• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Seat Concepts installation and evaluation

Helix

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally gave up on the stock seat. I tried the seat tongue over the loop and that really helped and convinced me that raising the front of the seat was part of the solution. Seat Concepts (SC) states that they built up the front and dished out the rear portion so I was pretty sure that was the direction I needed to go. I called and asked them how much they thought their system would raise the overall height of the seat and they thought it would be pretty neutral.

I tried my manual staplers and found that it was very difficult to get any of them to punch staples firmly into place, so I bought a Harbor Freight air stapler, since I had the compressor and the connectors. It worked just fine at 90 psi. and can go up to 120 psi. SC recommends 1/4" and that's what I used. I found SS 1/4" staples at Home Depot.

I removed the stock cover and foam and when I first tried the SC foam and cover on the seat pan I thought I'd made a big mistake. I couldn't see how I was going to remove the wrinkles from the compound curves front to back and side to side. I was ready to box it up and send it to them to assemble. I thought about it for awhile and decided to give it a try so I swiped my wife's closet heater to heat the cover in the shop. SC tells you that heat is your friend and that is definitely that case. Note: I did not glue the foam to the pan and I did not use the plastic film as a water barrier but should make your own decision on that. There are several YouTube videos that are helpful but the important parts to me are to very firmly and with a lot of heat stretch the front pointed corners very tightly, staple it in a couple of places near the center, pull tightly to the center rear and staple near the centerline. Then about midway along the side get the welting all the way to the edge of the pan and staple. From there it's a matter of stretch and see what it takes to remove the wrinkles. You will probably have to remove and replace some staples as you go through this process. I was pretty satisfied with the initial results and only had a small wrinkle on either side. That was almost gone the next morning. Before I did any more correction I wanted to ride on it a bit to see how it would stretch.

Finally, after 2.5" of rain it cleared off and got up to 50 deg.F so off I went. I had the seat installed in the stock location and the changes SC made in the foam had the fore and aft angle very good. It was quickly noted that the foam was much better than stock even though I think the overall height was increased by 1/2". Normally I'm wiggling around after 45-50 miles and today I was fine at 70. Note: on longer rides and trips, I wear cycling shorts with a padded crotch and with that setup I've ridden several 450 miles days on this bike, but I was very uncomfortable. What I did notice is that the All Carbon cover I selected was slick. On braking I would slide forward. Were I to do it over, I'd get the Carbon side and the Gripper top. Guess I should have listened to my riding buddy who made that choice for his Africa Twin.

Conclusion- It's an excellent solution for a flawed stock seat and if you don't want to mess with the fabrication yourself, just sent them your pan with the stock cover and foam removed and for $25 they'll install the foam and cover. With this seat I know I will be much more comfortable after 450 miles. I used to do 600 mile days but hell, at 76 I'm just glad to be riding.

Helix

Hi Helix, Interesting observation. I had a SC seat fitted at delivery to my 2016 NC750X so cannot speak of the stock seat. At 5'10" the SC seat slopes too far forward for me. I see I can make up a bracket and relocate the front of the seat higher but should not need to do that. Plus it has the gripper cover which I dislike immensely! To adjust my seating position I physically need to stand up a little and move as you cannot slide at all. In contrast, I have a DR650 with a SC seat with carbon material on top and gripper material on the sides and it is awesome, I love it! Super comfy and beautifully done. Cheese and chalk.

PS. Just did the seat level adjust on the NC by raising the front. Sitting in the garage it feels heaps better already (I use a sheepskin on it so I am not sitting on that uncomfortable and aggressively grippy gripper material).

Last edited:
Grrant1058,
The stock seat is pitched down in the front (that's why most owners complain about it) and my SC seat, in the stock position, is noticeably higher in the front. It even has extra foam to bridge the gap with the tank that results when you place the stock seat on top of the tongue bracket. My SC has no forward pitch, and is quite flat in front and dished in the back. Makes me wonder if they changed the design between your early-in-the-year seat and mine.

I like your suggestion of carbon top and grippy sides. Sounds like a good compromise.

Rode again today in our 50 deg F weather and it was just fine after 80 miles. I'm envious of your what must be warmer temps in Oz. I have friends in Melbourne and hear from them weekly. You live in an interesting place and I wish I could make there for a ride. Also wish we could get the 750 like you do.

Helix,
I curious as to what your inseam is. I tried the SC seat 3.5 years ago (or whenever it was introduced), but with a 32 inch inseam, it did not work for me. I sold it in a week. I've noted over the years that larger people with longer legs tend to favor this seat, so I was just wondering if that's why it works well for you. I assume you bought the standard SC model, and not the low model.

Thanks for your excellent post.

FYI, the Seat Concepts seat (and probably any other aftermarket seat) feels better the longer you use it. I don't know if it's settling in to your weight or what but I have found the comfort level slowly increasing the longer I use the seat. I've had it for 2 or 3 years now and am quite happy with it.
It won't ever come close to Russell Daylong seat... but then it was about 1/5th the cost so I won't complain.

Someday I'll get a Russell Daylong... maybe when I retire :D

Back