• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seat mod......slope change

$10 seat mod that worked great for me.....Just used 7/8ths chair leg rubber tips and a old exhaust hanger...cheap and easily reversible.
IMG_20150622_154508823.jpgIMG_20150622_154459894.jpgIMG_20150622_154444344.jpgIMG_20150622_154433480.jpgIMG_20150622_154427543.jpgIMG_20150622_154211880_HDR.jpgIMG_20150622_154205983_HDR.jpgIMG_20150622_154150703_HDR.jpgIMG_20150622_154145944.jpgIMG_20150622_154138894.jpgIMG_20150622_154123169.jpg

I did the seat mod tonight. I used the chair leg boots like a few others here. I secured a water bottle cap to each rubber bumper on the seat pan. They fit snugly into the chair boots. Put it all together with hot glue and you've got yourself a seat. I haven't figured out a loop like the exhaust hanger yet, but I'll get there.
a699f29074290766281663b7f14ef259.jpg
4932da92a9da10ff3ea2b253c246e4a6.jpg
031e76e159b2aa38c9ad031ecd5bf948.jpg
15556c51748b3724977a4e12985f8531.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran a separate posting on this a while back, but have you given any thought to filling in that space under the seat bottom created when you raised the front slope? If so....how?

I ran a separate posting on this a while back, but have you given any thought to filling in that space under the seat bottom created when you raised the front slope? If so....how?

I was thinking about that this morning and had a thought. It may not work, but I'll only know when I get a chance to do it.

1. Straighten a wire coat hanger.
2. Fold a piece of memory foam or something similar over the coat hanger and secure with hog rings.
3. Bend to the shape necessary to fill the gap.
4. Cover with black vinyl or whatever you desire and secure it with your method of choice.
5. Insert into seat gap and secure seat into position.

That was just bouncing around in my head on my ride to work. I guess I will have to figure out a loop to hold the front of the seat down before I put foam underneath it, but there are so many good ideas here that it shouldn't be hard to do.

I was thinking about that this morning and had a thought. It may not work, but I'll only know when I get a chance to do it.

1. Straighten a wire coat hanger.
2. Fold a piece of memory foam or something similar over the coat hanger and secure with hog rings.
3. Bend to the shape necessary to fill the gap.
4. Cover with black vinyl or whatever you desire and secure it with your method of choice.
5. Insert into seat gap and secure seat into position.

That was just bouncing around in my head on my ride to work. I guess I will have to figure out a loop to hold the front of the seat down before I put foam underneath it, but there are so many good ideas here that it shouldn't be hard to do.

Black foam pipe insulation.

The hot glue doesn't hold up at all. I found a piece of 3/4x1/8 aluminum and I think I'll try something with that.

8f2598a0184c615bc7b9fe34c4c736f6.jpg

This is the finished product. It doesn't look good, but it works and stays hidden under the seat. Cost less than $10 with the aluminum, the washers, and the longer bolts.

8f2598a0184c615bc7b9fe34c4c736f6.jpg

This is the finished product. It doesn't look good, but it works and stays hidden under the seat. Cost less than $10 with the aluminum, the washers, and the longer bolts.

Interesting use of the aluminum for the seat rest points.
Very ingenious.
Good job!

Just did the "showkey seat mod" and it makes a HUGE difference! Everyone has close-up pictres of the new gap... but from few feet away you wouln't notice it at all. I used the rubber chair leg method... figuring it would also gives a little vibration dapening and it was less drilling. I shoved a socket inside and cut them off at the first mark... this gave me something to cut against. Nice and clean.

I also put 3 washers inside the chair leg because there was still a small gap between the steat mount bottom of the chair leg. It probably was not necessary but I didn't want the sides of chair leg to collapse.

Thanks @Showkey!!!! Thanks everyone!

IMG_20150826_141410.jpgIMG_20150826_141635.jpgIMG_20150826_140400.jpg

I mentioned "from a distance" you wouldn't notice so here is a pic....
I've also put a few miles on this mod and I'd say it's MUCH better. I wouldn't go so far to say it's perfect... but much better. At least I didn't think about the seat the last time I hopped on and went for a ride. ;-)

IMG_20150909_154926.jpg

I finally got around to doing this mod according to the collective advice I've read in this thread. I used the 7/8" rubber chair tips and a 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum strip bent to shape.

As someone else here suggested, 3/16" of an inch was cut off from the open end of the rubber chair tip (use a utility knife with a 5/8" spark plug socket inserted into the chair tip to make the cut).

To close off the gap between the seat and the side panels, I used a 52" length of 5/8" foam backer rod and ran it around the sides and front of the seat. The backer rod squeezes into place tight enough that it shouldn't go anywhere.

UPDATE: The ends of the backer rod were rerouted to go behind the passenger grab handle following the seat contour -- looks better.

SeatTabHolder.jpg
FrontSeatBumper.jpg
FrontSeat.jpg

Last edited:
I brought some old chair bottoms I found in the basement, they must have been one for one inch chair legs as they were too big. I ended up cutting some 1" pieces off an old carbon fibre bike seatpost and adding some rubber from an inner tube for some vibration abatement.

The bracket was made from an old stipped out hose clamp, held on with self-tapping sheet metal screws.

seat mod.jpg

The mod cost me a grand total of $0 and half an hour of perfectly enjoyable tinkering. I tried lifting the front even more but what everyone else has been doing felt about sitting on the center stand. The real test will come in the spring.

I just built a metal U loop and screwed it to the original one just under 1" above it, just like others have. Then, where the two rubber bumpers at the front of the seat used to fall on the support brace, I drilled two holes and mounted two 1"-tall hard rubber feet for live music speaker enclosures (I design boutique speaker enclosures) so that seat's rubber bumpers rested on top of those. then I filled the area under the seat with closed cell foam cut from interlocking floor mat sections from Costco -- it's two sections deep in front tapering to one section deep in the back, for some additional damping and support.

Feels like it might be just what I need, especially once the beloved tight-fitting SIT & FLY seat cover is added, which also will hide the gap better. Now to ride and find out if this is true.

480x480-3379.Jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just built a metal U loop and screwed it to the original one just under 1" above it, just like others have. Then, where the two rubber bumpers at the front of the seat used to fall on the support brace, I drilled two holes and mounted two 1"-tall hard rubber feet for live music speaker enclosures (I design boutique speaker enclosures) so that seat's rubber bumpers rested on top of those. then I filled the area under the seat with closed cell foam cut from interlocking floor mat sections from Costco -- it's two sections deep in front tapering to one section deep in the back, for some additional damping and support.

Feels like it might be just what I need, especially once the beloved tight-fitting SIT & FLY seat cover is added, which also will hide the gap better. Now to ride and find out if this is true.

480x480-3379.Jpg
Report back your findings I'm curious

Report back your findings I'm curious
I like the slope better. But only 120 miles riding today, so until my Sit & Fly arrives and I put it on, I'm not certain yet whether it'll be all I desire for a long day in the saddle...

Back