• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seat Concepts

Cigar Mike

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I thinking about trying the Seat Concepts seat for the NCX. There has been many good reports for dual sport bikes. Has anyone here tried them.

Their seat kits include foam and cover to be installed on your seat pan. They will do install for $20.

I did see the thread on install. I would like to know how much improvement in comfort. Please let me know what you think after putting some miles on.

I am very happy with mine. I got the gripper top material. It is very sticky. I almost wish I had gotten something in between the slick OEM cover and the SC Gripper. Probably just one of the SC carbon covers. Maybe they will sell me just a cover without a new foam pad? Either way, the foam is much better for me than stock. Here are a few comparisons. The white foam is the new SC, yellow is OEM Honda.

10286587_10203690048796863_575208403_o.jpg

10309973_10203690048156847_2069952926_o.jpg

This pic is the best I could find on my phone of a completed shot.

897516_10203878162659592_593297980_o.jpg

I bought a sub $20 Harbor Freight pneumatic stapler and (I think) 3/8" staples. Maybe 1/4" staples. At any rate, you want them short so they don't poke through the outside. Install was easy. The hardest part was just making sure the cover stayed stretched as I was going. I used 3M spray general adhesive on the foam to keep it on the pan and to keep the cover on it. After removing and reinstalling some staples to do some more stretching, I am happy with the results. I have one minor wrinkle that I just couldn't stretch out, and it is slowly dissipating as the cover and foam conform to their new home.

After daily riding for the last 3ish months on the SC, it is much better than stock. I no longer get a pressure point in my chode/taint area after an hour in the saddle. Be aware, though, the SC foam does add about an inch to the seat height. I have a 34-36" inseam (depending on brand of pants). With the stock seat, flat footing both feet at a stop was a non-issue. It was effortless. Now with the SC, I have to make an effort to flat foot both sides. It is now more intuitive to me to land on the front half of my feet. To touch flat on both sides, I have to adjust my seating position, then wiggle back once I'm moving again. It's not really an inconvenience for me, but it might be more of an issue for a shorter legged person.

Last edited:
I have the seat concepts seat and I found it to be an improvement over stock but not a huge "night and day" improvement. I think I need other farkles to address my comfort issues such as lowered pegs and/or highway pegs

For me, the lowered pegs, seat concepts seat, and 1.5" bar riser have combined to make a much better ride. No one item is a "night and day" change, but cumulatively they work together really well for me.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Mike,
I have purchased and tried all of the commercially available after market seats available in the U.S.A. for the NC700.
1. Stock seat, 2. Corbin, 3. Seat Concept,(both regular and gripper cover), 4. Shad Comfort seat, 5. Sargent Cycles
Ranking the seats from best to worse the order would be;
1. Best- Corbin 2. Seat Concept (regular cover) 3. Shad Comfort 4. Sargent Cycle 5. Stock Seat (worst)
There may be custom seats that are superior to anything I have tried. I'm always looking.
The only problem with the Corbin is that you really need to do a ride in for the best fit.
I am currently riding with the Corbin and have not currently found anything better.
Your results may vary!

Seats preferences are, of course, a personal thing based on your body build. I tried the seat concepts, and as much as I wanted to love it, I quickly sold it and bought another stock seat. I smile 5' 8" with a 32" inseam, and I found the SC seat too wide at the front and too tall overall, as well as too hard. I think the SC would be very desirable for a larger, taller person, but not good for a shorter, lighter person. I now use a Shad and I've put 5000 miles on it in the last two months with no issues.

Again, I love the DIY concept and the value of the SC, but it just didn't fit me.

I love my Seat Concepts. I use to have a Corbin on my FZ6 and did not like the firmness of the seat. Many have had luck with the Corbin. If you like a softer seat it may be the one for you and you definitely can't beat the price. It does add some height. I'm 5'8" and 32" inseam and have no issue. I do suggest the gripper seat material. I had the "normal" material to start but with my textile pants I kept sliding toward the front. The gripper keeps you planted like a tree!

IMG_0543%255B1%255D.JPG

Thank you for all of the reviews. From my experience it does not sound like any are worth the money. I have used Corbins on other bikes, they are an improvement but not worth the money they want for them now. The only Corbin that was really good was the one I had built when I went to there place in Holister California. They worked on it until it was the way I wanted it. They even provided a free lunch for us while we waited.

Thanks again,

Mike

I'll just throw in my $.02 that I really like my Seat Concepts seat. Easily as comfy as the Sargent I had on my last bike, and a definite improvement over the stock NC700 seat, IMO. With my sheepskin cover, my butt was fine after my Iron Butt 1k mile ride.

trey

1113 miles in 23.5 hours on my Seat Concepts seat last weekend and it was my shoulders that ached the most after the ride. The seat performed very well. I'm still getting an RDL this winter though.

Anyone in Virginia want to meet up and compare "off the shelf" seat replacements? I've got a Shad that I can offer up and I'll have a home-made custom in a few weeks. It could be a good opportunity to see what works with your setup (peg and windshield position as well as your suspension setup). It might even end up as a swap meet. We could meet up in a central location. Swap seats and ride for a predetermined route or length of time. Probably worth changing up every half hour or so depending on the number of participants. End the route where we start and head our separate ways. If nothing else, it would give some good metrics for describing your wants on a fully custom seat.

Any takers?

I am very happy with mine. I got the gripper top material. It is very sticky. I almost wish I had gotten something in between the slick OEM cover and the SC Gripper. Probably just one of the SC carbon covers. Maybe they will sell me just a cover without a new foam pad? Either way, the foam is much better for me than stock. Here are a few comparisons. The white foam is the new SC, yellow is OEM Honda.

View attachment 18291

View attachment 18292

This pic is the best I could find on my phone of a completed shot.

View attachment 18293

I bought a sub $20 Harbor Freight pneumatic stapler and (I think) 3/8" staples. Maybe 1/4" staples. At any rate, you want them short so they don't poke through the outside. Install was easy. The hardest part was just making sure the cover stayed stretched as I was going. I used 3M spray general adhesive on the foam to keep it on the pan and to keep the cover on it. After removing and reinstalling some staples to do some more stretching, I am happy with the results. I have one minor wrinkle that I just couldn't stretch out, and it is slowly dissipating as the cover and foam conform to their new home.

After daily riding for the last 3ish months on the SC, it is much better than stock. I no longer get a pressure point in my chode/taint area after an hour in the saddle. Be aware, though, the SC foam does add about an inch to the seat height. I have a 34-36" inseam (depending on brand of pants). With the stock seat, flat footing both feet at a stop was a non-issue. It was effortless. Now with the SC, I have to make an effort to flat foot both sides. It is now more intuitive to me to land on the front half of my feet. To touch flat on both sides, I have to adjust my seating position, then wiggle back once I'm moving again. It's not really an inconvenience for me, but it might be more of an issue for a shorter legged person.

Sorry to go off topic but who made your saddle bags? Are they much of a hassle stretching over the seat like that ?

Sorry to go off topic but who made your saddle bags? Are they much of a hassle stretching over the seat like that ?

They are Yamaha bags from (I think) an FJ1300. Not 100% sure. I got a good deal on them and they work well. They are semi-rigid. They install very easily. Only two little straps stay on the bike frame, everything else stays with the bags and can install/remove in less than 2 minutes. The HONDABIKEPRO rear rack can still open to access the fuel filler with the bags installed.

They are Yamaha bags from (I think) an FJ1300. Not 100% sure. I got a good deal on them and they work well. They are semi-rigid. They install very easily. Only two little straps stay on the bike frame, everything else stays with the bags and can install/remove in less than 2 minutes. The HONDABIKEPRO rear rack can still open to access the fuel filler with the bags installed.

Definitely not from a FJR1300 because they come with hard bags and there's no soft bag option (unless you consider the factory saddlebag liners that come with a new FJR). The FJR mounting system would not be easily adaptable to another bike.

I'm not happy with the NC700 seat, mainly because I slide forward on it when riding (as many others on the forum have complained about). I haven't done any long rides on the NC and that's where you really notice how bad a seat is. My wife is the main rider and she has no problem with the seat, so no need to spend money on aftermarket options. We did a 1300 mile long weekend ride this past weekend and she's happy with the long distance comfort on the seat, even after a 400 mile day.

I should mention that I was investigating seat options for the NC700 when I was gathering farkles for it and besides the usual options, Seth Laam (laamseats.com) offers a custom seat that sounds promising. I know that his seats are getting rave reviews at the FJRForum.com where I hang out often. Lots of Iron Butt guys are happy with their Lamm seat, although the Russell Day Long is still the king of long distance comfort seats. But the Laam seat costs much less and would be a great choice for those of us that only occasionally do extreme mileage. As a matter of fact, as soon as I can get CFO approval I'm getting one of his seats for my FJR1300.

Back