutes are well developed from 4 years of high school football and been toned for 300+ mile rides on my old Honda XR650L going to Deals Gap and back every few weekends, taking different route of course, ranging from 275 to 325 mile round trip days. Yet the NC700X I have now, being a better motorcycle to pull a 300 mile day on obviously, my tailbone gets uncomfortable and this seat isn't as "squishy" as my XR seat was neither is it wide enough. Granted it is wider than the XR seat but it still isn't quite supportive enough on its own. I've heard the best reviews on Sargent fitting the bill when it comes to what I'm looking for in a seat but I could be mislead some also by these claims so any information that anyone can provide is highly valued by me and thank y'all very much in advance!

The Shad is the softest. In my opinion, it is too soft. The foam will eventually crush down and lower the seat height. That's why I sold mine after 5000 miles. BTW, I'm 165 lbs before donning gear.

The Corbin is probably off your list because it is the hardest. I have not used one on an NC, but I did on a former motorcycle.

I wouldn't call the Sargent squishy, but of your list of three, it probably comes closest to your desires. I bought a Sargent but returned it during the 30 day trial period. The Sargent does not entirely fix the forward slope problem that plagues the stock seat and many others. The Sargent is not taller than stock.

The Seat Concepts is a foam and cover kit that you mount on the stock pan. The standard one they sell is tall, wide, and medium firm. It is the tallest non custom option I know of, but I don't know them all. However, you can order it in softer foam. Your inseam would probably work well with the Seat Concepts. You can call and ask them about the foam choices. It would also be the least expensive after market seat option. The Seat Concepts adds foam height in front which fixes the forward slope problem. I had one but sold it because it was too tall and too wide at the front for a 32" inseam, but it might be the one for you. http://www.seatconcepts.com/store/products#!/Honda-2012-16-NC700X-750X/p/23562917/category=1671356

Last edited:
I have no issues with the stock seat, it got more comfortable with the miles and especially after lowering the rear end about an inch. Not even suggesting that an expensive aftermarket seat wouldn't feel better but you may be surprised. ...Now if you plan to do 10 hours for your break in ride, you may feel differently. It's like riding a peddle road bike, your first ride after a long break is going to leave an impression that hurts on the next ride but a week (and 5 rides) later you feel fine on it for 3+ hours.

I surprisingly found the same thing! I had planned to buy a Shad but kept putting it off, and now I find the stock seat to be fine for anything except extended long distance travel. Even then, if you take a break every hour I don't have an issue. Still plan on buying a better seat, but now I don't feel an immediate need for one.

Corbin is made to order. I had to tell my dealer my weight. In general they are firm out of the box and require some breaking in. Mine went on first thing this year and is feeling pretty good now.

Has anyone tried the Russell on the nc?

Yes, there are some RDLs out there.

One of our U.S. members, NoFearToTrek, has one. He thinks nothing of riding coast to coast on a regular basis on his NC. If we have a group meet up in North Carolina, he's there from Oregon without hesitation. He says the seat just keeps going and going.

The Russell is pretty much the undisputed champ of seats for the NC, but they're pricey, maybe don't match the styling of the bike well (matter of taste), and don't work with short inseam riders.

Thank you 670cc, I'm gonna do a little suspension work so my seat slope mod will be unnecessary so I think I will go with the Sargent and just lower my pegs a little bit too. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge, it is greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Also thank you to slimdude, if I decide I don't like the Sargent I'll get rid of it and go with a Corbin seat, I've mostly heard good things about Corbin seats. I'll just see if the Sargent is too soft or not.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back